EA: The Human Story

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by palusami, Nov 12, 2004.

1. palusami macrumors regular

palusami

http://www.livejournal.com/users/ea_spouse/

"EA's bright and shiny new corporate trademark is "Challenge Everything." Where this applies is not exactly clear. Churning out one licensed football game after another doesn't sound like challenging much of anything to me; it sounds like a money farm. To any EA executive that happens to read this, I have a good challenge for you: how about safe and sane labor practices for the people on whose backs you walk for your millions?"

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Definitely different than the EA that was formed from a few game developing legends such as Bill Budge. They worked long hours because they wanted to do it, because they loved it.

I feel for anyone in a bad situation like that. I worked one development job 17 hours a day, 7 days a week and got my first day off after 45 days. Doing the unknown can be fun though.

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

That is sad to read - companies need to become more accountable and transparent. Exploiting your most important assets is not a good move, hopefully this will back come round to bite EA in the ass :mad:

4. palusami thread starter macrumors regular

palusami

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/11/11/news_6112998.html

looks like a class action lawsuit has been initiated.. :eek:

5. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

Very disturbing Indeed. However nothing out of the ordinary. Employers in many industries overwork Employees and under Compensate. However Pushing 80 hours a week is Pushing the limits especially if the Compensation does not match the time spent. People should Always be wary of Salaried Positions. A Salaried position usually only serves to benefit the Employer and People who take such salaried Positions should think Long and Hard about How much time is REALLY involved in a Work week.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Kudos to anonymous for having the guts to speak out on this issue. EA is only doing this at their own peril. I wonder if this Larry Probst is any relation to Jeff of "Survivor" fame?

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Truly sad - I don't think I would be able to put up with that work schedule....and when would they have time to go look for another job?!?!

With the amount of money being made on games, its a bit odd that there isn't something EA could do to make things easier on the people actually do the work to make the money....

D

8. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Havn't bought an EA game since Road Rash on my old Amiga.

All they make is the SAME game year in year out with flashy presentation.

Oh, unless your an xBox owner and then you can look forward to EA's servers conking out.

Irony is that while Microso$t want to rule the world they a very good company to work for and take goos care of their staff.