E3 2006 - Post your predictions

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Feb 9, 2006
    USA, KS
    E3 is shaping up to potentially be one of the best of any year, what do you think we'll see from the major companies?

- I think we will here a lot from them with many big announcements concerning new titles, etc. They new this E3 is a big one for Sony and Nintendo so I'm sure they've been saving a bunch of stuff to steal back some attention.
    - The next Halo at least mentioned, likely with some images and a video. But it won't come out this year. My bet is this isn't set to hit until Holiday 2007. Update 3/30: "Sources" say March 2007.
    - A big push for what people will have this year in contrast to the other companies hyping what we won't see until this Holiday season/Q1 2007. They'll want to say "you can play our system now and here is why you should care."

- They now have to prove everything they've been talking about, show what they really have. I actually think I'll be most disappointed with Sony this year, PS2 had a lot of hype and then the big E3 event was really more of a let down. I hope that doesn't happen but am apprehensive.
    - A big show for their big popular franchises like Gran Turismo, MGS, etc. I think they'll use a lot of sequels to known franchises to get people excited; I wouldn't put FF7 remake past them, it'd be a huge splash. The next Tekken, etc.
    - Online stuff, 'it's a computer', and tell us what we really have to pay for it.

- The "big" mystery; I have no idea if the "last big secret" will be amazing or not, I don't want to get hyped and it just be an extra controller attachment or something.
    - Hands-on, I think this will be a huge push for Nintendo because they have said many times that you have to play to understand, they want a bunch of people to do that and they want them to like it so much they do free promotion for them, word of mouth is the best advertising you can get.
    - Zelda:TP, showcased and playable on the Revolution.
    - A handful of games that are all playable to really show people what the system is made of.
    - A few videos of those missing franchises that aren't playable.
    - Final system name, release date and pricing, my bet is no higher then $199.99 USD.
    - Rev/DS connectivity, Online service/Wi-Fi

I think all the companies have been holding their cards closer to their chest this time around because they all want to steal the show!
  2. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    No sexy scantily clad booth babes. They've been banned from this years E3. That's republicans for you ;)

Sony will have demos but very, very few of them will be playable. most will be pre-rendered as per usual. We don't want to let the cat out of the bag about the true peformance of the PS3 in comparison to the 360 until it's on the shelves and selling a bucket load...

Nintendo will have a reasonable showing, of course Zelda will steel most of the show, and they will have some hardware demo's from the revolution and maybe a small tech demo for people to see how the controller works..

Actual games, will just be a list with some movie footage. As usual Mario 128 will be chinese whispers.....
  3. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Predictions? Nintendo will steal the show this year.

The unveiling of a very secretive console? check. A very sought after game (zelda)? check. loads more DS and Rev info :D ? check.

That said secretive things do drum up a lot of interest. We pretty much know the way of MS and Sony now.

Actually, the final case/controller for the PS3 might be a very big event indeed.
  4. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    I can't imagine not buying a PS3 and a Revolution when they launch. I only need to know pricing, so I know exactly how much jewelry my gaming addicition is gonna cost me this year.:D
  5. ibilly macrumors regular

May 2, 2003
    I think that the revolution related announcements will be 20% letdown, but there will be a lot of positive from new zelda stuff (DS title = wow!) and new DS infos/releases. I'm expecting more wifi enabled games...
  6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    This is going to be the Sony show this E3. Nintendo will have there time to shine(they better show more MP3) but sony will run with this.

If these companies do not spill the beans on everything this E3 i will be angry(damn companies pulling the hide n seek game...its boring and its time to reveal)

7. kuyu macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2003
    Good idea for a thread!

Microsoft: Everyone's expecting Sony and Nintendo to steal the show but MS has said before that there's more to the 360 than we know. I'm thinking the MS keynote goes like this...
    -Keyboard/mouse: 360 works with anything that uses USB.
    -Web browser: compatible with Java, flash, etc.
    -Dashboard 2.0: download in the background, increased download speed
    -HDMI cable
    -100 more backwards compatible games
    -Video streaming from any pc, not just media center
    -7 or 8 new Arcade Games (that all use the camera)
    -360 camera

...all available today!

