Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leerkeller

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore, MD
I have an 24" Early 2009 iMac with the Mobility Radeon HD 4850. I decided that since the computer is getting older and will be replaced soon anyway I am willing to take a bit of a risk to get few more frames per second out of Skyrim. So I downloaded MSI Afterburner and SMC Fan Control for Windows. I need to know which fan or fans actually provide cooling for the gpu. I don't want to unnecessarily turn them all up. The computer seems to have three fans, the odd fan, the hdd fan and the cpu fan.

Which one should I modify and where too

cut and paste from the command prompt...
c:\users\leekeller\downloads\macfan>macfan.exe <odd?> <hdd?> <cpu?>

Fan #0 ODD is currently running at 800 rpm
The Slowest Fan #0 can run seems to be 800rpm
The Fastest Fan #0 can run seems to be 4800rpm

Fan #1 HDD is currently running at 1600 rpm
The Slowest Fan #1 can run seems to be 1600rpm
The Fastest Fan #1 can run seems to be 5900rpm

Fan #2 CPU is currently running at 1200 rpm
The Slowest Fan #2 can run seems to be 1200rpm
The Fastest Fan #2 can run seems to be 3600rpm

leerkeller

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore, MD
Along with MSI Afterburner and SMC Fan Control for Windows, I have found a program that allows me to specify certain temperatures for components and they provides me with an alarm that interupts any running programs (skyrim in my case) when that temperature is exceeded. I just am not sure how hot, is too hot for the gpu. Can anyone provide some values, in celcius?

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
I have an 24" Early 2009 iMac with the Mobility Radeon HD 4850. I decided that since the computer is getting older and will be replaced soon anyway I am willing to take a bit of a risk to get few more frames per second out of Skyrim. So I downloaded MSI Afterburner and SMC Fan Control for Windows. I need to know which fan or fans actually provide cooling for the gpu. I don't want to unnecessarily turn them all up. The computer seems to have three fans, the odd fan, the hdd fan and the cpu fan.

Which one should I modify and where too

cut and paste from the command prompt...
c:\users\leekeller\downloads\macfan>macfan.exe <odd?> <hdd?> <cpu?>

Fan #0 ODD is currently running at 800 rpm
The Slowest Fan #0 can run seems to be 800rpm
The Fastest Fan #0 can run seems to be 4800rpm

Fan #1 HDD is currently running at 1600 rpm
The Slowest Fan #1 can run seems to be 1600rpm
The Fastest Fan #1 can run seems to be 5900rpm

Fan #2 CPU is currently running at 1200 rpm
The Slowest Fan #2 can run seems to be 1200rpm
The Fastest Fan #2 can run seems to be 3600rpm

Fan #0 ODD cools the GPU heatsink

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.