Early iPhone 7 Case Has No Headphone Jack and Stereo Speaker Cutouts

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 9, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

While the iPhone 7 is not expected to launch until September, French leaker Steve Hemmerstoffer has shared photos one of the first cases prepared for Apple's next-generation flagship smartphone.

The case has a larger cutout for either a traditional camera and LED flash setup, or possibly dual cameras. There are also two openings for stereo speakers in lieu of a 3.5mm headphone jack on current iPhones.

[​IMG]
    iPhone 7 case with larger cutout for dual-lens camera (Image: OnLeaks)

The aftermarket case's form factor closely resembles an iPhone 6s overall, with cutouts for a possible all-in-one Lightning connector, pill-shaped volume buttons, and side-facing power button in their traditional places.

Early case leaks have historically been fairly accurate indicators of new iPhone designs, though there have been a few notable exceptions. The first cases for Apple's purported iPhone SE also surfaced last week ahead of its expected March 21st launch.

[​IMG]
    The case also has openings for stereo speakers on the bottom (Image: OnLeaks)

Multiple rumors have also claimed the iPhone 7 will feature a dual-lens camera system. The hardware could be based on technology Apple acquired from LinX Imaging, which could lead to brighter and clearer DSLR-quality photos and several other major advantages for the iPhone 7 cameras.

Meanwhile, Barclays analysts believe the iPhone 7 will have dual speakers supplied by Cirrus Logic, an Austin-based provider of analog and digital signal processing components for consumer electronics. Stereo speakers could be louder and route audio signals through two channels to simulate direction perception.

Update: A previous version of this article said the case has a cutout for dual cameras, but the opening may only be large enough for a traditional single camera and LED flash setup. Some rumors claim the dual camera setup may be exclusive to the iPhone 7 Plus, which reportedly may be called the iPhone Pro.

Article Link: Early iPhone 7 Case Has No Headphone Jack and Stereo Speaker Cutouts

2. Sirious, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016

Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

So the normal iPhone 7 is getting the dual cameras too?
    I'm upgrading from a 5s, and was considering to go for the Plus model depending on what features it gets, but this is good news.

image.jpg

3. Andres Cantu macrumors 68000

Andres Cantu

The media is going to go nuts if the design stays largely the same!

Four years is too long for the same design.

4. yashar07 macrumors newbie

yashar07

I'm ready for dozens of iPhone 7 dummies that will eventually come in the next weeks.

5. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

I thought it was rumored to be only the 7+ dual camera! Now is the 7 also rumored to have it? The less difference from the tow, the better.

6. DevNull0 macrumors 6502a

So, there's room for stereo speakers instead of a 3.5mm audio pin. I love it.

i wonder who the board will appoint as CEO to bring back the 3.5mm pin for the 7s.

7. MrGuder macrumors 65816

MrGuder

8. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68000

OldSchoolMacGuy

There have been plenty of incorrectly designed cases in the past. Just because some Chinese knock-off shop makes a case now everything is fact huh.

Still 6 months before the 7 is announced and a couple months before it's finalized and goes into production. Anything at this point is simply a guess and far from fact.

9. Mac21ND macrumors 6502a

Mac21ND

it would be nice to have the stereo speakers separated one on top, another on bottom. My hand is always covering the existing speaker depending on how I hold it.

10. Steve121178, Mar 9, 2016

Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Lightning to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter available. Yours for only $69.99!

11. H2SO4 macrumors 68030

Yep, stereo speakers 20mm apart. Great.

12. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 68040

T'hain Esh Kelch

I really don't see the need for dual speakers in a phone this small? Most people that regularly use their iPhone as a party speaker usually buy small portable speakers that are orders of magnitudes better.

I'd rather they spent that small space difference on more battery. Or maybe an earl grey synthesizer. Hot.

13. Oblivious.Robot, Mar 9, 2016

Oblivious.Robot macrumors 6502

Oblivious.Robot

So it's going to retain its resemblance to the 6/S?
    That is including the much flawed placement of Power button opposite to the volume button?!
    Wow, I sincerely hope it's not true.

Edit - For me it's mildly infuriating, but at least I would have hoped for it to be addressed in the next 'tick' cycle.

14. nando87 macrumors 6502a

Apple's PR department is trying to build hype quite desperately.

15. Serban Suspended

how can be almost the same? no jack port , instead dual speakers , dual camera, slimmer profile, no such many bands, no pop up camera lens, less bezels...

16. Dave245 macrumors 68020

I cant see the design of the iPhone 7 staying the same, every iPhone number (i.e. the 4,5,6 and so on) has had a different design. I cant see a reason why Apple would keep it the same as the 6 and 6S. I could be wrong but i don't think it is correct, i think Apple are probably still deciding before the final iPhone 7 design is settled and goes into production.

17. Tech198 macrumors G3

So, they could have just made the opening's too big

Cut out the 3.5mm connector to make way for another speaker... I always wanted my iPhone to be heard in stereo... :D

18. antonis macrumors 68000

antonis

So, what changes externally ? Is apple going to keep the same design for 3 years in a row ?

19. Mac21ND macrumors 6502a

Mac21ND

Outside of a radical curved design (with an OLED screen), the phone is going to remain relatively the same design. There's only so many things you can do. Even if you go back to the first iPhone, what's changed has been things like size, thickness, but it's still more or less a rounded rectangle with a touchscreen.

20. Dave245 macrumors 68020

Maybe the big design change will come next year with the rumoured OLED and curved display rumour, this year could just see more features added such as the dual camera?

21. Chupa Chupa macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

Cirrus Logic speakers -- pretty fancy. Can't get much more audiophile than that. :D

So looking forward to Apple's presentation exholing how they were able to squeeze two tuna fish cans into the case for the tinest sounding iPhone yet AND now with stereo distortion.

22. gsmornot macrumors 68020

gsmornot

That case will be yellow by the time the real phone is on the market.

23. iapplelove Contributor

iapplelove

I'm all in for good iPhone leaks but a case leak this early without any physical parts yet to be smuggled out of Foxconn is a bit premature.

24. nfl46 macrumors 603

25. teslo macrumors 6502a

teslo

it would be much more in line with all their other products. iPad air has basically lasted 4 years (maybe longer if the 9" iPad pro isn't total fact). their computer designs last no less than 4, i think.. and our phones are essentially little computers at this point. has to slow down pretty soon or 'bendgate' will start happening just holding the phone, let alone sitting on it.

personally i'd like it to pretty much stop. keep it thick to improve battery, etc (that whole argument) - and what i'd love to see in the future is for you to be able to carry your ultra-light with you at all times and allow the phone to use CPU from the laptop via the cloud or some imminent wireless tech. i like a solid phone, they're starting to scare me slightly with their featherweight in my clumsy hands.