Plus the usual up and coming stuff.
  8. ibilly macrumors regular

May 2, 2003
    While possible/likely, wouldn't a lot of this seem like "sorry guys, but we've been lying to you about your $400 console... surprise!"
  9. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    I could definitely see most of that actually happening, maybe a larger hard-drive option as well. They will probably talk about HD-DVD drives for the 360 too.
  10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    - Halo 3, talk about new and upcoming games, show more third party support.

- No FF7.
    - PS3 launch lineup, tech demos, several surprise games
    - PS3 playable
    - More PSP downloadable content

- Revolution's final name
    - Revolution playable
    - Zelda: Twilight Princess on Rev hardware, Metroid Prime 3, and Super Smash Bros shown, possibly playable
    - A few surprise game announcement
    - New Kirby Adventure either shown on GameCubeor pushed back to Revolution
    - Release date and pricing
    - Revolution's online service, free, Virtual console
    - Revolution can download DS demos and transmit to DS
    - Other secrets
    - LOTS of downloadable DS demos, at least one new DS game announced.

It'll be a showdown between Nintendo and Sony for best presentation.
  11. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Jan 12, 2006
    I wouldn't count on this. The 360 is just a Media Center extender.
  12. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Ok there is that, but probably only the Xbox 1080 announcement is going to cause any distraction from announcing the Revolution in its nakedness. 2 years ago they said "it will cause a gaming revolution" last year we're shown a mad new controller. this is the final year to show the world. finally the most secretive modern console is going to be released. a console that's caused a huge stir in the internet world with literally millions of rumours, fake images, blah blah. Its a hyping phenomenon. The press and the people want to know. It's where Nintendo's hush-hush and disruption strategy pays off.

As much as I'd love more reasons to buy a 360 (very close, they're adding more BW compatible games which is very good for me). I can imagine the Rev-revealing alone stealing the crown. Remember the first Twilight Princess, the DS and E3 last year?

anyone else hoping Sony will show the final PS3? This will be the last E3 before it's out. Big things will be shown. no doubt at all.
  13. BoyBach macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2006

I agree! Unless Sony and/or Microsoft do an Apple and pull something completely extraordinary from behind their curtain, this years E3 is Nintendo's to lose. The 'official' unvieling and naming of the Revolution with hands-on demos of the Revolution version of Zelda plus a video of the new Mario game will have the gaming press wetting themselves in excitement :D
  14. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    But that was part of the whole point of going! :eek: You played games, oggled at the studio-heads' cars and checked out the booth babes :D

It was on digg a few days ago that either the next version or the version on from that of wassitcalled is going to do full media streaming
  15. mkaake macrumors 65816

Apr 10, 2003
    Hmmm... it'll be an interesting year for sure.

I'm a Nintendo guy myself, but just because there's more of us here, we shouldn't underestimate the massive droves of other fanboys. I think Sony and N will share the stage, about 50/50 for excitement.

At least pre-show.

I have a feeling the PS3 will be a bit of a let down compared to what they've been claiming...

But then, if the last 'revolutionary' thing about the rev ends up being a flop...

Anyhew, here's my prediction:

• Xbox supply chain being filled, easier to purchase now
    • Showcase a few new games, maybe a peak at Halo 3
    • Talk about how many have been sold, how well it's doing
    • Small upgrade to the dashboard.
    • New faceplates.
    • Show off the final controler, talk about how it's better than anything else in the world.
    • Pre-rendered vids (still). Maybe 1 or 2 playable demos.
    • Will NOT disclose release price
    • Show off the final controler, talk about how it's better than anything else in the world.
    • Playable demos of first party games, including some new mario adventure, zelda.
    • Massive list of launch titles from third party developers, playable demos.
    • Another console added to the virtual console
    • Final release date/time period
    • Final release price
    • Fully interactive control with DS - maybe the DS will become a configurable secondary controller for the Rev.
    • Oh, and final name of the Rev.

