Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier today, Apple launched the much anticipated Final Cut Pro X (FCP X) to the Mac App Store. Originally described as a "dramatic and ambitious" change, it represents a complete rewrite and reimagining of Final Cut Pro, leading to some apprehension amongst professionals.

fcpratings.jpg

Since the initial release, several walkthroughs and impressions have been posted across the web and our forums. Like the App Store ratings (shown above), the response has been mixed.

Philip Hodgetts provides an extensive blog post in question and answer form about what is and isn't included in Final Cut Pro X. He specifically reveals upcoming features that Apple has told him are coming. These include:

• "Multicam will come in a future release, when Apple decide how best to implement it within the new application and architecture."
• "As of Version 1 and today’s release there is no direct import capability for [Final Cut Pro 6/7] projects. My understanding is that there will be an Apple-provided utility for importing XML from older projects to Final Cut Pro X."
• "the Apple folk made it abundantly clear that the ecosystem was very important to them, and that there will be a new, and much improved, replacement for the current XML workflow."

Larry Jordan who has been frequently quoted for his early comments about the Final Cut Pro X also weighs in. Jordan points out several of the improvements and disadvantages of the new system. He also points out that Apple is planning a quicker upgrade cycle for Final Cut Pro than they have in the past now that its in the App Store:
In the past, Apple used a 18 month, or so, cycle between updates. Now, Apple is telling me they are hoping to do an update once or twice a year.
Ultimately, despite the limitations, he expects that within the next 18 months practically all Final Cut customers will be running Final Cut Pro X due to the overall improvements.

Article Link: Early Final Cut Pro X Response Mixed, Updates Coming

Last edited by a moderator:

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
I don't know if "botch" is the word to use unless your every day work involves multi-cam productions...

Otherwise, just finish your current projects on FCP 7 and start your next on the new system and enjoy the new features and less micro-managing :cool:

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
FC X could have been released in december of this year and maybe this wouldn't have happened...maybe.... but its apple we are talking about here, they know what they need to do, and we can expect them to meet the expectations of there PRO app... Give it time Ladies and gentlemen

In the mean time get use to the new Final Cut suite and try to be creative with the tools you have... remember Mac users are creative and innovative... we aren't PC whiners

lshaner

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2007
Mixed?

Let's see what Steve has to say to this!

Steve,

That guy you hired from FCP side who did the first iMovie HD (v6 which was great), which was then crippled as iMovie (v7 which sucked), and has now crippled FCP/Studio as FCPx -- you need to fire that guy. :-(

Or fire the guy that keeps telling him to destroy the products. :-(

leon - Dearborn, Michigan

Leon Shaner wrote:
> Steve,
>
> Can't seem to open existing FCP/Studio files...
>
> FCPx seems all about iMovie. :-(
>
> How do I import my FCP/Studio files into FCPx...or how do I get my money back?
>
> Regards,
> \Leon

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Apple should've waited to launch until they added XML and multicam support ... just sayin - a 3 star rating in the App Store? Ouch!

Anaemik

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
I think anybody who was expecting this to be ready to slot into a professional production workflow from day 1 has either not been following the relevant blog posts leading up to this release, or they're being somewhat naive. Apple aren't exactly famous for their airtight x.0 releases, and I for one wasn't expecting this to be any different.

I think now is a good time for FCP vets to start learning the new paradigms in preparation for when it reaches an acceptable level of maturity, and now is also obviously good for newcomers to the FCP fold to start learning their chops, but anybody who is either denouncing this as a write-off or claiming it to be the best thing ever when it's just 24 hrs old is probably jumping the gun somewhat.

Badbaw

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011
While the initial release might be disappointing, I have faith that Apple will aggregate all the desired (and needed) features in due time.

John-117

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
I don't know if "botch" is the word to use unless your every day work involves multi-cam productions...

Otherwise, just finish your current projects on FCP 7 and start your next on the new system and enjoy the new features and less micro-managing :cool:

Exactly. I'm finishing my current FCP 7 projects while learning FCP X so that when they're done I can start working in a much less hassle free environment!

P.S. My workflow doesn't involve tape but my heart goes out to those who do and want to move over to X

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Disclaimer: I am NOT a professional video editor

What is "multicam" and how is it different from "supporting multiple video tracks" ?

If I were to guess, multicam means 2+ cameras recording the same event from different angles and giving a mechanism to quickly sync those streams and switch between the various angles. This is what I think people are saying is missing.

