E3 Xbox 360 Vs PS3

Discussion in 'Games' started by thechris69, May 18, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502

thechris69

Plain and simple, based on E3, what system in your opinion is the better buy?
    -Graphics
    -Value
    -Features
    All these categories came into play when I watched E3

Graphics- PS3 is better graphically, but not so much that I would buy it over the 360

Value- As you know, the PS3 is more expensive, and Xbox 360 plans to chop the price right before PS3 comes out

Features- Sure, PS3 has built in Blu Ray, Cell, and Harddrive, but your paying about 100 bucks more... and when would you need 60GB??? Whats the deal with the PS3's controller, or should I say the PS2's controller

So that is my 2 cents about 360 VS PS3, I choose 360 because for cheaper you get roughly the same features and same overall system

Your opinions would be great!

2. macrumors Core

Dagless

Nintendo destroyed Sony and MS :cool:

But. I think MS beat Sony to a pulp. If you haven't seen around these forums, or any forums, you'd know the general feel for Sony was "poor". Or better still if you saw the media event itself you could probably tell.

3. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Ahh gad not one of these threads....we all know what went down.

Bless

4. macrumors 6502a

Trowaman

I agree with raggedjimmi.

between the "next gen" consoles M$ has destoryed Sony this round. However, the "new gen" Nintendo, has taken both to the mat.

Personnally, I recommend a Wii for fun, newness, and best franchizes, and M$ for classic gaming of controller in hand/graphic based games. Amazingly, the two systems together will cost the same as one PS3.

5. macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

2 cents

i would say xbox 360 all the way. Nintendo has a couple cool looking games, games i wouldnt mind trying out. But for some reason i really dont like the Wii mote or what ever its called. Again this is just my 2 cents, take it how you may.. But it all comes down to what system has the games you want to play. I never got into Metal Gear and most of the games i like for the Playstation are coming to Xbox360 (Gta4, Devil may Cry, and more). So for me xbox was the answer.

6. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Graphics - PS3 by a slim margin. Cell should make for better physics.

Value- if you have a HDTV, PS3 is a better value. If you have a 1080p HDTV, PS3 is a VASTLY better value. If you have a regular or EDTV, XBox 360 is a better value. If you don't want Blu-ray, XBox 360 is a better value.

Features- 1080p, Linux, full use as a PC (including the ability to use video streaming apps like VLC or apps like VNC), network server for transferring data, streaming video, bigger hard drive, Bluetooth- PS3 takes the cake. However, the price may outweigh it.

PS3 is better, significantly so if you have an HD setup and want Blu-ray, but if you don't want to join the Blu-ray crowd then you may view it as overpriced with gimmick features.

7. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

To be honest I didn't see anything that showed PS3 had "better graphics" then 360. Just comparing MGS4 to Gears of War, I think they were equally impressive visually even if they did have different tone/style.

But yeah, I have no desire to start one of these thread again! You should do some searching and find all the other threads on the topic... and add your opinion there. :)

8. macrumors 6502a

saunders45

1080P is still theoretical as to the PS3 being able to output a true 1080P signal (GT4 HD) with all the wiz bang graphics (Then there's the whole, finding a tv that actually accepts 1080P signals.. Sony's own SXRD line only accepts 1080i and upscales it) As far as Linux and "full" PC functionality, they didn't mention jack about it at E3. I wouldn't be suprised if that gets scrapped to.

9. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

For 1080p: Even if most games don't support 1080p (which some will), I'm sure it'll at least sport 1080p video playback and 1080p output in Linux and stuff like that. Since 1080p devices are so rare, it'd be a must buy if you are one of the 0.1% of people who own 1080p TV's :p

Linux:
    Sigh, nobody read my post about it. I'll quote it again.
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060516-6846.html
    Full Linux support and even built in compilers and dev tools. This info is coming from E3 and from IBM.

10. macrumors 604

clayj

I have a 5-year-old TV that will accept AND display a 1080p signal.

But it doesn't have HDMI or DVI ports. ;)

11. macrumors 68000

Holy crap! And I thought proper 1080p TVs had only just reached the market!

12. macrumors 6502a

saunders45

yeah but Clay, we're talking about tv's that most people buy, not your un-natural setup. ;)

13. macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Yeah, but the way Sony makes it sound, you'd think that all their games are 1080P. From what I remember, I don't even think that there is a "launch" title in 1080P.

Let's just say, going by previous Sony examples, I'll believe it when I see it. I just can't see the use for it. People who would actually buy it, and use it are like what 1/2% of buyers, maybe?

14. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

PS3 will have the best graphics of any of the three systems. This does not mean that every PS3 game will look better than any 360 game.

15. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Best Graphics??? On paper yes, in reality - Still to be proved. In fact the 360 GPU is meant to be more powerful than the PS3's.

HOWEVER..

All three consoles in reality will do very well, I forsee the market becoming more level 33/33/33....

Sony have the most to prove to me before I part with €620 Ireland R.R.P.

It's the first time in a long long while that I wont be buying a console at launch.

I will however buy a wii, however reading this months E3 and going on comments made at the developers conference prior to E3 that Nintendo WILL stagger the release of the Wii, and then no mention of release date for any territory at E3 - I fear Europe wont be seeing wii until next year.

16. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Well I did say that I didn't see anything that really looked better, and the topic is E3.

And I think you mean "best graphical capabilities", since what we see in a game is what actually matters. And in that regard, the 360 has a technically more powerful GPU (graphics) while PS3 has technically more powerful processors (CPU/SPEs).

