E3 Moblog - E3 Coverage

Discussion in 'Games' started by ScottDodson, May 17, 2005.

1. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

Hey guys, I'll be attending the E3 expo this year (well, tomorrow lol) and keeping a MoBlog of the event. I'll be in a team of 2 guys running around, snapping pics of just about everything I can with my phone, and my digital camera (so all pics won't be just from the phone) if there is anything you guys would like to see let me know here or at the MoBlog. Granted, if I get a request it may take a little time depending on where we are at and when we get the message...but we'll try our hardest :-D

I'm so excited!!

E3 MoBlog

2. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

Revolution and new Zelda please please please :)

3. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Blizzard

World of Warcraft

Starcraft ghost

4. ScottDodson thread starter macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

I will definitly be hitting up both those for sure!
    I'll keep you guys updated on the status...I'm sure I'm hitting Nintendo first thing tomorrow morning, and I can have someone run out to Blizzard. :-D

5. ScottDodson thread starter macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

Just got into the expo, it's pretty crazy in here. Stopped by to see the gameboy micro...it's awesome, I have a cruddy phone pic up of it at the blog...and the conference WiFi is crazy slow, so getting "real" digital pics up will be slower than expected...but I've got someone on it.

6. ScottDodson thread starter macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

Nintendo VoIP

Voice over IP on the Nintendo DS during INTERNET gameplay!!! I'm at the nintendo booth now...

A sweet new Pokemon game for game cube...Pokemon XD. Look SWEET. apparantly you can use all info from other pokemon games and trade/interact with the GC. Full on RPG, not like colluseum or battles.

Donkey Kong 2, Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossings DS.

Nintendo seems to be pretty DS oriented so far...really pimping it hard.

No revolution seen yet...

(mods if you see a problem with me updating this thread as I go along the expo, let me know...I'll stop)

7. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

8. ScottDodson thread starter macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

*update*
    Nintendo:

GameCube:

MARIO BASEBALL Looks hilarious
    Super Mario Striker (Soccer)!!
    Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix
    Mario Party 7
    Fire Emblem: Looks VERY good
    Batallion warriors: Seems to be a kids battle type of game.
    Nintendo Pennant Chase Baseball...looks OK.
    Geist: First Person Shooter, looks pretty decent graphically, similar to project Snow Blind.
    Donkey Kong Country 3
    Yoot Saito's Odma: VOICE ACTIVATED real time strategy...the demo for this is great...yell "charge" into the microphone, connected into the controller and it controls the game. Graphics "OK"
    Pac man world 3
    Zatch Bell
    One Piece (fighter)
    Medal of Honor: European Assault

DS:
    Nintendogs: Voice interaction, wireless interaction with other people/dogs, all 3 versions available 3rd Quarter
    A "Sonic" game
    Metroid Prime hunters
    Dynasty Warriors
    MANY more games, not labeled...just demo movies...

Free Downloads for DS (demo games): Palarium, Meteos, Turbo Hockey, Submarine, Electroplankton, Zelda Preview Trailer, Zelda Picture gallery.

Nintendo seems to be pushing their platformers pretty hard (mario expecially). Still no sign of revolution

Free handouts recieved: nintendogs dog, mario DS stylus, DS downloads ;)

Going up to Media room to upload High Res. pics to MoBlog now. This is just a quick rundown of what I'm seeing so far, more detail to follow.

9. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Good Good after you upload where are you going?

10. ScottDodson thread starter macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

K, lots of new pics up...
    we are going to XBOX (which mind you right now is crazy...people SURROUNDING the 360)

Pictures of all the stuff I mentioned above...at the moblog.

(p.s. burnout for PSP and Castlevania for DS are fantastic!!)

11. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Any clues to nintendo have a surprise on the 19th? Also witch console is getting the most attention?

12. ScottDodson thread starter macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

We haven't heard anything about "clues to the 19th" but I'll get someone on it.

They seem to be really pushing the DS...AND...Gamecube...NOTHING about Revolution still! We are thinking it's behinds the scenes at the moment. We are gonna' try to set up a meeting with them, as we have meetings with Sony and Xbox for some behinds the scenes looks...but don't know what we can really talk about here.

There is also some "overhearing" of revolution being a handheld as well as console floating around...but I think it's pure speculation, as we are just "overhearing" random visitors talk of what they think. I myself don't believe it's true.

but it turns out we are heading to the PSP/Sony area next...not XBOX...sorry guys (we are trying hard to get as much as possible)

13. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Hmm well the lack of presence by the revolution does point to the rumors so I guess that is a good thing. Can't wait to hear about the PS3 ;-)

14. ScottDodson thread starter macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

*Update*

XBOX:

Far Cry Instincts: Graphics are REAL GOOD, 4 player split screen that actually *looks good*. Comment from a passerby..."that looks freaking amazing".

