Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thisrocks

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Melbourne Australia
The part that doesn't make sense to me in all of this, is the centred USB port. It made sense with the 30 pin connecter because of its width, but such a slim cable coming out of the middle seems odd.

Only thing is, I can't think of anywhere better to put it unless they reposition the speaker (oh if only there were two) - the headphones being down the bottom is a decent move, as you won't have cables coming out left right and centre when gaming.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
this.

but sadly this.

I'm just not ready to switch to Android, no matter how lackluster the next iPhone is turning out to be.

How is that lackluster?! 4'' screen, LTE, probably NFC, 1GB RAM, bigger battery, new design. What else could there possibly be?

----------

The part that doesn't make sense to me in all of this, is the centred USB port. It made sense with the 30 pin connecter because of its width, but such a slim cable coming out of the middle seems odd.

Only thing is, I can't think of anywhere better to put it unless they reposition the speaker (oh if only there were two) - the headphones being down the bottom is a decent move, as you won't have cables coming out left right and centre when gaming.

It's in the center to give the speakers more separation, giving it a more 3D sound.

burtba

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
Mate, they are absolutely SICK renditions. This would just be so awesome. This however is FAR too much of a jump for Apple. They tend to take baby steps. So much so that Samsung has now over-taken Apple as far as 'Form-Factor goes. The iPhone 4 form factor is old. The IOS with rows and rows of icon is old. IMO this new iPhone 5 leaked images is disappointing. (not a massive surprise since Steve is no longer with us)
If these images you posted here was the iPhone 5 I would pre-pay for one, without knowing any more about it. This designer needs a job at Apple.

Poisednoise

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
London UK
It's in the center to give the speakers more separation, giving it a more 3D sound.

I don't think there are two speakers. One is the microphone. There would be little point to two speakers in any case: you're never going to get a stereo sound (which is what I assume you meant by "3d") with separation of only 3cm, particularly given that the phone's unlikely ever to be positioned correctly in relation to your ears. :)

juannacho

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
I hope the two tone rear doesn't see the light of day. It's ugly, and just doesn't follow Apple's design philosophy. :confused:

It kind of does though doesn't it? I'm sat in front of my iMac right now and in terms of a base visual philosophy I've got a big shiny screen area and a matte metal strip at the bottom with a gloss Apple logo.

This design to me at least feels as though it's more in line with the broader Mac product range than the current iPhone.

I'd have to see it in the flesh though to decide if it actually looks any good! ;)

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I'm still confident the next iPhone won't look anything like the "leaked prototype", too many un-Apple qualities, awkward to hold and use, alignment of camera off etc.

I expect more likely to look like a small iPad with tapered rear ally shell, glass apple logo etc, slightly bigger than iPhone 4 in height and width with 4.3" screen...

Well that's what I want at least! But all seems feasible, the taper would help account for extra size in the hand, I mocked this up on 3DS Max and realistically the phone would only need to be about 1-2mm wider and 6-7mm longer to accommodate this screen based on iPad parts and spacings. It would look great and be a logical design step rather than the poor leaked design, no matter how much it's growing on people.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
To me these photos show that the case leaks we've seen could be one of many prototypes. Apple clearly does a ton of prototying and 3D mockups, most of which never see the light of day.

QuiteSure

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2002
The never-ending debate

I know that there are many comments that the iPhone 4 is looking old but for my money it is the perfect form factor. I'm old enough to remember that portable phones have gotten smaller and smaller to become more convenient. Now that cell phones have become smart phones and therefore very small portable computers the trend is moving towards larger screens. I get that and I do see some benefits to having a larger screen on my smart phone but at the end of the day I'm still carrying this thing around and I need functionality and above all portability.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I know that there are many comments that the iPhone 4 is looking old but for my money it is the perfect form factor.

Yeah, it's classic styling in my eyes too. If it only wasn't so delicate! I'm still not sure if it will retain that look stretched out to 16:9, and I'm having an even harder time with the two toned back. In pictures it looks contrived like Apple wanted to avoid having to retool entirely so part of the back is stamped from the same machine that makes the iPhone 4 back.

But pictures can often betray how people and things look in real life (many BMWs as case-in-point) so we'll have to wait and see the real thing. I admit I'll buy regardless. What the heck, it's going to be covered up in a case whether it's a SI swimsuit model or something less lovely. Ha!

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Pathetic.

Nice judgement there, sport. How about, without knowing anything about you, I call your choice of car pathetic? Kinda dumb right? So was your comment.

----------

I think your math is off.

iPhone
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
iPhone 5

Yup, it's right. It's the naming convention. Not the generation name they are referring to. The first iPhone didn't have a "number" in it's name. This would be Apple's fault. I think they might start calling it the "iPhone" just like the new "iPad" and leaving off the numeric convention.