That is in terms "capabilities", of course - it doesn't mean either systems strengths will be utilized enough for this to be realized. However if any would be, it would be 360 since it is easier to tap into its power then the PS3. (as in, the system will be most likely to reach it's theoretical capability limit.)

17. macrumors 6502a

For lack of a better term, Sony lies when it comes to graphics capabilities. They did it on the original PSX saying it could push a million polys/s and the truth is that they had to be un-textured, un-shaded flat polys to do it. They also gave numbers that made the PS2 the most capable current-gen system and it ain't so there, either. Heck, if you've played DOA2 on the Dreamcast and the PS2, you know the Dreamcast looked better. Same goes for other games, too.

18. macrumors 6502a

From what we saw at E3, it looks like PS3 has the technical aspect down and Wii has the innovation down. XBox has the current lead because they got out the door first. Sure Xbox is cheaper than a PS3, but $400 is still too much money for a system without high definiton. However, all of this is really irrelevant if they don't get good games (anyone remember jaguar, Lynx or Neo Geo?)

Right now the XBox 360 has next to no games and it's been out for how many months (just look at the shelves in your local EB)? Of those games, maybe 2 have piqued my interest. The original XBox was the same way, there just weren't enough hard-core RPG games. Nintendo has been, with the excpetion of RE4, putting out kiddy games. Mario was fine when I was in middle school, but not when I'm 30. Whether or not you control Mario by waving around a TV remote or with a traditional joystick, it's still Mario.

So far, aside from FF13, I have seen no real announcements of PS3 games that interest me either, so I for one am going to stick with the PS2 and see what games come out in the next couple years.

19. macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately it's not always fair to compare ports of games between systems. Oftentimes more time is spent on one system and the other systems are rushed. Take Gauntlet for example. On Nintendo 64 it looked great, but on the PS2 it was terrible. That was a good case of not taking the time to port the game right. And didnt King Kong looks worse on the 360 than it did on PS2?

All of that's not to say that all computer companies (Apple included, whats with the 4x as fast junk) distort tech specs to mean what they want them to mean.

20. macrumors 6502a

A minor nit to pick: Neo*Geo was arcade hardware in a home box with arcade games available for it that sold for multiple hundreds of dollars each. The system had no base RAM; the memory required to play the games was built into the hardware itself, making the games expensive. The system itself sold for $500 in the '90s, and it had a TON of great games so long as you liked SNK's line of fighters, the occasional puzzle game, and a couple sports titles.

Jaguar, Lynx, and even 3DO I'll give you, because they were home machines for the home market and the games just sucked royally.

21. macrumors 6502a

occasionally this is true, but all of those games are exceptions that prove the rule. Look at pretty much any EA game - sports or otherwise. The Burnout games, the Need for Speed games, Madden, whatever it is. They all look better on the more powerful system - Xbox first, Gamecube second, PS2 third. Same goes for most other publishers - Midway's stuff looks better on the more powerful systems as does SEGA's - just look at Super Monkey Ball on all three systems. It's got unbearably long load times, lower quality graphics and sound...just detracts from the playability and the fun.

22. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Obviously if you are a Square-Enix gamer then PlayStation or GBA (for the oldies) is the only way to go.

Other then that, my interest is opposite. Sony showed nearly no games that piqued my interest but Microsoft, to my surprise, did. They also have several high profile (but not franchise) RPGs coming. Enchanted Arms is out and it looks good from what I've seen.

23. macrumors 6502a

My bad ;) Neo Geo was not an example of bad games as much as it was an example of way over-priced (which it looks like PS3 may be cruising towards). Didn't Neo Geo have some feature in Japan where you could take your saved games and play them in the arcades? It always seemed to me like a rich-kids toy.

How about TurboGraphix 16, while we're on the subject? Though that one had some really awesome games for it (Ys comes to mind).

24. macrumors 6502a

TG16 was in a bad spot, I think, because the Genesis was so strong in the US at the time of its release (They were released abotu the same time but there was a huge difference graphically and audio-wise that put the TG16 to shame) and the execution of the TurboGrafx CD was so bad that the system failed. Also the TG16 didn't look enough different in terms of graphics from the NES...and with good reason, it used the Hu6820 - an 8bit CPU. Bonk was really, really cool though.

The same system (under the name Turbo Duo, I think) in Japan was the #2 console of the 16-bit era, beating out the Genesis/MegaDrive.

In the end Sega and NEC both learned the hard way that a FMV game is not a popular game.

http://www.emucamp.com/vgee/tg16/

Check out the screen shots at the bottom...the Master System put up a competition to the TG16.

25. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

WHAT???? :eek: Your joking right? King Kong looks a whole generation better on the 360, oh wait it is...... Seriously thats the most ridiculous thing I've heard.

Next to no games on the 360???

Oblivion
    Kameo
    Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
    Call of Duty 2
    Project Gotham Racing 3

Full Auto
    Tombraider Legends
    Fight Night Round 3
    Amped 3
    Burnout : Revenge
    Battlefield 2 : Modern Combat
    Perfect Dark Zero
    TopSpin 2
    FarCry: Instincts
    Dead Or Alive 4
    Condemned

The Outfit
    King Kong
    Tiger Woods 06
    Madden 06
    Fifa 06
    Fifa Road to the World Cup
    Football manager 06
    NBA 2K6
    Final Fantasy XI
    Blazing Angels
    Need For Speed : Most Wanted
    Ridge Racer 6
    Rumble Roses

There only the ones I know are out, I've probably missed some.

Of those the highlighted ones are all AAA titles. Others vary from average to very good.

Not many consoles 6 months into life have as many AAA titles.

PS3 launch lineup looks very poor, sure theres some great titles to come, but the launch lineup looks dull. singstar etc......