Earasing Memory of Ever Connecting to an Access Point

Discussion in 'macOS' started by finalcoolman, Apr 14, 2006.

1. finalcoolman macrumors 6502

Hi, one time when I booted up my computer, my iBook couldn't detect my access point for some reason and gave me the option of connecting to my neighbours unsecured "Linksys" access point. Anyways this time I accidentaly clicked yes. Now though since it has connected to this access point before it doesn't prompt me and will switch to it whenever the signal is stronger or whatever. Now I also did see it written somewhere that it memorizes all the AP you have connected to in the past, so my question is how do you totally erase/delete this information that my laptop has ever connected before so my laptop can be a virgin once again to this access point? Thanks,

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

System Preferences > Network > Show: Airport > then under "By default, join:" select "Preferred Networks."

From here you can add or remove the networks you have used in the past and move them around in any order.

Hope that helps :)

3. finalcoolman thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thanks, and are there any pref files or anything like that that exist in the library or something? Thanks again,

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I'm sure there is one (somewhere ?) but I'm not sure where.

There's a com.apple.networkConfig.plist file, but I'm not sure if that is right.

DO NOT DELETE IT BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE CONFIRMS!

Note: You should never actually delete preference files right away. You should move them to your desktop, restart the computer, make sure everything works properly, and then you may delete them.

I really don't think it is necessary, however. By deleting it from the preferred list your computer should act as if it never knew that network existed.