Early Mac OS X Leopard Notes and Observations

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 25, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With the delivery of Mac OS X Leopard, there have been a number of articles detailing individual observations. Here compilation of interesting Leopard tidbits:

Engadget
    - No backing up with Time Machine over the drives you have connected via USB to your Airport Extreme (possible workaround)
    - Time Machine can backup over the network but only to AFP shares
    - Syncing notes to iPhone doesn't work (yet?)

Gizmodo
    - no R2D2 hologram effect in iChat (image)
    - When you unplug your Time Machine external, nothing happens, but the instant you plug it back in, Time Machine does a backup -- in the background. You never see anything, but it silently backs stuff up every time that drive is connected.
    - Feels fast on a PowerBook G4 1.33GHz

David Pogue
    - New iChat preference: the preference setting called "Watch for my name in incoming messages." It alerts you any time anyone, in any of the open chats, types your name, even if you're doing something else on the Mac.

MacWorld
    - Resizable partitions: Create and resize hard disk partitions on the fly in Leopard.

MacOSXHints
    - When you're viewing all of your Spaces (F8), you can press the C key to collect all the windows from all spaces into the first space. Press C again to send them back where they started.

Article Link

2. macrumors regular

I like the iChat feature, so if its really important you can get the attention of whoever you're talking to - good idea!

3. macrumors newbie

I am getting leopard in about...13 hours hehe

4. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

5. macrumors regular

stoutboy1

I am so so Bumed that we cant use Time machine over airport extreme, my back-up drives is in another room. I hope this is something that they can and will fix real soon (tommorrow:D) please. I hope its not a hardware limitation, and someone can post a work around... Heres to hoping. :apple: your the best you can do it.

6. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

A@ron already posted a workaround in the post I linked above.

B

7. macrumors newbie

8. macrumors regular

stoutboy1

Oh Man that was quick, If that works you are my hero, or at least one of them. I wish it was dumed down all the way I not sure Ill be able to follow those steps. Ill give it a shot though.

Man arent these forums great.:)

9. macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

That's so disappointing. That was the best one.

That's great to hear for me!

10. macrumors 6502

11. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

A@ron made the post I linked to, so thank him. Makes me actually reconsider picking it up tomorrow evening.

B

12. macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

No hologram effect? I am truly disappointed.

Yeah, it's nothing special compared to the other great innovations Leopard introduces, but it was extremely cool.

Apple shouldn't tease us with stuff they can't deliver on. The poster on Gizmodo was right, it did get a standing ovation.

Unless, of course, they were really sued by Lucasfilm...

13. macrumors 65816

Decrepit

It is impossible to study for exams with new information being posted like this.

But, if all goes well, I'll have finished my exams, picked up my copy of Leopard and have installed it by this time tomorrow.

:)

14. macrumors 6502a

Somewhere it was said that the hologram effect only works on intel machines. Confirm of Deny? Anybody? If Gizmodo were running on only a G4 (which they comment on the speed), then its just one of those things that older machines can't do - like how the old G4 Mac Mini could not do ripples on dashboard.

Frankly - if that sort of thing is the largest issue people have with Leaopard then we are looking good.

15. macrumors 68000

BWhaler

That hint from MacOSX is killer.

That is the type of thing I wouldn't think of asking about until I used Spaces for awhile. Then, it would kill me to not know how to do it.

Of course Apple figured out a way to consolidate all of the windows. Brilliant...

16. macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

I think that's all effects in iChat, not just the star wars-y one. So if they weren't able to do the other ones they'd not mention that one and would probably be a little more confused. I'd imagine they've tried it on an intel and the powerbook just to be able to comment on the intel and ppc versions together.

17. macrumors 65816

bankshot

Speaking of notes from various reviews, I found this review from ABC interesting because they say that there's no way to delete a file from Time Machine once it's backed up. The implication is that if you need to get rid of any trace of a certain file for security reasons, Time Machine won't let you truly eradicate it from all existence.

If true, this is a pretty huge oversight on Apple's part. As the review says:
    Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Aside from that, Leopard is sounding pretty impressive. I may buy a copy around 10.5.1 or 10.5.2. ;)

18. macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

That would be a pretty dumb oversight, but I don't give a hoot about Time Machine and will never use it.

19. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

That is a massive load of horse crap.:mad:

I have a home server that has served me well over the last 3 years when I rebuilt her. Backups via scrip has run flawlessly. I was looking forward to ditching the script for TM and simply using some of the TB of space I have available. For a time I've been considering buying an external drive just for TM, but I just had an $800+ hospital bill dumped in my lap. That isn't happening anytime soon. This better be hacked in short order, dang short. :mad:

20. macrumors 6502a

I'm more curious as to why they got rid of the "Answering Machine" Preference in iChat 4.0 since build 9A499. I liked it, was a cool way for someone to get a video or sound away message.

21. JPT
    macrumors regular

May I be the stupid n00b and ask, "What's AFP?"? Me has no clue :D

22. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I could've sworn AirPort support was on Apple's official feature list at one point. I've just gone and emptied out my AirPort drive too!

Apple Filing Protocol, the "normal" way of sharing Mac volumes.

23. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

It was

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2007/10/timemachineairportdisk/index.php

24. JPT
    macrumors regular

May I be an even bigger n00b and ask "How is this achieved?" :p

25. macrumors member

It's not nice to mess with mother nature and backups! :eek:

Since Apple removed this feature they once touted, there must be something wrong. So now we have a workaround to shoot ourselves in the foot and screw up our TM backups. Brilliant! :(

If you think so little of your data, why do you bother to back it up? :confused: