EA: GoW has "No Innovation"

Discussion in 'Games' started by jdechko, Nov 10, 2006.

1. jdechko macrumors 68040

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

That's about the sort of commentary I'd expect from a French Canadian. ;)

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LMAO: EA criticing others for lack of originality.

My god that one deserves the 2006 Irony Award for Gross Stupidity

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Out of curiosity and will I in no way support EA, but where is the innovation with GoW?

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

As a poster on eurogamer said

So it may not be innovative on one sense (heck what is nowaday's really) but its where everything is so right and so cohesively glued together in such a tight package which is that rare these days - (great graphics, sound, action, multiplayer and gameplay in all 1 fine package) compared to the majortity of titles released in the last 3 years - that could almost be construed as innovative in todays marketplace.

Heck HL2 was great, but bar the antigrav stuff (previously done in other games like psi-ops) there was little innovative about it either, but it didnt stop it stepping up the benchmark for FPS games did it.. :)

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Tch :rolleyes: I got chastised for saying GoW was nothing new too.

7. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    No, you got chastised for saying it would be a lousy game. There's a difference. ;)

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I don't believe the game is innovative but that doesn't mean it's not good. If we threw out all the non-innovative games every year we might only have 5 left!

Single Player - I played the first act and half of the second by myself. I then started playing co-op with my friend via XBox Live. In my opinion that is what made the game. I know, I know... you can probably list 20+ games where you can do this but aside from the previous Splinter Cell game that had online co-op I haven't played one in recent history. The added bonus here though is that you are playing co-op through the main game instead of through additional co-op only levels. Plus games like Quake I which can be played co-op never really felt as such... in GoW your co-op buddy is another character in the story, not just an additional "you".

Multi-player - Some people hate it, some like it... it's certainly a new style. I've primarily played Assassination mode I believe. Most multiplayer deathmatch devolve into a run around solo, pick up ammo, health, and armor and shoot rockets at the wall in hopes of getting that random kill. The GoW multi-player demands that you actually use cover which I didn't think they could make you do and it's actually very beneficial to stick together since you can revive downed buddies. I suppose you don't *have* to use cover but it is rather advantageous. Even games like Rainbow 6 felt like a Halo/Quake compared to GoW. In my opinion it's very much an alternate type of FPS right up there with Splinter Cell. It will have a niche but a large niche.

That's my thoughts. I haven't played every game known to man so I'm sure these things aren't innovative to some... but they're a first for me so that's why I enjoy it.

I would probably rate it a 7 or 8 out of ten but I start all games at a 5. They have to earn their way up (or fail their way down) the scale.

9. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

"Hello, Mr. Pot? Yes sir, an old friend of yours identifying himself as 'Kettle' is on line 1 and he wants to talk about the color black."

EA chastising others on "no innovation"? LOLRORZLMFAO :rolleyes:

This, the company who realized that 'the other company' (2k Sports) had a better football game and Madden was old news, so they decided to throw an exhorbitant amount of money at the NFL to obtain an exclusive license, therefore putting 2k Sports out in the cold in regards to any future NFL games

and

A company which has bought several small but loved developers (Criterion and Free Radical) and begun to release an endless array of soulless sequels of those games, which will eventually drive those franchises into the ground (Burnout and Time Splitters) since EA wouldn't know innovation [these days] if it slapped them in the face.

GoW has innovation; you can look at a screenshot of the game and see the aspect of "hiding" and read how "stop and pop" works and realize that the game does have innovation.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

in fairness to EA it was innovative how they re-defined the meaning of "additional" content for the marketplace... ;)

11. jdechko thread starter macrumors 68040

I agree that the game is probably going to do very well for itself. Though it isn't bursting at the seams with innovation, the cover system looks like a nice addition.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

WRONG! I said it was nothing new, it was a scripted 3rd person shooter. To which Skinnixx said Zelda wasn't new. :)

13. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

who gives a S*%&?

really, jesus.

I had my doubts about the game. but it's bad-ass. all around. and I'm not the biggest shooter fan. I LOVE resident evil though, and this game brought me into the fold as a fan of that genre.

You can be one of the few that don't like the game, and maybe it isn't overly "innovative" but by god there are very few games that have put these elements together into a combination thats so sickly sweet. If other games attempted it but came up short on delivering the experience, do they really get the kudos for the innovation?

2: EA sucks.

I love my nintendo too, seriously, but let's all get over it and give credit where credit is due. this game is SICK. and graphics do make a difference. This game could have come out on the xBox or PS2 and had prerendered backgrounds and been a solid game, but the amazing visuals allowed on a next gen system that this game delivers on hand over fist (with AMAZING art direction mind you) just immerse you into the world of this game.

So, everyone can be all partisan and lame and call each others games names, but I'll be loving it as I play all the great games this winter and leave EA's crap out in the yard where it belongs.

I hate when other companies feel threatened and have the need to step in and take a swipe.

14. sixstorm macrumors regular

Have you even played Gears? Sounds like you havent. I don't see how anyone could say the things you say about it.

15. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

1) Timesplitters ends at 3 anyway - there are no sequals to "destroy" and 2) FRD is still a free company, and will probably stay that way for a very long time

I remember you saying it would be rubbish because it ended with a cliffhangar :rolleyes:

16. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Strange… I'm French Canadian and still think EA is full of it. :confused: I'm disapointed to learn that my ethnicity is associated with questionable commenting.

17. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Good to know there are still racists in this world.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Why would I go out an play a game with repetitive and recycled gameplay? For the storyline! But oh wait. They expect me to pay £50 now, and £50 for it's sequel. Should I give any respect or my money to a company who do that?

Because if we're being realistic that's what GoW is. Just like how the next Zelda is an upgraded OoT with new controls, just how the next Final Fantasy will still fail to be as good as 7, just as the next hundred FPS games will end with cliff hangers.

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Fire Bun EA. Talk about lack there of.....these guys are nuts.

Bless

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Regardless of my opinion on GoW (I see some innovation, but to me it looks like just another incremental FPS upgrade with really good graphics), EA has absolutely NO right to criticize the originality of others. GoW has a billion times more innovation than anything EA has developed, which doesn't say much ;)

21. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Firstly, it is not a FPS.

GoW seems to be an excellently made action-shooter, possibly the most refined and perfected such game made to date.

Zelda:OoT, to me, was the best made action-adventure title ever made. The "innovations" in the game are arguable, but it's execution is almost universally acclaimed.

These are top-tier games in their respective genres. Neither is a new genre, and I'm not sure why that bothers people in regards to some games and not others.

22. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

How many people here have played GoW? You can't judge a game by watching a preview. The game takes Co-Op to a new level. My buddy and I have almost beat it on Co-Op and I dare say it is the most fun I have had in a LONG time playing a game muliplayer.

Yes it is predictable.
    Yes the guns are pretty plain jane.
    Yes it is linear as hell.
    Yes the cover system isn't perfect.

But it is a blast to play so who cares? Everyone seems to hate EA so much yet people MUST like them because aren't they the top seller publisher in the world? Someone is buying their games.

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Exactly. It's the same people who on this forum that bitch that 'gameplay' is the most important factor when pointed out Wii faults..

Here we go boys, a game that may not be innovative, but has awesome gameplay, especially in co-op...

so whatcha bitchin about really ?

24. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Good grief. Is the meaning of ";)" lost on you people? :rolleyes: ;)

25. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

;) doesn't always mean you are kidding.