Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottydawg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Sacramento, CA
I have a early '08 Mac Pro that I want to properly prepare to sell. I got a new iMac as a replacement this week and this will be the first Mac I have ever sold.
This has the SAS drives (4) with the RAID card. I have two set up RAID 0 that house my files like documents, photos, music, etc. Another of the SAS drives holds the OS and all applications. The fourth just has some other files and scratch for editing. Here is my main question, how do I best clear all data and should I separate the 2 drives that are set to RAID 0 or leave them? I am thinking could create complications to separate them but I really don't know for sure. Any other tips?
Side question, any idea what this would be worth now? It also has a Sonnet eSata card if that even matters at this point. Is there much market for local sale of these things?

tripmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Switzerland
I'm doing the same thing... just upgraded a 4,1 Mac Pro to a 5,1 and need to clean up my 3,1 to sell it. Mine has dual 3.20Ghz cpu's, 12GB Ram, (3) 500GB HD's and an ATI 4870. I think I've got another graphics card I can throw in it too. I'm hoping to get $600, maybe more. $600-800 is my guess depending on what's in it and loaded on it. I'm gonna try to sell locally and put it up on eBay. I just really dread packing it up and shipping it, not to mention all the fees. I'm keeping my HD's that were in it and using them in the newer MP I bought, so I don't have any erasing to do. Just need to load up El Cap.

As far as erasing, why don't you just wipe them out with a more secure setting and let it run overnight? I just noticed El Cap's DU doesn't show any security options at first glance, not sure which OS you have on the 3,1.

mbosse

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
Vienna, Austria
...As far as erasing, why don't you just wipe them out with a more secure setting and let it run overnight? I just noticed El Cap's DU doesn't show any security options at first glance, not sure which OS you have on the 3,1.

Its indeed a bit hidden. Click on the partition you want to erase, the then you have the 'security options' clickable.

Format-USB-1024x561.png

Best,
Magnus

scottydawg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Thank you Magnus, I have now reformatted the pair that are RAID 0 with the "Security Options" that you pointed out so this thing is all set to move on down the road.

Reactions: mbosse
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.