Blizzard:

Star Craft Ghost: Huge sign for the game...like SUPER HUGE. Tons of people surrounding it. Graphics are fairly good...huge multiplayer screens going on. "reminds me of planetside" is what the person next to me is saying...I believe graphics are better. Vechicles, including planes (hovercycle, two turbines in back one seat ;) ), 8 player multiplayer. This generation...*built* for XBOX, hopeful for other consoles, demo's playing on all 3 systems (showcasing on XBOX). Graphics for XBOX compared to the others is "much better". In Alpha stage, playing a specific E3 Demo build....Red Vs. Blue 'ala halo style. They are gonna' try for more races (possilbly 2), but currently have the humans. Star Craft Ghost video playing in the back (pre-rendered, cut scene). The level in demo looks pretty darn good.

World of Warcraft: Just straight up video from what we can see.

PC (sorry guys, I know we are mac :( but this is great):

Enemy Territory Quake Wars: "Oh my god" Graphics. *pics will show*, 2006 release. The best graphics by far of anything...AMAZING. By splash damage...futuristic fps.

These are 3 booths I stopped at on my way to XBOX...

Pictures and video will be available of these 3 when we upload next...soon!

15. Tech^salvager macrumors regular

awesome
    thanks for the good update

16. ScottDodson thread starter macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

*update*

XBOX 360

Full Auto: Car shooter game. Graphics pretty blocky. "most destructive racing game ever" according to Sega. Looks "ok"...not impressed for XBOX 360.

Condemned Criminal Origins: Definitly looks sweet, definitly "Next Generation". FPS, Dark dingy game. on demo, a bot broke off a piece of a locker and beats player with it. glass environments look very rich and can damage surroundings.

Top Spin: by 2K sports...tennis game. NOT dissapointing at all, a higher step from the original.

Call of Duty 2: not necessarily "next generation" (possibly generation 1.5) graphics compared to others...models look VERY nice though, but not "blown away". A definite step up from original call of duty games, but compared to other 360 titles, it looks like a port of 1st gen with minor updates to graphics. Trying to find out info on multiplayer...

DOA 4: If you've seen the demo pics, then you know how great this fighter looks. Graphics are real SMOOTH, as well as the animation...seamless. backgrounds..are well...take ninja gaiden's backgrounds, and multiply that by 10.

XBOX:

Half life 2: looks phenomenal, looks much better than how my PC at home can run it. "Doesn't miss a beat" compared to the PC version. Full game. The dynamic lighting looks fantastic. Much better than Doom 3 XBOX graphics.

Gauntlet, seven sorrows: Looks like a beefed up, updated Gauntlet legends.

Apparantly XBOX has changed it's logo for everything accross the line evidentally, the 360 logo now applies to the orig. XBOX.

next post will be first impressions of the XBOX 360 hardware...

17. ScottDodson thread starter macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

*Update*

XBOX 360 Hardware Impressions:

Well, at first glance you can see this thing is VERY well designed, very sleek and smooth looking. But it gets even more impressive up close. Very sexy curves on this thing, the side curves are very hot. I thought for sure this thing would have been huge...at least that's what I thought from seeing it on tv. It sure isn't! We aren't talking GameCube size, but it is definitly smaller than the original Xbox and looks like it was created to compliment your existing home system. You can tell that it gets warm though, they have big fans running next to each one (maybe because they are enclosed?). At each Kiosk they had a rep. demoing the games...all which were pretty decent with the information.

Next the controller. SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL. Fits great in the hand, very comfortable and natural. It would make it hard to go back to the original xbox controllers for sure. All the controllers were wired though, for security purposes obviously.

End of Day 1
    Well, I know we didn't get a chance to hit a whole lot of playstation stuff, or as much others as we hoped...honestly with the combinations of phones not working in there, the WiFi problems, and the power outages, it was a pretty hectic day. The Expo is getting in about an hour, and we are gonna' head back to the hotel to try to figure most of today's info/previews out. We have a bunch more pics/info/video that we will post once we get back. Not sure if we are hitting any "after parties" or not...but it's been a long day! Tomorrow we are hitting Sony for EVERYTHING, and recapping Nintendo and 360 stuff as well. There are MANY rumors floating around about Nintendo tomorrow. We'll see.

Also:
    the MoBlog has more pics and videos up, including 2 vids of the new Enemy Territory. Check em out! And I apologize in advance for some of the dark pics...some of the lcd's are tough to get a good shot at! We'll post more once we have a chance to sort through them, instead of frantically posting random images.

18. ScottDodson thread starter macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

*update on gameboy micro

Well they just whipped out a few micros to give the crowd a hands on feel of the thing...and I'll tell you after I played it...I'm in awe. This thing is gonna' be a big winner for Nintendo. I had all the thoughts on how this thing was gonna' do...I mean, ANOTHER advance player? Well this thing is awesome! Smaller than my phone, screen is awesome! crisp/smooth, the thing feels/looks great. Screen size IS NOT A PROBLEM...I thought it would be...

They had zelda trailers playing off it's SD cardslot adapter.

I took a bunch of pics and vids of this too.

