Eagle Lugging a Deer Head Causes Outage

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by WildCowboy, Jan 29, 2007.

1. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Linky

I knew bald eagles were strong, but wow. :eek:

2. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

My DS worked in AK at a raptor rehabilitation center, and let me tell you, they get BIG!

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Remind me to go inside next time I see an eagle flying nearby! :eek:

4. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Yeah pretty neat story

Golden Eagles get even bigger, they can weight up to 12lbs with 11 foot wingspan , the talons are 4.5 inches

they are used to hunt wolves, goats and deer in parts of the world, I have actually seen one take down a yearling horse once.

From a falconry point of view bald eagles are pretty boring, they dont train well, don't really have a spectacular hunting technique and they eat alot. :rolleyes:

5. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i thought the headline of this thread read outrage, not outage at first...and there i was thinking to myself, who in their right mind would be outraged by something like that? :eek:

6. WildCowboy thread starter Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I'll bet there were a few residents who were outraged at the outage.

7. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

You gotta love nature. Just be glad that the Giant eagle isn't around any more. It lived in New Zealand before europeans got there. It had a 18 ft. wingspan and would fly off with young children.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

9. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The Wedge-Tailed Eagle here grows to around a 2.5m (8')+ wingspan and has been seen to take out decently-sized kangaroos. The females are larger and can get to around 5kg (11lb) - so they're big buggers, not as large a wingspan as the Golden or Bald eagles but the same weight as a big one of either of the two big northern species - they're big balls of muscle.

For a while they weren't growing so big because they found that rabbits were more plentiful than the kangaroos and easier to catch so they didn't need to be so large. Now that the rabbits are diminishing they're getting really big again.

Nothing like the sight of a big black wedgie (hmm, that's a bit suss) soaring high above you on the thermals.

11. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

About 4" for Bald Eagles

4.5 or more for Goldens

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Erm.....it was a Napolean Dynamite reference (replace "eagle" with "chicken"), but thanks for the information. ;)

13. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

In 1990, We're anchored in the San Juan Islands, out in the middle of nowhere, 56ft, 1953 Wooden Chris (rented, I must confess :(). I'm sleeping in the front v-berth when I hear a thump on the deck over my head. I poke my head out the hatch and see an entire freaking rear haunch of a deer, leg and all, laying on the deck. We're 50yds off shore and no one around, about 6:30am. I wish I'd weighed it before I threw it overboard. Also wish I'd seen the bird whose meal I interrupted. We'd seen lots of eagles, so I'm assuming that was the carrier.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So.....you got to ride around in a big boat, relaxing all day in the Sun, and you also got a free meal too?

Show-off.

15. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I'm surprised an eagle would scavenge for food. They are raptors, and I understand that to mean they want the live kill.

16. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I thought exactly the same, so you're not alone. Still, I suppose the outage might have caused some outrage...

17. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, sometimes an eagle will surrender its catch to a larger eagle if there's a confrontation.

18. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Bet that was a horrendous sight! A big friggin bird carrying a head into power cables. :eek:

20. Keebler macrumors 68030

i'm actually not too surprised by this. i've seen eagles before and they are massive. and i hunt deer so i know the size of their heads. while deer can be large, it's totally feasible for an eagle to haul a head around.

i wonder if the eagle saw the power lines and was trying to, "pull up...pull up!" aaaahhh...bbbzzzzzz.

the night the lights went out in Juneau....

21. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Interesting article here on CNN.com about a woman in a paraglider (Australia) who was attacked by a pair of these. Almost caused her to crash!

22. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

"So, how'd you get the scratches on your back honey? No, seriously. I don't want any more eagle attack crap..."

23. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Pity they are not still around, it could have been the answer to the population problem. :)

FJ