Eagles are going to Jacksonville!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Cursor, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

For the first time in 24 years the Eagles are going to the SUPER BOWL!!! C'mon Eagles fans-GO NUTS!!!!!!! the big question is-who do you want them to face, the Pats or Steelers? And does it matter? The Lombardi Trophy will be marched down Broad Street for the first time in history!!!!!! E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!!!! :eek:

2. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Does it matter? No, honestly it doesn't. The afc has been beating up on the nfc all season. How would you like the consolation rings? Or the "Eagles 2nd place!" T-shirts? Either the Pats (best team ever) or the Steelers (16-1) are going to demolish the Eagles, TO or not.

BEN

3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Dude I'm so happy that they have finally made it to the bowl' :) Its a about time, and TO is coming back.

Prepare for defeat AFC:)

4. SteveC macrumors 6502

...and it's going to be the New England Patriots vs. the Eagles.

Should be a good game.

Two things are all we'll hear for the news 2 weeks:
    1. Is New England about to become a "true dynasty" and tie Dallas as the two teams to win 3 Super Bowls in 4 years?
    2. Will TO play?

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Good for you, a time for the fans and team to celebrate. After long of a wait you should be very proud. We here in New England know what it is like to wait. The Patriots are looking forward to meeting you in Jacksonville.

6. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

It took Philly long enough. Too bad they're going to lose the big one. No, wait, after the way the fans treated Joe Jurevicius, I'm glad they're gonna lose. I clearly wanted Philly over Atlanta and stupid Vick, but I hope the Eagles get slaughtered in Jacksonville. Go Patriots!!!

Daniel

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

As a Browns fan who's been on the doorstep several times but never quite made it (remember "The Drive" and "The Fumble"?), let me say I envy you. Congratulations on getting to the big game.

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i like the pats better, but i predict 38-17, eagles

the eagles will probably sack brady 4 times and maybe even take him out of the game...philly has never been easy on opposing quarterbacks and like john madden says...strong defense always beats strong offense

9. JediL1 macrumors member

JediL1

E-A-G-L-E-S...EAGLES!!
    So ridiculously happy the Eagles are finally going to the Superbowl. Heck, the last time they went I wasn't even BORN yet.

Might as well get excited now, it could be another 24 years.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I'm assuming that's a joke. You can't seriously be picking the Eagles by 21 points. You have to go back to the first game of LAST season (vs. Bills) for the last time the Pats lost by that much.

Frankly, I think the Eagles feasted on the horribly soft NFC to get where they are and will be badly exposed by the Pats. But even if you're picking the Eagles... by 21 points???

and btw, the two defenses were ranked 9th (pats) and 10th (eagles) in the NFL and were uncannily close to identical numbers-wise (the Pats gave up 310 yards and 16.3 ppg this year. The Eagles gave up 319 yds and 16.3 ppg). The offenses were similarly close with the Pats at 7th and the Eagles at 9th (357 yds, 27.3 pts per game for Pats compared to 351/24.1 for the Eagles). So I really don't think you can say this is a case of one strong offense vs one strong defense (a la Bucs/Raiders 2 years ago).

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The Pats have, so far, creamed the #1 D in the NFL and shut down one of the most potent offenses in NFL history. The Eagles have an up hill climb. The Pats D has been playing inspired ball this post-season, and the O has only been a step behind. I hope it's a good game 'cause I hate blowouts, but I figured the Steelers/Pats woulda been a good game too.

Lethal

12. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

all good points, but there is a reason that the eagles are up 7 points in the predictions (see patriots thread here) and i don't think it's because of an injured "TO" :)

plus the eagles are totally peaking right now and throw in "TO" and then i think you have a lethal combination...plus the eagles have got to be hungrier...when was the last time the eagles went to the superbowl? for new england, it's just another (recent) ring

for the same reasons the red sox beat the yankees, hunger, i think the eagles will beat the patriots

but if the pats win, i think this will definitely be boston's sports year indeed :)

remember the year the pirates and and steelers won in the same year?

13. Cursor thread starter macrumors 6502

Cursor

Well said! Except for the part about "if the Pats win." My prediction-Eagles over the Pats 24-21!!!

14. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Would have been interesting to see Vick go against the Pats defense. Vick is so much better on astroturf, though, so Jacksonville would have been tough for him. Most of the times he was caught in Philly, it was because he slipped on the field.

If T.O. is at least 90 percent, it will be a very close game. Otherwise, look for another boring blowout (which is all the playoffs have been except for day 1). Thank goodness for TiVo. I fast-forwarded through 90 percent of yesterday's games.

15. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Field wasn't even slippery... He was caught because everywhere he looked there was nowhere to go... The Eagles contained the edges & the interior just sat & squeezed... Vick is an excellent athlete - but he's not a very good QB... He's more of a Single Wing tailback... Unfortunately, & I mean that because I love the single wing, no one plays that offense anymore...

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I think you have to pick the Pats in this game...

1. The Pats defense completely shut down the league's most prolific offense and in Manning and Co.

2. The Pats offense was way too much for the Steelers #1 defense.

3. Brady is clearly the coolest QB since Montana, and maybe ever.
    Not saying he is the best ever talent wise, but intangibles, leadership, etc.

4. Venetari has always been money in big games

5. Belichick has 2 weeks to prepare for the Eagles.
    Westbrook will be neutralized... trust me

The Eagles beat an 8-8 Vikings team and an overrated one-Vick Falcon team (I'm from Atlanta). The Pats beat the Colts and Steelers, handily. The NFC was incredibly weak this year (two 8-8 teams in the playoffs). The AFC was incredibly strong (Chargers, Jets, Denver et. al.)

Yes, the Eagles are hungry, that's because they have been losing. The Pats are confident, because they have been winning. I think the best thing for the Pats was losing to the Steelers and Miami this year. Lets them know they have to play every game hard. They will.

Even if TO comes back, it won't help. He hasn't played in weeks, and it will be a distraction for the Eagles.

Apart from some meltdown by the Pats, it should be a methodical, workmanship dismantling of the Eagles. There are few teams in history with the same teamwork, confidence and will as the Pats. The old Steelers probably come closest. The Pats don't have the names like TO, Manning, etc. and don't get the hype, but I'll take Belichick, Brady and Bruschi on any give Sunday.

Congrats to the Eagles for making it this far... one step farther than the last 3 years, but the ride ends here.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Wow, the Falcons didn't put up much of a fight.

I hope the superbowl is as exciting as last year (I'm talking about the GAME, not the other stupid stuff :p ), but I suspect that the Pats will take Philly apart, after watching the Steelers game.

18. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Yeah, and he would have been eaten even more. Vick is only a threat to weak teams. Remember the last time in the regular season that he met a real defense? It was a 27-0 smashing at the hands of the Buccaneers. Vick is such a joke. The week before the Atlanta game in Tampa, all of the reporters were asking the team how they were going to stop Vick, and Derrick Brooks (future Hall of Fame LB) said, "Well, how is he going to stop our defense? Everyone's talking about Vick, and how we will answer to him, but nobody is talking about how the Falcons will answer to us." And that is the truth. Michael Vick has not been a threat to the Bucs defense or any other defense that knows how to play him. The Eagles even had trouble containing him yesterday, but they were also playing undisciplined defense at times. Vick would run one way, and the entire defense would follow him, opening up a wide lane for him to run the other way. Believe me, the Patriots would have absolutely no problem suppressing Vick in the running game, making the Falcons one-dimensional. It's a bad thing when the other team's game plan is to force your quarterback to throw. Quarterback are supposed to throw! Vick can't. He is an overglorified running back that came out of college too early.

Daniel

19. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

This is ridiculous, obviously you don't understand how good Vick is.

The falcons went from a playoff team, to a blow over when Vick was hurt. When he returned they made it to the NFC championship game their first year with a new coach. Vick is amazing, the most physically talented player in the league. He is young too, extremely young, give him time to develop.

Any time you get your team to the NFC championship game with a good record you are good.

As for his throwing, have you seen his arm? He has the strongest arm in the league. With more time and training his accuracy will get better as well.

Vick has as much or more impact on his team than any other player in this league. To prove my point just compare the Falcons from last year to the Falcons of this year.

20. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Oh, I understand. I've seen him run all over teams like the Cardinals, the Rams, the Vikings and other teams with NO DEFENSE! What happened when Atlanta played Kansas City? KC has a very weak defense, and they still stopped him! My point is, he is very stoppable. It's not like he is running all over the league with nobody able to catch him. Derrick Brooks stops him almost single-handedly when Atlanta plays Tampa! His throws have always been erratic, and he has never been a factor against teams with a defense that knows how to neutralize him. If every team followed what Monte Kiffin does with the Bucs' defense to shut him down, Vick would be out of a job. Also, he's already had, what, three major injuries in his career? At this rate, he's only going to be around for a few more years. He has the srtrongest arm in the league? Compared to who, Jay Fiedler? Anyway, even if he did have the strongest arm in the league, passing is more accuracy than strength. A quarterback's job is to throw more than run, and when Vick is up against a defense that can stop him from running, he can't do either.

Daniel

21. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I agree w/MacDwag and dsharits.

Vick can either be the next McNabb or the next Cordell<sp?> Stewart. McNabb made a pointed effort early in his career (after 2-3 seasons) to spend the off season focusing on pocket passing and improving his QB skills. He didn't want to rely on his legs he wanted to rely on his arm. Stewart made a diffferent choice. Who is the more dangerous QB?

Vick has a huge arm, but he wastes it. He uses his running ability as a crutch that has worked so far, but his legs will only last so long. There were a number of times in the Eagles game when he gave up on his recievers so soon it looked like actually throwing the football was an after thought.

If Vick can buckle down and focus on throwing the football he'll be 10x the threat he is now.

Lethal

22. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Hey, I thought this thread was about the Eagles???

It has been a long wait for the Eagles. As a fan I look back to the game in 81 and what should have been and was not. Plunkett, the QB of the Raiders, pointed out that if the 2 teams played 10 times Philly would have won 9 of them. At that time the Eagles were the better team and lost. This time, on paper, Belichek, the Pat's O, the Pat's D, Brady all look better. The Pat's win by taking away the big item in their opponents game. The removed Manning, from the Colts game and the rushing attack from the Steelers game. They have a way of winning all of the battles. Maybe McNabb can have a statement reminicent of Plunkett's 24 years ago - The Pat's may be the better team, but that is why they play the games...Go Eagles!

23. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I agree Vick has tremendous talent, but he is not balancing his capabilities. The Eagles stuffed him almost every time he tried to scramble because they didn't treat him like a quarteback so much as a running back that might throw. His completion percentage stank big time. If you force the Falcons to pass, they are a pretty weak team. Like others have said Vick isn't working on his passing game, which is a shame because he could be much more of a threat if he did.

Vick has the ability to scramble like no other quarterback, but teams have come to realize that he lives/dies by the run.

24. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I think you're confused... the Pats are 7 point favorites at this point, not the Eagles.

Owens *may* play, and if he does, it will be his first game in a month, coming off a rather serious injury. Nobody, even a player as good as Owens, can be too effective in a situation like that (Did you see how Randy Moss played the first few games after he came back? Yes he was in the game... but he was not at all the dominating force he usually is.)

I agree that the "hunger" factor could help the Eagles. BUT the Patriots, no matter how much they win, are a team with a chip on their shoulder. They were picked to lose against the Colts, and again (though not as much) against the Steelers. They still feel that they don't get the respect befitting a team with 2 rings in three years and a 28-4 record over the last two regular seasons. Add to that the fact that Belichick *never* lets his team get complacent, let alone in the playoffs, and I see the Patriots coming out just as fired up as the Eagles.

Bottom line, the Patriots are 8-0 under Belichick/Brady in the playoffs. The last two weeks, they have not just beaten but humiliated the #1 offense and the #1 defense, respectively, in the NFL. The Eagles have beaten an 8-8 team and the softest 11-5 team of all time (Falcons had 3 games against teams over .500). And as one (unnamed) NFL GM is reported to have said prior to the Colts game, "Give Bill Belichick two weeks to prepare and he could beat Ghengis Khan and the Mongol horde."

25. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits