EA titles sell more on PS3 than Wii

Discussion in 'Games' started by darkwing, Feb 1, 2007.

1. darkwing macrumors 65816

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070201/earns_electronic_arts.html?.v=7

I had puts on ERTS when it was at 59 but chickened out. I'm happy today because ISRG is up 15% after hours on earnings and I have $10,000 worth of calls that I'm already up on. Woo hoo.

BTW, the money I've made on GME will pay for my video games for the rest of my life.

Anyway, I thought the Wii offered tons of innovative controls or something. Why are people buying the games for the PS3 instead? Also, considering the Wii has sold 4 times the units the PS3 has, this is pretty bad. I wonder if people are buying the Wii for Wii sports parties and zelda and not buying anything else.

I want to buy a Wii so I can have a ugly piece of 1980s retro plastic sitting on top of my sleek new HDTV. :)

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

"Why are people buying the games for the PS3 instead?"

You make it sound like PS3 games are sold more than Wii. You might want to look at Wii versus PS3 attach rate :)

Plus - EA. I'm never going to let an EA game into this house. I'd care if this came from a respectable company who devs for all systems (Square, Sega etc).

Wii ugly? Come on now. This is why I blocked you on MSN, you were extremely offensive, I don't even think you noticed you were doing it. I block racists.

3. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

hahahaha.. I told you so Darkwing :D I shoulda bet you :) The responses are almost predictable now :p

Ed

4. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

On March 2nd, I said "France sucks." You talked to me on the 3rd and the 28th and then not anymore after that. I took you off my list in November.

Saying "france sucks" is saying a country sucks. The French "race" is white, and I'm white, too. I guess I hate myself.

Maybe I'm an "ethnicist".

BTW the Wii is super cool looking. Probably cooler looking than the PS3. The sensor bar is what I was making fun of. :p

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

There are a lot of reasons why EA is turning over more for the PS3. I would think maybe every person that got a PS3 might of gotten madden, fight night etc...Some people got the wii for the mutiplayer, nintendo brand plus the wii is very impressive with its controls so I don't think madden was a big player in wii titles.

I don't know about you but the Wii looks nice next to my TV including my PS3and 360.

Bless

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

:rolleyes: Like the SDF don't jump in whenever something like, oh I don't know. Anything negative about the almighty PS3 is mentioned :rolleyes:

I'm seeing dark sides to people I once respected.

7. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I own a Wii Jimmi and while i respect you i think you should look at your past posts. Most of your recent posts can be construed as trolls, or FUD. Most of it has no factual basis, and it spews of your love for all that is the "big n". I respect your choices but i think you need to calm down a bit.

I saw what i was doing with my posts in the past, most of what i post now has facts to back it up. Look at the blu-ray comments, im sorry your grandparents are not a basis for the "Average" buyer of a new technology, that and you seem to blatently ignore the fact that bd is outselling hd dvd in both hardware and software.

Thats just for an example, there are more if you care to look back. I am NOT saying this to flame you in any way, its more a suggestion to chill out a bit. I respect ya Jimmi, and im saying this to you out of that respect for you.

Ed

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Come on Jimmi thats really not fair is it...you might not even see this..I might be on your ignore list. :)

Seriously though you responded with a very expected comment. I waited for someone to jump on that and I was not let down...

Bless

9. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

I just assumed that with the "awesome Wii controls" people would want to throw virtual footballs around or something.

Honestly though, I didn't think the PS3 would outsell the Wii in anything.. EA seems to release games for both, and with 4x more Wiis out there I figured that would be a company's larger source of revenue over the ps3. *shrug*

10. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

Why would I want to buy the crap EA spews out? NFS Carbon got mediocre ratings, because EA took a regular Xbox/Playstation game and threw it on the Wii - no thought or effort into actually making a real racing game centered around the Wii.
    Madden NFL was a fairly good port (from what I read), but its a sports game so I didn't play it myself.

What do these numbers mean? That Wii buyers are picking titles that actually utilize the power of the Wii. At the same time, it means PS3 owners are buying the only titles available to them - rehashed football and golf games.

11. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

I own a PS3 with 5 games and none of them are by EA.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hell no. You're quite level headed, don't come out with things like "cheap 80's plastic" or silly stuff. For that I commend you, MRU too. Though you guys do come off a little elitist at times.

Verto - good point. Can't really add more to what you said, pretty much hit the nail on the head. EA (just like Sony in hardware it seems) pump out the same old with newer features, day in, day out.

13. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

Corrected :)

14. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

That's pretty funny, I'll give you that. Just like Wii graphics. :)

15. jdechko macrumors 68040

To be honest, I'm not really surprised. I'd like to look at the facts (which I hope aren't disputed... I'll do the best I can).

1) Price of PS3 game vs Price of a Wii game = 60/50. So we need to normalize the sales dollars to look at actual games shipped. I get approx 683,000 units sold for the PS3 and 600,000 for the Wii.

2) Then, look at the number of EA games available for each system. For the Wii, I only count 2: Madden and NFS Carbon. I count 3 for the PS3, Madden, NFS and TW07.

So given these facts, I don' think that the Wii is doing too badly given the EA sales numbers. 83,000 games certainly isn't much to write home about.

16. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

The following is a list of threads where raggedjimmi said products were ugly. He's apparently allowed to voice his opinion, but nobody else.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=260918&highlight=ugly
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=242225&highlight=ugly
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=225317&page=2&highlight=ugly
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=213346&highlight=ugly
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=194730&highlight=ugly
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=185590&page=3&highlight=ugly
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=182353&highlight=ugly

Meh.

17. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

It's actually 103,000 units. Nice rounding.

But yeah, 3 games give the ps3 an advantage in EA games but there are 4 times as many Wiis out there.

18. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

I didn't read the article, and I don't really have any knowledge about this, but it looks like you're looking at the money they made from the games. I read somewhere that PS3 games cost more than Wii games, so it would make sense that they made more money off of PS3 games. It doesn't necessarily show that PS3 games are outselling Wii games, although it's obviously still possible.

I don't know if that's correct or not.

...oh and it looks like someone already said that :).

19. jdechko macrumors 68040

You're right, I accidentally typed in 30m in the calc for the Wii. It's late here and it's been a long, rough day for me.

As for your second part, I don't think it matters how many Wii owners or PS3 owners there are. I don't really care about the EA attach rate for either of the consoles. If there were a consistent average, then the Wii would have sold 290,000 copies of each, whereas the PS3 would have sold just under 230,000 copies for each game. I know that the distribution isn't exactly even, and I don't care enough to figure out exactly which game is performing best, but still, it's not that big of a deal.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Heh, of course anyone can say something's ugly. But trying to come off as both a player of Wii and PS3, whilst ever so slightly dropping bits that the Wii is junk isn't good.

Don't p*ssy foot around. Stick with an opinion.

edit: well that words censored but it's a saying in the UK. meh.

21. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

people buy wii for wiisports, zelda, and few others hyped to really show off the new control scheme

people buy a ps3 for...resistance and same tired bulls%*#! from EA, oh and bluEray (and yes that was to irritate)

22. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

There's also Fight Night available for the PS3.

23. jdechko macrumors 68040

Ah Ha! I knew I forgot one, but couldn't remember. The List of PS3 games Wiki sucks. Screw it ... I'm off to bed. I can't stay up till 4 am (5 hrs ahead ?) like jimmi :). (And I'm on EST in the US, so it's not even 12 here, heh).

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh, and I feel I have to explain myself once again.
    I dont just stick with Nintendo. I only stick with 1, or 2 at a push consoles in each generation. I go with what I consider the best. So far it's gone-

Spectrum ZX81, Commodore Amiga, NES, Mega Drive, N64, PS1, Gamecube, Xbox, Dreamcast, Wii.

4/10 systems in my collection are Nintendo. :rolleyes:
    I stand by the belief that the PS1 was one of the best systems ever, next to the Amiga and Wii. I don't sit still, every generation systems change their image, their target market etc. I'm not blindly following 1 company.

25. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Go to sleep ;)

Ed