EA Ships Four Games for Mac, Two to Come

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 17, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As originally noted on Page 2, Electronic Arts games Battlefield 2142, Command and Conquer 3, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and Need for Speed Carbon are all now available for order at the Apple Store.

EA has now issued an official press release (via Gizmodo) provides some more details on expected availability.

Retail stores will have Need for Speed Carbon and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix on Tuesday, August 21, and Battlefield 2142 and Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars on Tuesday, August 28. Current ship times at the Apple online store range from 24 hours (Battlefield 2142) to 3-5 days (Harry Potter, Need for Speed) to 7-10 days (Command and Conquer).

EA clarifies that Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 and Madden NFL 08 will not be available until "the September/October window".

EA first announced that they would be releasing these Mac titles during the WWDC keynote in June 2007.

Article Link

2. macrumors G3

puckhead193

3. macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I wish they would've released Need For Speed Most Wanted instead of Need For Speed Carbon, Most Wanted was a lot better. Although good nonetheless.

4. macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

5. macrumors 68020

techlover828

6. macrumors regular

7. macrumors regular

Finally TW Golf. It's been ages since a current version of the game has been available.

8. macrumors member

^^Not if you're a MacBook user...

And that's for all four of them... :(

9. yzp
    macrumors regular

yzp

Pretty coool! (even though i'm not playing games)

The industry as finally woke-up and they do things for macs!

10. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Probably needs hardware T&L.

11. macrumors member

So it must be. Again my less than a year old Mac is sorta obsolete.

12. macrumors newbie

Yeah... somehow the MacBook is not supported (GMA950 graphics card) yet I have Windows XP installed via BootCamp and I can play C&C3: Tiberium Wars on that... Hows that work?

13. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Hate to break it to ya, but our MacBooks never were a contender (for games) in the first place.

14. macrumors member

Sure I guessed it wouldn't play the games after like two years, but it's a bit sad it doesn't play any games even when it's the newest model. Don't you think?

You didn't break that much news anyway.

15. macrumors member

Well, without knowing the details (no Macbook, and haven't played C&C3), I would guess that these games are optimized for Windows, and so have lower requirements on Windows. Since they're basically compiling against Cider to port these games (as opposed to optimizing them for OpenGL or OS X), they're going to be slower.

16. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Could also be that they require more video mem. OSX limits it to 64MB but Windows uses the full 224MB.

17. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I blame the game companies. I can play Oblivion on my MacBook (albeit horribly) thanks to Oldblivion. If they could do it, EA could have.

18. macrumors newbie

Well...

So much for simultaneous release... although, this is better than before.

19. macrumors 6502a

20. macrumors member

Wish someone could make some kind of a game that would be fun, challenging and addictive. :) A nice game without all the candy. And once you lose the candy, the game sucks.

I need to get addicted!

21. macrumors 65816

Yes bring on NHL 08 for the Mac. :D EA has never made an NHL game for the mac at least that I know of. I want my NHL on my Mac. And NBA Live 08 too. :) ... Finally the Mac is getting into the games sector. And for those who think Macs can't do games think again. It's just that there was no good games available until recently. Can't wait to see more game titles. Now all I need is a MBP to replace my MB (2nd gen.).

22. macrumors member

Our Macs can't do games... :(

23. macrumors 68020

To clarify some things: Macbooks may be new, but they're using a really lame graphics chip (same with the Minis). Blame Apple for being a bunch of dorkwads about that. They know better.

The GMA950 isn't limited to 64MB on OS X. Apparently it uses more if it needs to. That's not really going to help, though. Anyway, even though the GMA950 may not be officially supported, the games will probably still run, if they work running on Windows with the same hardware. You just won't get any support if they don't.

Speaking of running on Windows, these are basically the Windows versions. They're being run in a very very similar fashion to the way you can get some Windows games to run with WINE on Linux (since Cider/Cedega/WINE have stuff in common). Thus, no PPC versions. It's not ridiculous, it's just the way it goes. For EA, I suspect it was either Cider or no games at all. (Disclosure: I have a PPC Mac, so I'm not just being callous there. Yes, there were a couple I would have bought too if they'd been real Universal Binary ports.)

--Eric

24. macrumors 6502

BKKbill

Guess this is good news for those who want to play the occasional game and has an intel processor. As said before the game builders are the ones who should be able to make a decent game for the Cupertino based gadget maker even if the video card is not up to par. Hopefully with Apple products going out the door at a faster rate this won't take too long.

25. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Didn't know that, could you provide a source for this?