E3 thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by kuyu, May 12, 2004.

1. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Well, since we're all mac people, I'd imagine that most gamers here rely on the consoles for their game fix. So, in that spirit, here's the E3 thread (electronic entertainment expo).

First, the new PSP looks AWESOME!!! I saw some screens of Gran Turismo 4 on the web, and OMFG.

Second, the nintendo DS is the innovative idea of the show. Choosing between the ds and the psp is going to by a tough call.

Third, new Zelda trailer looks to be nintendo's finest work.

Anything else look really sweet to anyone else (like Halo 2!!!) :)

2. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

I'll be going to it tomorrow and friday so I'll report back on what I found to be amazing. This is my first E3 so I'll have alot to be "wow'ed" about.

And finally, an official release date for Halo 2.... Nov. 9, 2004.

3. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

i dont have the pleasure of going to e3, but i just checked out the web page... the PSP is definatly something im going to take a look at... just because its nifty... the new gameboy me thinks they couldve put a little more effort into though... it looks like they just slapped another screen on the current SP model...

i didnt like halo... i know... im the only one...

metroid prime 2 on the other hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

I watched the nintendo webcast live, their shows don't quite live up to apple's keynotes but there was still some fun sony and m$ dissing heheh. Being a bit of a nintendo fanboy the DS looks really amazing, not in terms of its specs but due to the touch screen and speech recognition. Hopefully developers will really try and use it inventively although I fear only few will. I wish the top main screen was the full width of the machine though, it would be nice to have a bit bigger screen. Damn nintendo for their complete lack of regard for Europe though, atleast sony tend to ignore the US aswell as Europe. The PSP also looks good although nothing really new, it seems most of the games will just be old ps2 games rather than new titles, they dont seem to realise that to really sell alot of consoles you need some key exclusive titles, even from your other consoles. However the screen looks awesome but I'm a little scared about what the price will be when it comes out.

5. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

im expecting that freescale will annunce something at E3 here look at this email

6. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

I wasn't all into Halo, but Halo 2 looks awesome, so does Starcraft:Ghost. So does Fable, and Half Life 2.

7. Applexilef macrumors regular

Oh this thread is not fair! I started a thread 4 days ago about the E3 conference on the community forum and no one answered! Now it's on the second page lost forever :( :(

Anyways, you guys know where I might be able to see the 8 minute HALO 2 footage that was recently released? (not the video release from last year) IGN has it but you have to be a member. It has to be out ther for free...

8. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Yeah, add Doom3 and Men of Valor and it looks like a great year for FPS fans (yeah, Fable isn't FPS but damn that looks awesome too!).

You might have started it alittle early that's all. I really didn't get excited about it until I didn't get invited to the Vivendi Universal party (long story...). Are you talking about the video of the multi player demo that Microsoft did at their press conference?

9. Legacy of Pain macrumors newbie

Halo 2 vid

FilePlanet has got the direct feed video from the show, and in two sizes.

Medium 480x360 (227 MB)
    http://www.fileplanet.com/files/140000/140536.shtml

High 640x480 (337 MB)
    http://www.fileplanet.com/files/140000/140538.shtml

You'll have to be a member to get it, though, but that's no biggie.
    BTW, it ROCKS!!! :cool:

10. kuyu thread starter macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Ok, I've been glued to the web for about 2 hours, and here's what I've gathered.

The Phantom will be free, so long as you pay the subscription for two years. Still no word on titles as of yet. (which games they get will make or break this new "sega channel")

xbox live arcade sounds similar, but no less intriuging. Seems like broadband content delivery is this years M.O.

Fable looks great, as does Jade empire and rogue agent.

Still can't decide whether sony or nintendo will win this new "handheld war", but if history is any indicator then PSP will have more games, while the DS will have better games.

Glad EA and microshaft hooked up for madden et al to be live. Bout time.

Half-life 2 has already cost a reported $40+ million dollars!!! That's movie budget money!

Can't wait for the new zelda, or the handhelds (dubbed G.P.A. Killer 3000). My whole campus is wifi, so class will definately get more fun. something about having a WAN/LAN party at school while in different buildings just sounds cool.

Oh yeah, sega's taking over on the new Matrix Online game. should be cool if you have a pc, I don't but it's good to see the envelope pushed a little further.

11. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Yeah, but the trailer looks so sweet! Man, it's going to be a good year for gamers! I wonder what Doom3 and Halo2 is costing....

12. Applexilef macrumors regular

13. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

try www.gametrailers.com

They have a bunch of trailers from E3 and the Halo 2 demo (it streams in windows media, blah!).

14. amyhre macrumors member

Who says you have to choose between the DS and PSP? If you can afford it, get both. I certainly would.

