Earphones for running?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ebook, Sep 10, 2004.

1. ebook macrumors 6502

Jun 10, 2004
    Sprint Car Capital of the World
    I'm in need of some earphones that stay in place when you are running or when you turn your head to look for cars. I don't have an iPod right now, just a Rio that holds six songs :eek: , but I will be getting one in the next 3 or 4 months so I want to get something that sounds alright. I don't really want to spend more than $40. Any suggestions? Or, do the ones that come with the iPod stay in while running? If so, I might just get some $10 ones to hold me over.
  2. maelstromr macrumors 6502

Aug 8, 2002
    Charlottesville, VA
    I think the ipod phones that come included stayed in well for me, although after a year and heavy use they wore out a bit, so I'm replacing them with sony's. DO NOT run with the apple in the ear phones, they barely stay in when walking, for me at least, but maybe I have a choppy gait or something.
  3. Honortgoat macrumors newbie

Aug 20, 2003
    Sierra Foothills, California
    First, I'd warn against running on the roads/sidewalks at all while wearing headphones. No, I don't have any "facts," but it seems to be much more dangerous. Sure you might hear a car coming down the road at 50 mph, but the sound of a car coming out of a driveway/parking lot/etc is easily covered up. If you are going to wear headphones while running, please be careful.

That said, leading up to and during exam time at law school I have so little time, that multitasking is mandatory. I love to run (and hate to do it with headphones), but need to study, so I compromise and do both by running while listening to law review audio files. I've found the standard iPod headphones to work brilliantly while running. I've never had a problem with them coming out on the run (unless I've wanted them to). I'd caution against something like the in-ear headphones as they block out even more outside noise and are that much more dangerous.

Good luck and enjoy your running.

Bryon - a runner of 12 years
  4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I turn my volume up high when I jog. I don't even listen to the music, really, but it keeps me going anyway. Sometimes a few songs will pass without me even noticing. I don't jog as far without my iPod.

Anyway, the iPod earphones stay in fine for me. However, they stay only stay on great if I use those black spongy earphone covers included with the iPod. They cover each earphone piece, and make it a bit thicker, which allows for a better fit. :)