ear popping annoyance

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by comictimes, Mar 20, 2006.

1. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

well I hate to add to the many medical issues threads that are cropping up, but oh well.

So over the weekend my sister and I went up near Tahoe to go skiing, and it was fun and all that. However, when we came down she started complaining that one of her ears wouldn't pop (you know, when you change elevations, and your ears pop), and it was actually bad enough that she was effectively deaf in that ear. Unfortunately, it's been a good 24 hours since then, and the ear still hasn't popped... she's tried everything that we know how to do (holding your nose and blowing, yawning as much as possible, chewing gum, etc), but it refuses to pop...

Any other suggestions on how to pop annoying ears?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I can pop my ears whenever I want. It makes like a cracking noise in my ears. I dunno if other can do this. I've asked my parents, and they're like :confused: .

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

dunno, perhaps a "plunger wake-up" like Bam performed on his dad? [​IMG] :D

it should just go away with time. the 'plug your nose and blow' trick seldom works and might make things worse. that is better when you're several feet under water, not above.

edit: if the ear actually hurts perhaps consult a doctor in case there is more going on. also, even though it seems strange, tell her to tip her head to the side and dump some rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) in there, let it set for about 5-10 seconds and tip it to the other side to let the alcohol run back out. that works for me after water clogs my ears from swimming or diving.

5. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

It's nice to know there's someone else!

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

most people can do it, explaining it is the difficult part. it's a small pop/click when you "flex" your jaw or open your mouth wide, like to yawn.

7. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Assumed SamIchi meant can just do it without opening the mouth or anything. The funny things we talk about! :)

8. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Yea I can just "do it". It's flexing sumthin', I dunno what.

9. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

ear popping is hard for my left ear, the left ear is rather stubborn. When i try and hold my nose and blow to make it pop, sometimes it doesnt pop and instead eye juice comes out of my left eye! :eek: it doesnt bad, but doesnt feel good. just thought id share.

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

i am SO never sitting next to you at dinner. :p

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

EWWWW! gross!...no seriously....gross

Bless

12. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I used to have really bad un-popping ears (such as in an aircraft) but as soon as I became a SCUBA diver it went away. Now I usually don't even have to think about it, they just clear automatically. I would suggest wiggling her jaw and yawning, but it seems like you've already tried that. If it doesn't go away see a doctor.

13. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

its not like a water gun, more like bubbles, water boiling.:p but yes i recognize the gross factor.

14. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

When in flew in from Italy. Mine took around 2.5 hrs to pop. It was not until my connecting flight afterwards that they popped. I hate it.

15. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Try gently cleaning it with a Q-Tip (REALLY carefully). My ear felt like it needed to be popped for a day or two, and was driving me crazy, before I gently cleaned it with a Q-Tip and found out that the pressure imbalance was being caused by a lump of wax. :p

Just be gentle and don't go in too far. :eek:

16. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Though in theory that could work, it is very dangerous for an unexperienced person to stick anything in their ears.

I do not recommend it.

17. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

darn, see i was hoping for an eyeball super-soaker effect or something. :D :p

it's ok, everyone has weird bodily tricks in some form or another, whether they admit it or not. (i can burp on command, loudly, and make my eyes look in two different directions... to name a couple things. :p just call me "sideshow-blue")

18. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

3% hydrogen peroxide in the ear will dissolve any wax buildup in 2-3 minutes. It tickles. Flush afterwards.

19. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Ehhh, anything in the ears doesn't feel good. Unless it's a Q-tip in my hands.

20. emmawu macrumors 6502

I have the problem from time to time and my doctor says to put a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water (about half each) in the ear for about a minute. Dump it out and wipe out the inside with a soft cloth. To prevent other clogs, place one drop of mineral (baby oil) in each ear and lie down on the sofa or the bed for about an hour. The mineral oil will dissolve the ear wax and keep it clean. The hydrogen peroxide will break up a wax block. I know too much information, but it really works. :)

21. Melkor macrumors 6502

Ever since I got a perferated ear drum, I can no longer pop my left ear :(

And that was three years ago.

22. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

I have holes in my eardrums. Always have.

Lately, if i'm winded and breathing heavy, air will come in and out of my ears. :D

23. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I remember when my brother was in elementary school and noticed he had a weird bump in his ear. My mom couldn't figure out what is was so she took him to a doctor, who decided to cut it out. Turns out is was a popcorn kernel and skin had grown over it. :eek: How in the world it got there is still a mystery.

24. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

That's gross man!

25. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Try a nasal decongestant