I really don't expect Sony to 'reveal all'. I think they'll toot their horn about how great blu-ray is, and how great the console is, but I *really* don't think they'll have anything playable. Maybe I'm just a skeptic...

on further thought, I wouldn't be suprised at all if the final 'revolutionary' thing about the rev is that the DS is a configurable controller. they've got the setup for it already - they can download to the ds through the rev, and a small program is all it would take to make the touchscreen of the ds into a bunch of buttons of any shape/size that the developer wants it to be... just a thought.
  16. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    However, the GBA did that with the GameCube, so, while I agree that they'll almost certainly have it, I doubt that it will be pushed as revolutionary
  17. mkaake macrumors 65816

Apr 10, 2003
    Good point. If they do, I'd see them pushing it as benig able to define your own controller...

On that note, not to get too off topic, but what games actually used the GBA link?
  18. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    My brother has a Harry Potter game that does :D And I think Pokemon Colluseum does
  19. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    That's true, but the interface options with the GBA were more limited than the GC controller, and didn't bring anything new to the system (it had a DPad and 4 buttons, thats it - the DS has more buttons than the Rev and a touchscreen, so it can offer something more). That said, I don't think it will be a big feature, unless they plan to pack a DS into every Revolution box sold.

Ok, my predictions:

- Halo 3 for sure. They have to show something big to help keep from being panned over. Playable? Maybe, but at the least lots of video, pehaps a real time demo. (As in SOMEONE is playing it right there, but not E3 attendees, some engineer who knows exactly what not to do to crash the thing).
    - There's been some rumors about a MS portable media machine that also plays games... maybe a peak at that?
    - XBox camera accessory, with a bunch of EyeToy like games available on XBL.

- Final controller/console.
    - Probably a launch window, perhaps a price tag.
    - Nothing playable, but hopefully a real time demo showing off the systems power.
    - PSP downloadable games stored on the PS3 HDD and transmitted wirelessly or via a USB cable to the PSP?
    - Lots of video clips showing "expected graphical performance".
    - Lots of new PSP games announced, with some clips/shots, a few playable.

- All of the secrets will come out... what ever the 'big one' left is will seem tame after all of the hype, but still be cool. I still suspect wireless mics as a standard part of the controller, for both chat and game control. (That'd make for some really cool flight sims and squad based FPS).
    - That includes the name, which will be something similar to Revolution. Like Nintendo REV or RV or Nintendolution or something. :p
    - I'm expecting lots of kiosks with playable Rev's, to be honest. A little playable portion of both Zelda: TP and Metroid Prime 3, plus several tech demos highlighting the controller not the system.
    - Launch dates, price.
    - Some details on how the Rev will interact with the WiFi system. (Will it use the manual friend codes, will the buddy lists be unique to the games, etc).
    - GB/GBA games on the Virtual Console? GameGear (which was just a Sega Master System, no?), too?
    - For the DS, full details and release date for the Phantom Hourglass, along with demos, I'm hoping.
  20. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Feb 9, 2006
    USA, KS
  21. Abulia macrumors 68000

Jun 22, 2004
    Kushiel's Scion
    You're all wrong...

The Phantom shall be fully unveiled and will steal all the hype of E3!

You heard it here first! :D
  22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    It may be announced though.

The first Zelda: Twilight Princess trailer was shown in 2004.
  23. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Feb 9, 2006
    USA, KS
    Yeah, I didn't change my prediction (Post #1), even though my guessed date is now wrong! I still think I've got a chance at being right on the other Halo-related bits though.
  24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    The problem was, only a few games used it because 90% of people who own both a GameCube and a GBA don't have the special link cable, so companies didn't bother- and it's a downward cycle, because since no games use it, no one buys it, since no one buys it, no games use it.

The DS and Revolution however both have WiFi. You won't need a link cable- you just need the Revolution to transmit a program to the DS via download play, and bam, DS is the controller.
  25. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

Dec 9, 2005
    Gainesville, Fl
    XBOX and N256 :)

For XBOX:

I hope they reveal PSO (Phanasty Star Online) the newest version. I'm so addict to it!!!!

Also, hope they can improve R.U.S.H. (classic, not LA RUSH)

Com'on, HALO! Bring it on! I heard there's gonna be 50 players online :)

For N256:

Let's hope they bring Mario, please not Sunshine!!

Um, I think that's it. I haven't played any games in a while...