15. Freakk123 macrumors regular

Nintendo
    Zelda: Ocarina of Time is probably my favorite game ever. The trailer for the new Zelda... Well, it just blew me away... To me, there is no way there can be a bigger gaming announcement than this. I haven't been as giddy as I was when I found out in a very long time. There is NO possible way this game can come out soon enough. I cannot wait!
    The Nintendo DS looks good. I like the dual screen stuff, and the wireless gaming, and the instant messanging capabilities, and the fact that the lower screen is a touch screen... I'll almost certainly choose this over the PSP, as its made by Nintendo, and I love Nintendo, and also because it will definately have a lower price point and longer batterylife. And Zelda and Metroid and Mario and the works.
    A few other games also look great, such as Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, the new starfox (which I hope will go back to its Super NES and N64 roots), Resident Evil 4, etc. Also, I'm happy that Nintendo has a code name for there new console, The Revolution, which apparently is supposed to mean that the new system will revolution and very different and (hopefully) awesome.

Sony
    The PSP certainly looks very impressive, but I (secretly) hope it fails. But I hope I can save up enough money to buy it and Metal Gear Solid: Acid. It would make me very happy, as Metal Gear Solid for PS was probably my second favorite game ever, and I just replayed it as Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes for GameCube.
    Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater makes me very happy. Just the thought of a new MGS does. So new info about it made me happy. But other than that, Sony didn't have any great announcements (IMHO). Although, like I said, the PSP is extremely attractive.

Microsoft
    Halo 2 looks ridiculous. Last years 8 minute E3 trailer is the second most exciting and breathtaking trailer (other than this years Zelda Trailer, but I'm biased). I'm gonna lose sooo much sleep playing Xbox live with this game. I've stayed up until 4 playing NFL Fever, a bad game, on Xbox live with my friend against two stoned guys, so I just imagine what would happen playing Halo 2 online. I'd be up for a week straight.
    Fable looks interesting. I hope it doesn't suck. Peter Moleneux's claim that it will be the best RPG ever is ambitious, and I would love for him to be right.
    Also, I am very pleased with the EA Sports on Xbox Live announcement. More hours of sleep lost.

So, all in all, a great E3, especially for pseudo Nintendo Fanboys such as myself. Handhelds are looking great, and the future for all three companies in the console market looks promising. Now, to go back to my waiting for Zelda.

16. bux macrumors regular

Off topic...
    To Freakk123, your signature is wrong.
    The creator of Linux is named Linus Torvalds.

Anyway, on the topic.
    I wish that I sometime will go to E3 :(

17. benpatient macrumors 68000

well, well, well....

if you haven't seen the 700mb half life 2 video from the vivendi and ATI booths, then you need to either get in line at fileplanet, find a bit torrent of it, or go find a friend who has gotten it already. It's friggin' amazing. This game will not be touched for level of fun or level of sophistication in 2004. Doom 3 looks great, and so does halo 2...but HL2 just takes it to another level. I know that a lot of you guys know that you need to play games on a PC instead of a Mac, and that another lot of you guys will not touch a PC for anything...not even games.

All i can say is, to those of you who are so stubborn...every time you turn on an XBox, you're playing a PC. So you might as well get over it and make a concession.

I say this because anyone who misses out on HL2 for such a reason cannot call themselves a gamer...it's just...wrong.

18. bux macrumors regular

Just watched the Halo 2 and Half Life 2 videos and WOW they look cool!
    But... will any of these games be available for Mac?

19. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

I agree. I didn't do HL1 and don't care all that much for FPS' but HL2 looks like you've been dropped in the middle of an Orson Welles Sci-Fi. It does look truly amazing.

My only problem, no one has mastered the FPS controller and I don't like KB/Mouse. It's just not fun, it's work.

How about some hardware innovation to go along with the great games?

20. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I have seen the Half Life 2 video as well and even so the graphics looks amazing I am interested in how the game play will be. I personally don't like these stupid shooters. They just get so boring. I like to have a great story which is somehow open like in Deux Ex which is for me still one of the best games ever.

21. bux macrumors regular

True, shooters without a good story sucks.
    Well... shooters do get boring after a short while anyway :)

But as for the graphics for Half Life 2, it's very nice... but it's probably just another shooter (let's hope so :D)

22. cubist macrumors 68020

Somebody please ask about Rise of Nations for Mac. (sigh) Sounds like nobody's doing anything but first-person shooters anymore. Bleah.

23. Mercury macrumors regular

How would one get into E3, anyway? I live pretty close to the convention center and I've always wanted to go, but not having any "actual" (non-fictitious) connections to the gaming industry...

24. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

There are plenty of good games coming out that aren't FPS. Halo 2 just kinda stole the show :) I think Fable looks like an amazing rpg.

25. benpatient macrumors 68000

deus ex was created because valve created Half Life and showed that the story was what made the game, not the graphics or the monsters.

half life is considered such an incredible game because the story was great. deus ex was one of my favorite games, and its story is on the level of half life.

if you've read any interviews or previews or anything of HL2, you would know that the story, the experience of the game is the driving force, not the graphics. They are just showing screen shots and movies to get interest from the wider gaming market, which always wants to see cool graphics and stuff. how many screenshots of Civ 3 did you see before it came out? like 3 or 4, probably, because they weren't impressive and nobody really cared about the graphics anyway. Well, i a 3d first person game, you must address the graphics as completely as possible to help make the experience as "real" as possible.

HL2 will have an incredible story and incredibly fun gameplay because that is the focus of its development team.

don't be mad because the best game of 2004 isn't going to come out on OS X...you should be used to that by now!