Multiple video tracks = I can stack different clips and cut between them and overlay them. This I am assuming it DOES support, right?

So why can't you take two cameras, stack their video and then cut back and forth between them? Just please explain in dummy terms what is missing re: Multicam

B. Hunter

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2005
Pacific Northwest
The price point looks great. Problem is I would have to buy a new computer to run it. Can't afford to do that right now.
My existing laptop has a qualifying GeForce 8600M GT, but I only have 128 vram.

BreuerEditor

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
New Jersey
I, for one, understand that x.0 software is usually buggy or not running at its full potential, but I'm incredibly surprised that Apple released it without certain features that make it a pro app. I wish they'd have waited another few months to release the full version with the features they're going to add in time, rather than a "here's what we got so far" version, without calling it 'beta'.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I love how binary the review system has become-- all fives and ones. Every time I see a three star rating, I know what happened-- half the people love it and half the people hate it.

Whatever happened to nuance (little n)?

BreuerEditor

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
New Jersey

What is "multicam" and how is it different from "supporting multiple video tracks" ?

If I were to guess, multicam means 2+ cameras recording the same event from different angles and giving a mechanism to quickly sync those streams and switch between the various angles. This is what I think people are saying is missing.

Multiple video tracks = I can stack different clips and cut between them and overlay them. This I am assuming it DOES support, right?

So why can't you take two cameras, stack their video and then cut back and forth between them? Just please explain in dummy terms what is missing re: Multicam

Multicam editing is when you have 2 or more cameras with the same codec and dimensions, you can see a window with all the cameras sync'd up and you can essentially perform a "live edit" by clicking which camera you want to be active while playing the timeline and not having it stop.

In stacking the video, you'll have to pause the video, cut, drag the clip over, and continue playing. I edit comedy shows from time to time and have 3 cameras that I need to cut from. Multicam editing is essential for me, but not for all, by far.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky

Multicam allows you to sync multiple cameras, and play them back simultaneously allowing you to also edit "live" by simply clicking the "preview" box you wish. It's like being a director and TD (technical director) at the same time, but since we are working in non-linear, it allows you to make the best possible edit because you can stop and go back at any point and "take" a different camera. It is very handy, useful, and a necessity to some, especially with the price and availability of equipment these days.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA

Just as long as you're not taking it to tape via SDI/HDSDI... or need RS422 deck control like a good chunk of broadcast decks out there. Or if you need to work in non-standard resolutions.... or need anamorphic video.... etc etc etc.

No... we mistakenly bought this beta software and certainly will not be doing any projects in it any time soon. I hope they have real tools in it by year end.

ARobinson

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Posted my review on the App Store: I am sure I agree with all the negative comments. As a young aspiring editor eager to learn, even I feel like this app was written for consumers and not professional editors. It feels more like iMovie Pro. I have so many fundamental issues with the structural build of this program. The UI is not the problem! The changed shortcuts are not the problem! Its the beams in the concrete that are pulling this application down. Hopefully others feel sane enough to explain the details. While I am still eager to learn new tools, this release only encourages my inevitable purchase of Avid. Apple has a lot of work to do!! I am not sure how they can pull themselves out of this whole. Unless their plan all along was to make a product for consumers.

Also, various comments all over other forums and my blog. So disappointed...the more I think about it, the more I realize they are marketing this towards consumers. It was built for consumers. But what does this mean for all of us loyal FCP editors? We jump ship?

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
I, for one, understand that x.0 software is usually buggy or not running at its full potential, but I'm incredibly surprised that Apple released it without certain features that make it a pro app. I wish they'd have waited another few months to release the full version with the features they're going to add in time, rather than a "here's what we got so far" version, without calling it 'beta'.

I don't know how many people remember OS X 10.0 or 10.1, but it was initially a major step down from OS 9 in a lot of ways. It wasn't until 10.2 that it really started to feel like a complete OS.

This is as radical a change to Final Cut. It's a clean break, and there's going to be some pain for awhile - but it is the future.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I love how binary the review system has become-- all fives and ones. Every time I see a three star rating, I know what happened-- half the people love it and half the people hate it.

Whatever happened to nuance (little n)?

You either like it or not. How does one distinguish a 3 from a 4? A 1 from a 2?

Will_reed

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
I'm pretty sure 90% of those negative reviews come from people who never used the app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.