Earbuds Fall Out When Running

Discussion in 'iPod' started by falcon1, Mar 20, 2007.

1. falcon1 macrumors regular

falcon1

My earbuds keep falling out when i'm running and i'm using the right ones, the L is in the left ear and R is in the right ear so whats the problem?

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I suggest you buy some new headphones. There are some great ones out there that can be found as cheap as 10 dollars. I went for the best, and got the V-Moda Vibes. Best sound I have ever heard :) But since that is most likely out of your price range, I suggest going to Best Buy or somewhere similar and looking at their selection.

3. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

4. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

I wear a tuque when running, especially since it's cold this time of year.

Or you can wear a headband and have it cover your ears. You can also buy running earbuds that wrap around your ear, designed for running and other active uses.

5. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

They earbuds work good for me when i run, but they aren't meant for running

6. Aegelward macrumors 6502

ear buds are not the best choice for running, neckband or clip on earphones are much better...

believe it or not, audiophile in-ear earphones and ipod buds are not the only headphones in existence ;)

7. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

8. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

You must be from Canada :)

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I've got the Sennheiser MX75 Twist to Fit earbuds.

They look a little odd and take a little manipulating to get them into the ear... but they stay in when running or doing anything else at the gym

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Er... they don't fit?

Something like the Koss KSC-75 might be a better idea. They hook around the ear for a more secure fit. Cheap too and popular with even wannabe audiophiles - probably because they look very dorky. The last point is a bit of a turn-off for me, but the price is right, the warranty is incredible (lifetime replacement) and the fit is secure.

11. MacAnkka macrumors regular

I'd second the KSC-75's. They're sound quality/price ratio is also rather awesome.

12. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

Best Options:

plastic surgery

crazy glue

duct tape

sell ipod

stop running

13. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Am I that transparent? :p

I'm at a loss right now with what other words are used to describe a tuque. I didn't know "tuque" was a country specific thing. :)

Those are terrible options. :eek: :p

14. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

You didn't suggest:

"buy zune".

15. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

16. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

I agree, best sound EVER. I couldnt believe i went so long with out them.

17. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Uh not quite, the Ultimate Ears or upper end Shures are truly audiophile quality for studio use.

18. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

Here in the states we call it a beanie. I think it's quite funny how Canadians have completely different names for a few things. My girlfriend tells me something new everyday she hears in Regina. What we call a hoodie here, they call a "bunny hug"

19. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

(assuming you are talking about the Vibes) You should try them out, assuming you can even do that now a days... They have such great sound... if I turn it up they literally move shake if there is lots of bass. Best looking headphones too!

20. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

21. t1937r0 macrumors 6502a

I have the same. They work really well for up to 45 minutes or so. Then my
    ears get a little sore. Oh, and are there any colors other than bright, and I mean bright Green? :rolleyes:

22. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

Americans call them "knitted caps" I think. :rolleyes:
    Tuque is the sensible term. ;)

23. GreenRite macrumors newbie

How To Keep Earbuds In Your Ears

The easiest, cheapest way to keep your earbuds in your ear is to use expandable foam ear plugs (also called single use ear plugs).

Here's what I've been using:
    http://howardleight.com/family/index/1

You can get similar earplugs at most home improvement stores.

First put the earbud into your ear where you'd like it to stay.

Next put the flat, wide end of the foam earplug against the earbud and the rounded end of the foam earplug against the opposite side of your ear.

More specifically, the rounded part of the foam earplug sits in the concha of the ear, pushing against the anti-helix of the ear. The Concha is the hollow next to the ear canal.

Allow the foam earplug a minute or so to fully expand and you should have a fairly snug fit.

You can use the foam earplugs many times before they begin to lose their "expandability."

Be aware that if your earbud wires get pulled, they might pop the foam earplugs out of your ears without your knowing. So if that happens, check to make sure they're still there.

Keep a few extra pair around as you will surely lose some from time to time.

MORE INFO:

In regular use you put the rounded end of a foam earplug in the ear canal and the wide, flat end against the antitragus of the ear. But since your earbud will be blocking the ear canal the usual geometry won't work. So the best fit for the foam earplug is in the concha, pressing between the earbud and the anti-helix.

If you have questions about where to place the foam earplug, here is a link to a diagram of the human ear structure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinnae

Hope this helps!

24. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

for anyone who cares. Im pretty sure a tuque is a beany in our slang. When i heard someone for the first time say, tuque i was like are you kidding me thats so dumb!?

Then i realized that we say a "beany"... which is significantly more retarded.