Earth Day Initiative

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by swanny, Jan 29, 2005.

1. swanny macrumors regular

Nov 12, 2004

Greetings fellow earthlings
    and many blessings to you.

We come before you this day to seek your participation in a
    Global Earth Day event for the year 2005.

In homage to the planet and to cleanse its electrical and communications fields,
    We the participating citizens of Earth and the netizens of
    Hereby pledge to perform a "power fast" or "green out" on April 22, 2005 for approximately a 10 minute period anytime between 8 A.M. and 9 A.M. in the Standard Time Zone of our abode or home. Please do not all turn your power
    box off at the same time as this could unduly strain the system and grid. Try to space out your outages according to your location in your particular time zone,
    therefore if you are near the eastern edge of your time zone you would go first at around 8:00 A.M. and those around the western edge would go later at around
    8:50 A.M. or so.

We shall during this break light a candle and give an offering of some tobacco or incense in homage to the Great Mother Earth "Gaia" with the intention and prayer of thanks and to draw upon her natural energies and cleansing ability to realign and reconfigure and cleanse the planetary energy fields.

We do this with all good intent and will and to rid the planet of any disruptive energies that have become or may be trapped and linger in the semi-natural planetary hardware.

Please join us in this action and if it proves over the season, to have been effective and worthy, let us be allowed and let us henceforth adopt it for the following opposite solstice or between 8;00 A.M. and 9:00 A.M. on September 22, of the year 2005.

In addition... it might be appropriate and worth while to play the appropriate musical season for your hemisphere, from the Classical artist Vivaldi's Four seasons musical composition some time as well during that hour.

In hopes that you will join us in this global earth day celebration and such event
    the green citizens and netizens of Earth.

January 29th, 2005

Please feel free to copy and distribute at will and heart.
  2. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    A little new-agey for my tastes, though I will celebrate the day in my own manner, be assured.

BTW, how would one listen to music (Vivaldi or whatever) with the power turned off? Just curious...also how would turning off your power (cumulative) strain the grid?
  3. swanny thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 12, 2004

You don't listen while the power is off....
    unless you have an Ipod or something
    you listen before or after the 10 minute "fast"

The grid is dependant on power "loads"
    The blackout in the East a year or so ago
    was caused by a chain reaction of automatic shutdowns
    that cascaded due to "load strains" or overloads.
    It is like when the load is unbalanced or overloaded
    a "circuit" automatically "trips" a breaker so
    the wiring doesn't get fried. Its a supply and demand
    thing as well.
  4. Bonsaichop macrumors member

Nov 7, 2004
    Wollongong, Australia
    Use a gramaphone... or even better (and more inventive) take a page out of MacGyver's book and use 1x pin from earing, 1x cone shaped peice of paper put a record balanced on a large peice of cork in your tub, rotate the record at 33 1/3 rpm while gently putting the pin of the earing on the record while the paper cone is connected to teh earing...

and viola (excuse the pun) you have Vivaldi... MacGyver style!
  5. swanny thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 12, 2004
    Pollution tests

I suppose I could "explain" to you in addition
    that while the big black of 2003 occured
    some research group was conducting air quality
    and pollution tests in the area around some of the
    power generating stations and observed an abnormal
    dissipation of harmful pollution particles that seemed
    to be much higher than could have been expected
    for the science and numbers that are available.
    They concluded that even a small reduction of power
    consumption then seemed to have an "exponential" type
    of benefit for the environment.
    They could not explain why nor have I seen any of the
    data to confirm that report but it simply demostrated
    that some sort of "freak" benefit did come out of that