EA Delays Release Of Mac Port Of Madden 08

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 17, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

EA is receiving rising criticism around the Mac web for not delivering on a bold promise made at this year's WWDC to simultaneously release Mac versions of popular game titles, such as the recently released Madden '08.

In speaking to AppleInsider, an EA spokesperson pegged the delay on the company's inexperience developing for the platform.

EA's 4 previous titles (Battlefield 2142, Command and Conquer 3, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and Need for Speed Carbon) are currently available via the Apple Store, although all have a shipping delay.

Article Link
  2. macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2002
    Charleston, SC
    surprise.. Mac sales won't bring much for ea so thy aren't going pull out all the stops to get that out soon
  3. macrumors newbie

May 15, 2007
    A slap in the face of Apple and all those that want to play games on the Mac. Does anyone really believe that if Apple built computers with better game performance things would improve?

Time for that game console?
  4. hob
    macrumors 68020

Oct 4, 2003
    London, UK
  5. macrumors 603

Apr 21, 2003
    Could it also be lackluster graphic cards in the iMac, MacBook etc?

Hardly gives EA encouragement that people will play games on their Macs when the graphics card is lacking..
  6. macrumors 68020

Jun 28, 2007
  7. Editor emeritus

Jul 10, 2003
    Falls Church, VA
    no merge.. that is on C&C 3. This is more regarding Madden.
  8. macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2006
    insidemacgames:"In speaking to AppleInsider, the spokesperson nonetheless claimed that four ports of previously released titles -- Battlefield 2142, Command and Conquer 3, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and Need for Speed Carbon -- were already available in stores. As of press time, however, EA was unable to provide the name of a single store at which customers could purchase any of the titles.

A brief survey by AppleInsider of Apple's stores, as well as Amazon and several other leading online retailers, revealed that none had the games in stock while only a few outlets were offering pre-orders. Some online retailers known to carry Mac software, including Amazon, made no mention of the Mac version whatsoever while listing available copies for Windows and several video game consoles."
  9. macrumors 6502a

May 23, 2006
    Football games on PC suck anyway - if I want to play Madden (and while we're at it WHY can't they put NCAA '08 on PC/Mac/Wii? It's the same freakin' company and the NCAA football games have been shown to be in the top 5 sellers every single year!!) I'll just go buy an XBox or PS3. Having the controller in games like this makes all the difference in the world. Having to be stuck with up-down-left-right or moving your guy around just isn't the same as using your thumb.

That being said there are some games that should have NEVER been ported to the PS/XBox - one that comes to mind is the Sims. way way too many things in that game that scream USE A MOUSE...
  10. macrumors 6502a

Jun 24, 2003
    I agree, without any 3rd party game controllers, the PC is a lusy gaming device. I wish someone would figure out how to play video games on the computer!:mad:
  11. macrumors regular

Feb 7, 2007
    All these games are currently available in a number of stores.

What number is that?

Zero! Zero is a number! :rolleyes:
  12. macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2004
    While this sucks... look at the upside(s)

1) at least they are trying

2) They are waiting to put out a quality product, vice a premature buggy launch.
  13. macrumors 6502a

Jun 27, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    Yeh you keep thinking happy thoughts.
  14. macrumors 68030

Jun 16, 2007
    PC is a great device for first person shooters. I could never play FPS with a PS3 or XBOX360.

Not a huge gamer, though.
  15. macrumors 68030

Jun 20, 2005
    guys.. i don't get it. are you both serious or just lacking knowledge? Logitech makes a few variations to play on the PC.

I haven't seen anyone use a keyboard due to a lack of a good game controller since the 1st days of a pc...

i'm logging off to play a game right now :)
  16. macrumors 6502a

May 23, 2006
    Sure but some of the reason in having a game controller is not having to sit that close to a screen but if you're doing it on a computer chances are you aren't sitting at a 23"+ monitor (mind you I said chances are - I know some of you guys have those monsters) I just don't like playing football (and sports games in general) on a PC, I like sitting on my couch with a big screen and monstrous surround sound :) I agree with the earlier post tho - first person shooters are definitely a PC genre - that's another one of those types of games that just scream for the accuracy and flexibility of using a mouse...
  17. macrumors member

Jan 7, 2004
    Boston, MA
    3) Not having to play another crappy Madden game
  18. macrumors newbie

Dec 10, 2006
    EA and quality? if we are waiting for them to put out a quality product we might as well just give up all hope of anything becoming of EA games on the mac

i still have nightmares of 2142's 1.25 patch with the losing key packets and randomly dying from a fall when i am running on the ground :p
  19. macrumors 68030

Jun 20, 2005
    good points. I just wanted to make sure you knew they existed b/c as silly as it sounds, some might not :)

I agree with the tv and surround. i've got 2 kids, i'm the stay at home dad, but there's no way in hell i'm getting a console b/c i would be one crappy dad :) lol i wouldn't get anything done! lol i'd be there non-stop. heck, i'd prolly get divorced.

So, this is why i stick to my pc gaming b/c the only time i really play is when i'm waiting for my macs to finish a project or render something :) and i'm still on madden '05 b/c my peecee is older.

20. macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2005
    Austin, TX
    As if EA doesn't have enough resources to solve this problem! If they were a small studio, I'd understand, but they have plenty of money to throw bodies at the problem so they can live up to their "bold promise"
  21. ATG
    macrumors regular

Aug 7, 2005
    UT3 is the only game I'm getting for my iMac. EA sucks
  22. macrumors 6502

Jun 6, 2007
    I hope we are not setting our selfs up for disappointment. First with the delays and the empty promises next with how low quality they games might be.

I really hope that apples choice of hardware does not turn down developers.
  23. macrumors P6

Feb 3, 2005
    Right side of wrong
    man, i really wanted to get Madden for Mac. i guess i'll have to get it for my 360 i guess
  24. macrumors 6502a

Dec 26, 2006
    Hello??? Mac? Gaming? What's wrong with this picture. Move on......
  25. macrumors 65816

Jan 14, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Exactly. This news story does not surprise me at all.