Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Illusion986

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
I refuse to buy EA games. I made mistake of buying a couple games on sale a year or so ago that were buggy and crashed to the point where it was unplayable and many people complained in reviews but i thought EA is a reputable company they will fix that soon but guess what... today over a year later still no update and the games are still in app store.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Actually the trendy thing to do now is hate on Activision. Hating on EA is very 2005/2006.
Did Activision kill Blizzard? No.
So I don't think EA will kill PopCap games. That is if PopCap make the games and EA just release them. But EA could riddle the games with the DRM BS. So yeah it could be good or bad depending on how much EA choose to ******* up everything.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Umm, I suspect PopCap will be relatively unaffected creatively! EA really aren't that bad IMO, they've published a lot of quality stuff over the last few years. Dead Space!

What this is probably about is EA having the biggest casual companyas leverage for their Origin platform/marketplace. Discounts and advantages to Origin users over Steam and other channels could actually get Origin in the hands of a lot more gateway/casual gamers.

Saying that.. There is no Origin for Macs, so this is a bad thing. :(

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
In-app purchase of what, new shapes? but I liked bejeweled on ipod touch, for being on hold to a bank or tech support of my DSL.

Huh? who said anything about in app purchases?

I just want a HD/iPad specific version of Bejeweled Blitz.
It would take them all of 3 seconds to take the Retina version and rewrite it for the iPad, but I guess they are too busy.

And where is Bejeweled 3 on any device?

L I G H T I N G

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
EA is not as bad as people claim them to be.

Madden NFL has always been one of their cornerstone games and their Need For Speed series sets the bar for all racing games.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Here's an example.

Boggle. How do you screw that up, right? Yet EA has managed to do a horrible job of it, the word list doesn't match any standard dictionary with lots of common words missing and including many that are either proper nouns, foreign words, or flat out not words at all.

This became even more obvious in the latest version that has a new feature to look up any word found in the puzzle in an online dictionary - guess what, half the "words" suggested aren't found.

And probably worse than that, earlier versions of the game had head to head play with friends using email address or other ways of connecting. The latest version TOOK THAT OUT and now the only way to do multiplayer is through facebook, which posts things to your account with no way to shut that off. Complete disaster and users are livid about it, thankfully I read the reviews first and haven't updated.

Seriously, if you can botch something as simple as BOGGLE that bad, why should I trust you for any other game?

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
So many nerds hating on EA for no reason. You don't HAVE to buy their sports games.

You obviously don't know much about the games industry. Not only is EA consistently ranked as one of the worst studios to work for (often claiming the top spot in main studios due to poor pay, overworked employees, and bad benefits) but they tend to ruin everything they get their hands on. As others have stated, take a look at what they did to Maxis.

EA is a puppy mill for game developers and games IMO. They focus on quantity over quality and release a ton of mediocre crap just to rake in money.

johnydecali

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
Walnut Creek, CA
YAY!

my own personal opinion... I love EA and how they incorporate game content to other EA games on game consoles. I believe that a large corporation such as EA can shake things up and produce games with PopCap Games that will be better than what Zynga, Rovio, and Glu is producing.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
EA is also trying to sell itself now.

Quite a few good studios were absorbed and killed over the years. Bullfrog, Pandemic, Bioware is teetering...

I liked the Trip Hawkins version of EA much better. More Road Rash please!

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
"Bump" a year later, and Popcap have let people go in their Seattle offices and are investigating closing their Dublin office. Sad to see a company go from billion+ value to redundancies in just a year.

That actually sucks. It's too bad they weren't merely absorbed as a wholly owned subsidiary with some of their work culture left in place. It's sad seeing a very creative company absorbed by .... that.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Popcap CEO's quote modified to reflect what was actually going through his mind while he was saying it:

"We picked EA becau$e they have reca$t their culture around making great digital game$," said David Roberts, CEO of PopCap. "By working with EA, we'll $cale our game$ and $ervice$ to deliver more $ocial, mobile, ca$ual fun to an even bigger, global audience."

:(

I remember when EA truly meant "Electronic Arts". M.U.L.E. Archon. Construction sets. They published the first Bard's Tale.

Now, hmmm. "Enormous Amoeba", maybe.

Last edited:

joemod

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Athens, Greece
Popcap CEO's quote modified to reflect what was actually going through his mind while he was saying it:

:(

I remember when EA truly meant "Electronic Arts". M.U.L.E. Archon. Construction sets. They published the first Bard's Tale.

Now, hmmm. "Enormous Amoeba", maybe.

Voting you up, although for 1.3b $ I would have done the same. They made him an offer he could not refuse.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Holy zombie thread lol. It's nice to see the EA supporters pwned by the predictable knockdown of popcap after being absorbed by EA. EA/crapActivision is like clear-channel on radio. Buying up all the creative small-guys and turning them into 'zombie-clones'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.