Not a PSP killer...and I hated the thought of it when Nintendo released it, but after playing it...I'm sold.

19. ScottDodson thread starter macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

Well with day one under our belts, it's safe to say E3 is quite overwhelming indeed. The place is just so huge, it is impossible to hit everything in one day...or even half of that. Here is our last post of the day, more of a recap than anything:

Nintendo:

Still no showing of the Revolution. And we asked A LOT. Many different Nintendo reps, people, the rumor mill...nobody had any information what so ever. "Don't know, even if we knew we couldn't tell you" seemed to be the mantra of the Nintendo people today. Blank stares like we were from another planet...the buzz about it is HUGE at the expo, everyone is excited and rooting for nintendo. I hope tomorrow is a big day in regards to them.

The DS had a great showing today, lots of fun games...the VoIP feature, internet play

Gameboy Micro: This thing is fun! I was a non-believer...but now I'm converted. screen, style, form factor, portablity...exceptional.

XBOX:

Some strong games coming up for the XBOX 1. Half Life 2, Far Cry Instincts, Star Craft Ghost, Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows, The Nightmare Before Christmas, all look great.

XBOX 360:

Hardware looks fantastic in person, controller is just as good. Although I was slightly disappointed in a couple games on demo there (Full Auto, Call of Duty 2, even though people are drooling over CoD2) The rest of the demo's were fantastic. Condemned, DOA, Need for Speed, The Outfit, Perfect Dark Zero all great looking. And for us Mac guys, you would be happy to know that some XBOX360 demos were running on the old cheese graters ;)

Sony:

This place is huge. We didn't get a chance to even get near the PS2, PS3 or PSP today. Combination of meetings, setting up meetings, and soaking in everything as we go through it kinda takes a toll on our timeframe. On the MoBlog there are a few PS2 game screens of games for you (Dragonball Z Budokai tenkaichi, Soul Calibur 3, and Dragon Quest VIII), and we did get to see Kingdom Hearts 2..we weren't allowed to photograph..but it's niiice. Fear not, tomorrow we have a huge chunk of "sony time". But sorry again we didn't get a chance to hit it today, I know PS3 is huge.

We also have to hit sooo many more independant booth's it's sickening...

Anyway, we posted some more screens of the Gameboy Micro, which as stated before they pulled out at the end of the expo as sort of a "treat" to the crowd. There are also 2 Videos of actual gameboy micro playing footage!! I think we have the only video out there on the web of that ;)

Also, some other random game/free stuff pics, and the CAll of Duty 2 trailer. Enjoy, see you guys tomorrow for another day of E3!

20. potofgold macrumors newbie

They were running on G5 macs with a lot of the features turned off which ended up making them not look as good. :( This is true

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2420&p=5

21. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Hey. Can you ask the Nintendo-guys when Micro will be out in stores?

Great job! Have fun! Give us the lowdown on Revolution! :D

22. ScottDodson thread starter macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

Hey guys, in line for the door opening now...30 minutes.

Poff- We asked the people giving micro demo's and we got the same information as we did about the revolution. They don't know. In the video we posted on the blog of micro footage, you can hear my brother talking on the phone saying "No release date. No price." ;)

It's weird how these nintendo reps seem to know nothing :rolleyes:

23. ScottDodson thread starter macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

Well we stopped off at Nintendo first thing this morning to try to get some kinds of scoop about "today's news". Still nothing available. We hear from our friends "monitoring the net" that there is some speech today at 12 from Nintendo? We haven't heard anything about this at the Expo, and we asked some Nintendo reps and they said they had no idea what we were talking about. Anyone know where this speech is supposed to take place? No one here at the expo has heard anything? I'll check the listings again :eek:

Also, there is a HUGE line for a chance to take a shot at the new Zelda game. They have a 4 map playable demo from what I'm told, and the line is an expected 3 hour wait :( We probably won't spend most of the afternoon waiting, but we'll try to get some new footage. We also have a meeting slated with Nintendo tomorrow, so hopefully we can get some nice screens there too (and information about the new revolution when they *supposedly* release it today ;) )

24. ScottDodson thread starter macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

Well no nintendo announcement from what we see. We have a guy at Nintendo's booth, he says it's the most busy booth at the moment (most likely because the booth is the most spectacular to see, and has the most freebies) with tons of people, but nothing new...he's just playing nintendogs until he hears something, lucky guy ;)

*IF* we hear ANYTHING I'll get it here asap, but like I said before, we never even heard of any *announcement* down here on the floor. We just had a few meetings during the day so far, so sorry for the lack of news.
    We have sony, the new zelda, quake 4, and ut 2007 all on our hitlist for today...

25. ScottDodson thread starter macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

Well that was disappointing, oh well.
    Anyway we put up a new vid of Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks (gameplay footage) on the MoBlog as well as some other random shots. We have more vids and pics to upload soon (Quake 4, and some Sony stuff) but we have a meeting with GameFly right now :cool: so we'll get those up after that.