Hm, I count 6...Apple can call it whatever they want, it is still the 6th gen iPhone, period. Don't point at a blue sky and call it red.

johnybarkerr

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
According to me, Maybe that's a prototype iPhone 4 that Apple's stuck put onto the rumour mill to build suspense, and the real thing is actually totally different and much better!! That would be brilliant.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
It's continual leaks like this that cause people to not purchase the iPhone 4s resulting in a significant drop in sales, poor market perceptions, and stock devaluation. I guess I should turn lemons into lemonaid and put every penny I have into Apple stock now because it's going to go sky high when the iPhone 5 is released.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Just make it something like this and I'll be happy.

Excuse the poor mock-up, 15 mins on Photoshop but just showing scale needed for 4.3" screen. Phone size doesn't need to dramatically increase (see dimensions). Details obviously not all there but it's just an example of what I'd hope the next iPhone to be rather than the leaked mock-up.

iPhone5-1.jpg

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
Yeah, it's classic styling in my eyes too. If it only wasn't so delicate! I'm still not sure if it will retain that look stretched out to 16:9!

So far from what we've seen, it does seem the new 4" form factor is Apple trying to giving the iPhone 4 design a bigger screen without changing the look from the front so much. So we'll see.

and I'm having an even harder time with the two toned back. In pictures it looks contrived like Apple wanted to avoid having to retool entirely so part of the back is stamped from the same machine that makes the iPhone 4 back.

I doubt that's really true though. Rather I believe this is yet another evidence of my earlier point: Apple is trying to keep at least some of the classic iPhone look. After all, based on the rumored pictures the material and the structure have been completely changed from glass sandwich to metal unibody. That would've probably required Apple more retooling than simply changing the superficial look.

But pictures can often betray how people and things look in real life (many BMWs as case-in-point) so we'll have to wait and see the real thing.

That's so true. Remember how all iPhone users were disappointed when the lost iPhone 4 pictures leaked out? In person it looked spectacular, in a large part because of the excellent fit&finish and the feeling of a premium product.

Just make it something like this and I'll be happy.

There was that rumor which indicated the new iPod Touch would look very similar to your mock up with a "buffed" aluminium back. I doubt its display will be 4.3" though.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
There was that rumor which indicated the new iPod Touch would look very similar to your mock up with a "buffed" aluminium back. I doubt its display will be 4.3" though.

Yeah, I actually made the mock-up a little thin but aside from that I think from trying various phones (my contract was up six weeks back but I'm letting it roll rather than upgrade before the next iPhone) that 4.3" is about the ideal for a modern multi-media phone. Galaxy S3 is getting too large, anything under 4" is looking too small... Who knows what Apple will do but I still doubt the leaked design is legit due to odd detailing.

srazz

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
These two tone mock ups are ugly. Doesn't seem like a product from Apple. Either all glass or all aluminum. :)

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Big screen and no 30pin = No sale

I often look for number of pins when choosing a phone... :D But seriously, there'll be an adaptor for any existing equipment if they change it, if it is smaller and helps to make the design better then that can only be a good thing long term.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I often look for number of pins when choosing a phone... :D But seriously, there'll be an adaptor for any existing equipment if they change it, if it is smaller and helps to make the design better then that can only be a good thing long term.

I don't want a kludge solution I want a 30 pin dock connector and a 3.5" screen. This is a mini iPad with a connector that fits nothing.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I don't want a kludge solution I want a 30 pin dock connector and a 3.5" screen. This is a mini iPad with a connector that fits nothing.

Then you just keep the iPhone 4/4S - easy! It'll be cheap when the new one arrives too. They will absolutely make it a bigger screen, phones are basically mobile internet browsers nowadays and the iPhone has been looking outclassed in screen size for a while (though some are definitely TOO big). Making it longer only would be silly as that only benefits video which most people would not consider a major factor aside from YouTube vids.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Then you just keep the iPhone 4/4S - easy! It'll be cheap when the new one arrives too. They will absolutely make it a bigger screen, phones are basically mobile internet browsers nowadays and the iPhone has been looking outclassed in screen size for a while (though some are definitely TOO big). Making it longer only would be silly as that only benefits video which most people would not consider a major factor aside from YouTube vids.

I'll probably meander back to android..

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I'll probably meander back to android..

Aye, if new iPhone is as shown then I'll probably make the switch, the HTC or Samsung things seem ok, if not quite as polished as Apple stuff... As I can take my upgrade now I won't bother waiting if it's just for a longer screen and slightly crappier design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.