Earplugs for Concerts?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ChrisBrightwell, Jun 16, 2006.

1. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

It's official: I'm getting old.

I haven't been to a lot of shows lately, but the few that I've been to have been quite loud. I'll be seeing KMFDM (who are notorious for ear-bleeding volumes in Atlanta) in October and I'll catch several Tool shows this fall.

I have hearing loss from when I was a kid and I've finally gotten to the point where most rock shows are just too loud, so I'm finally investing in a pair of good earplugs.

I'd like something with 20-25dB of relatively flat attenuation for less than $50. I know I can go with cheap foam, but I'd rather not. I'm currently eyeing the ER-20s ($15 in most places).

Anyone use earplugs? Have any suggestions?

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i recently started using em, but only the cheap ones, so no help on that.

i've found it is tough to get a good balance with the cheap ones though, not sure if the fancy ones would be better at that. that is, putting them in all the way shuts the sound way down, having them mostly out has basically no benefit... one extreme or the other.

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I don't think I'm all that old, but I'd rather wear ear plugs now to protect my hearing for a few more years :p I do wear ear plugs at almost every show I go to (whether it's at a big open air venue, or indoors), but I wear somewhat cheapie ones.

I've bought two kinds: these ones from Hearos and the ones I currently have are by Mack's. :shrug: I dunno how good they are or whatnot, I just know that they're affordable and they help out, that and I pick them up in quantities of several pairs (about 10 pairs) so I just use 'em 'til they run out, and pick some random ones up from a local drug store. I don't pay that much attention to brand or whatnot.

4. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    KMFDM is touring again? Sexy. I'm so going to that if they come through Denver. I hope Raymond Watts is going along for the ride. I really miss Skold, the sound hasn't been the same without him...

I'm only 24, but I can tell you that I'm starting to sense that my hearing is going downhill from when I used to go to loud punk shows when I was 14 years old.

IT may not be a bad idea. Get the ones that look like they're apart of your ear. That way you don't get tossed into the middle a pit. lol

5. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Ear plugs? cough *nerd* cough. ;) :p

Just bring some iPod "In-Ear" Headphones. they're good earplugs and they look cool.

6. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I hear you. Seriously.

I've been wearing ear protection for years since going to shows, however it really depends on where I sit. And in a pinch, a rolled up wad of napkin or tissue will suffice.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

no they don't:p

8. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I like these kind because they're reusable and comfortable. Also, you don't have to roll them up before putting them in. :)

[​IMG]

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Concerts? Heck, I wear 'em (foam ear plugs) when I mow the lawn...especially after reading that the dB level of many lawnmowers is almost as bad as standing near a plane.

I've already got some age-related hearing loss, and I don't want to lose any more than I have to.

Actually, it's kind of nice when cutting the grass. Reduces the mower noise to a low hum, and helps tune out the world while I work.

10. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

I use ear plugs all the time. Walgreens sells a very comfortable skin-toned pack called, "HEAROS."

I use them in clubs, bars, karaoke, etc. They're great. I can easily hear conversations in loud clubs with them. I can't enjoy myself in a dance club if I'm constantly thinking about adding to my hearing loss.

[edit] I just checked HEAROS's website. They even sell special ear-plugs for specific types of music concerts. You can hear what you want without going deaf.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've never used them. I was at an all day festival-type deal (Pointfest for anyone in STL who knows what I'm talking about) and was standing right in front of the stage for a couple of the shows on the sidestage and my hearing was fine.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Try your local pharmacy. They'll probably sell several different brands the foam kind for about $4.00 a package of a 10-20 reusable plugs. If you sleep with somebody who snores, you probably already own some... :eek:

13. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

I meant in comparison to ear plugs...

14. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I highly doubt that. Having worked at the airport with jets and turboprops and having mowed the lawn, I can attest to the fact that the lawnmower is definitely not louder than any airplane besides maybe a glider. My ears have never felt physical pain when standing near a lawnmower. I can't say the same for airplanes, and that's just when the engines are idling and taxiing.