Earned brownie points the first week on job

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacDawg, Jan 23, 2005.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

OK, so I'm winding down my first week on the new (old) job today.

Its 26 degrees with a wind chill of 13 degrees, wind gusts to 30 mph at the Atlanta airport. Most flights have been cancelled to the northeast of the USA.

But, the highlight of my week is the brownie points I earned today. Doesn't take much to impress Windows users :rolleyes:

I have two supervisors, one was here yesterday, one was off. I mentioned a Photoshop project I had done at home (on my Mac of course) to the supervisor on duty, and he asked me to surprise the other supervisor. He took the off duty supervisor's son's picture off his desk and had me take it home, scan it, and Photoshop it. His son is in the 10th grade and in his football uniform. I cut him out of the picture with Photoshop, and added him to a desktop picture with the Auburn University logo (being a UGA Dawg fan, that was tough, but I figured it was worth the brownie points).

It turned out very nice, and stopped by the store and picked up 2 cheap frames. I printed a 5X7 and an 8X10 and brought them in today (they printed very nice on photo paper). He was astounded and very appreciative. He can't wait to take the 8X10 home to his wife, and he has the 5X7 on his desk now. He took them out into the break room and showed them to everybody. In fact, I've had supervisors from other areas come by to tell me they saw the pic. :rolleyes:

It was an easy job, but earned me lots of points.

Soooooo, my question is...

What have you done lately that has earned you "brownie points"
    either at work or at home,
    with your Mac, or without your Mac!

Woof, Woof - Dawg
    *brrrrrr, need a heater in my dawghouse*

2. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

hahaha thats good!

you little suck up, lol

I should do something like that with my teachers.... :cool:

3. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Bought my g/f a shuffle which got me brownie points - also bought her a real brownie - does that count as double? :) Happy to hear that the new job is going Ok - apart from the weather. Keep doing that and you'll have your old job back. lol Macdawg

4. AnewMac macrumors regular

iPhoto

I took pictures from our recent field trip, I ran them through iPhoto, created easy slideshows, burned them for some parents. Happy parents makes my job (teacher) so much easier!

5. phreakout13 macrumors 6502

phreakout13

I burned my French teacher a Django Reinhardt CD and made a nice cover for it:)

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Well, I used my Mac to recover a good friend of mine's USB flash drive. The file system had been corrupted (from it being pulled out w/o being ejected) and so I stuck it into my PowerBook, copied the files off, reformatted the USB flash drive, and copied the files back on.

And being a geek, I explained what caused the corrupted filesystem. :)

I guess this counts more if I tell you that the friend was female...

7. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Think!

About seven years ago I was unemployed and took a 9-month 'make-work' contract with the county as part of an Enhanced-911 emergency services upgrade. The county had already issued all 60,000 rural homes a little 5-digit sign to put on their lawn. The signs that were issued were put into a database, but they were never plotted on a map. My job was to take 9-months and drive all the rural roads in the county and plot all 60,000 addresses on a map -- that would then be turned into the base map for all the emergency services dispatch centers. It took me about two hours of driving to notice that all the intersections also had new signs posted, indicating the range if numbers in each block. Hmmm........

So I thought, wait a minute -- we've got a complete list of all the intersection ranges, as well as a complete list of all the houses inside those ranges. We know that the odd-numbered houses are always on the north or east sides of the road. Why can't we just reverse the formula and mathematically plot the location of each house between the intersections, on the correct side of the road? So I sat down at my desk and ran some tests and in every case it worked perfectly. So I called the guys that would be making the AutoCAD maps and told them my idea, and they wrote a little subroutine that would take the existing house number database and plot each address on the map automatically, based on the relative distance between the intersections on each road. We did a small-scale test; it worked perfectly, plotting in an instant what would have taken hours by hand.

When I told my idea to my supervisors they looked at me like I was from the moon. I told them that I could do in a week what they had expected to take 9-months. And, my way was far more accurate. They didn't believe it, but they gave me the go-ahead to try. In the end it took a little longer than a week, but the final results exceeded everybody's expectations. Our police, fire, and ambulance dispatchers had the most amazing, accurate digital maps of every house in the county that anyone had ever seen.

Not sure if this qualifies as getting brownie points, but I am now a Platoon Supervisor at our combined 911 / Police & Fire Dispatch Center!

8. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

BRILLIANT!

Way to think in the age of technology!

Far too often, people have taken the computer technology we have and made things more complicated, to where they actually take longer than to do something by hand. Instead of saving time, we take more time.

You have done the reverse, and used technology to simplify and save time. Just what we should be doing.

Kudos to you!

I hope that my little Photoshop stunt will give me an inroad into the supervisor's computer and I can revolutionize some of the way we do things they way you have.

Woof, Woof - Dawg