[E3] GT Day 1 Roundtable (and my problem with PS3 defined)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, May 11, 2006.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Feb 9, 2006
    USA, KS
    GameTrailers.com (I'm lovign that site more and more) just posted an E3 2006 Day 1 Roundtable discussing what they were seeing on the floor and what they thought of the conferences.

A pretty good video I think; check it out let me know what you think.

One of the guys involved in the discussion outlined my big problem with PS3 and I don't think I really realized it...

In order for me to "buy in" to Sony's next generation I am forced to buy in to a bunch of other non-gaming related hardware I don't personally care about.

Blu-ray, right there. I don't care about it at all and to enjoy Sony's new games I don't want to be forced to help them push their format, forced to participate in their war with HD-DVD when all I want to do is play some MGS, maybe some Final Fantasy, etc.

I won't argue regarding what you get in terms of hardware and integration really seems worth the asking price, if that tech is something you want to buy, but I jsut feel they are asking to much of general consumers and gamers, such as myself, who care only about the games.

People that do want all that extra stuff didn't like Microsoft's approach, while I did. They catered very well to the core audience and also made options available for those that want it. HD-DVD addon is a good example. It could have easily driven costs up $100 like Blu-ray has done to PS3, instead they opted to release that as an option for those that care. For people like me who don't, we aren't being forced to buy in to something that isn't specifically about gaming and something we don't care about.

Anyway, that's my take... and eveidently at least one other person agrees according to that video.
  2. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    Yep I pretty much agree with that completely. I dont think either BluRay or HD-DVD will win, especially with HVD out in a couple of years time....

The core bundle microsoft gave people the option of at least adding those upgrades should they need them, how many xbox 360 owners bothered with the wireless adapter? If you bought a core xbox you were allowed an upgrade path, with the PS3 your told, if you cant afford 599, prepare to be shited on from a great height....

How many PS3 users will use Linux? A nominal amount....

The fact that only half the PS3 users can now have access to HD movies, simply because some stupid genius wanting to bite the hand that feeds him, decided to take out HD movie playback on the 499 model by taking out HDMI... IDIOTS!!!

Nah Sony are asking WAY TOO MUCH from Joe Public and when faced with a decision of buying a

$499 sony to an undoubtably discounted for hoilday $349 Xbox 360 premiun and both then are pretty much identical, it's gonna be hard for little johnny to pursuade mom and dad to spend the extra $150 difference
  3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    I think MS will keep the current price structure for this holiday season, assuming Sony doesn't back track and drop their prices. Rather I think they will up the bundles.

$299 will get you the current premium system... a HDD, a wireless controller, and the WiFi adaptor.

$399 will get you the current premium system PLUS they will put in the HDDVD drive.

They will be under Sony's price for a similar system (HD movies, wireless controller, HDD, etc) by $100-200 depending on how you look at it. Plus, you'd hope they will have the supply issues worked out by this point as well, so more or less unlimited 360's available versus <1 million PS3s in each territory.Combine that with the Wii, and Sony just might bomb HARD this year.
  4. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Feb 9, 2006
    USA, KS
    Yeah, Sony has made it perfectly okay for MS to keep their current prices, imo.

Any opinions on the linked video roundtable discussion?
  5. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    That is my problem with consoles in general. Which is why i am going Nintendo cause it will be cheap and only include what i want. Now if they sell adapters as an add on, that is fine with me. If i happen to need something i will buy it afterwards. I prefer to have things i don't need, not on the system but available to be bought afterwards when they are needed.
  6. RoxStrongo macrumors regular

Oct 8, 2005
    Bournemouth, UK
    i have been really unimpressed with the 360 in almost every way but now when compared to the ps3 it seems almost godlike. i am definately getting a wii and am so glad i have a ds to get me through this sparse time. however in the unlikely event i find myself with more time to play games i would definately go with the 360. the ps3 seems even clunkier than the 360 (who thought it could be possibe?) and silly things like removing rumble, make me question how next-gen things really are. if it was truly next-gen i would be in a silver jumpsuit with some neck-breakingly heavy helmet on.