Early Impressions and Benchmarks on Apple's 2012 Mac Mini

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 24, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Colocation data center Macminicolo has already gotten its hands on the new Mac mini, putting all three stock models through benchmarking tests and sharing initial impressions of the machines.

Geekbench results, which focus strictly on processor and memory performance, show a marginal increase in performance for the entry-level machine compared to the previous generation, with more substantial gains coming in the higher-end models tapping into quad-core Ivy Bridge processors. Early impressions of the latest models include:
    [​IMG]
    Another colocation center, Mac Mini Vault, has also taken a look at the new Mac mini, noting that their machine arrived running a custom Build 12B2080 of OS X 10.8.1. The company also performed a quick teardown of the machine, noting that Apple has tweaked the fan design since last year's model and also made some changes to the wireless antennas.

[​IMG]

Article Link: Early Impressions and Benchmarks on Apple's 2012 Mac Mini

2. macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

3. macrumors 68030

waloshin

4. macrumors member

Breaking 11k.
    Impressive. Most impressive.
    And about 3x my 2009 iMac 24" C2D!

5. macrumors regular

6. macrumors 68020

I'm thinking the 2.6Ghz quad is in my future. I don't really need a laptop as much anymore, with the iPad, and I've got a 24" Samsung LED LCD that I'm quite fond of.

7. macrumors regular

Don't insult us with Xserves and say that the two are comparable. Does the new Mac Mini support ethernet bonding? oh wait, it only has one ethernet port.

8. macrumors 6502a

Hmmm, can I play SC2 on high settings on a 1920x1080 and get 40fps+? :D

9. macrumors regular

But the Mac Mini has a thunderbolt port which you can add at least another ethernet "port" with.

10. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Reminds me of a quote I overheard 25 years ago. Company director was conducting a tour and pointing out one of the "new" VMS workstations (about twice the size of a Mac Pro). "The amazing thing is that is a 1 MIPS machine! It's incredible!"

Plus ça change...

11. macrumors regular

meet the all new Mac Pro: the Mac mini. (???)

12. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I think it is a little silly to be so amazed over 8 GB SO-DIMMs.

13. macrumors 68040

Thunderbolt to Ethernet dongle + built in Ethernet
    Thunderbolt Display with Ethernet + built in Ethernet
    USB3.0 to Ethernet dongle + built in Ethernet

I'd say that's three ways (two fairly cheap) to get two GB Ethernet ports on the Mac Mini wouldn't you?

14. macrumors 6502

emulator

15. macrumors G4

daneoni

16. macrumors 68020

Me too.

17. macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I almost wish I needed one!

Looks like a great machine.

18. macrumors 6502

zombierunner

I think for the prices apple charge for their macs, a ssd should come as standard across the board.

19. macrumors newbie

Anyone going to use the new Mac mini to build a render farm? Looking for some tips... I.e. is CPU the most important variable?

20. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Geez, sensitive much?

You were 'insulted' by a tech review?

It was a helpful comparison to give a rough estimate of how far the mini has come. I found it useful and not once did I think "Ha ha, Macrumors sure stuck it to MacintoshMan!"

21. macrumors member

I was considering the new low end, but I think that this has just made my mind up. Want the machine to last a good while so the mid it is! :D

22. macrumors 6502a

Scores are good. Imagine the increase if the case was...dare I say...a little bigger and fatter, with the ability to have a nice GPU as well as a desktop CPU. Wait I said bigger? WHOA Johnny Five Ive don't pass out.

Mini is a good machine though not knocking it really, it could be so much more.

23. macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Seems the dedicated GPU got the ax in favor of a quad-core CPU.

24. macrumors 6502

I'm picking one up to act as the main workhorse at home. We both have iPads and one ageing MBP, which should last a while longer yet. I get edu discount, so @ £430 it seems like a good buy. Will upgrade the RAM, obviously!

25. macrumors 6502a

KindredMAC

I absolutely love my 2010 mini and would love to replace it with the quad core version.

The mini has really become a nice little machine for everything from home theater use to graphic design to mini server use.

Between this and the iMac, the only pros that need the Mac Pro have been dwindled down to maybe 750-1000 potential customers possibly?