Earthquake in Anchorage!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dihakz, Feb 6, 2002.

1. dihakz macrumors newbie

Feb 6, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I learned that my new iMac (which I've been waiting on for four weeks) has, at last, arrived in Anchorage, Alaska today -- only to hear that there has been a severe earthquake there!!! I hope my new addition is okay. :(
  2. voicegy macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002
    Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Yeah, the heck with the people, let's hope the iLamp is safe!:p
  3. cornelius macrumors regular

Jan 9, 2002
    sit back and have a joint,the imacs are ok

CHORAGE, Alaska (CNN) -- A 4.8-magnitude earthquake jolted the Anchorage area Wednesday, the West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center said.

The quake occurred at 8:19 a.m. local time (12:19 p.m. EST) and was centered 10 miles southeast of Anchorage, the state's largest city.

The warning center in Palmer said the quake was 17 miles miles beneath the Earth's surface. No injuries or damage were reported.
  4. Spock macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2002
    Did you order your iMac at the Alaska Macstore? If so I'm sorry THAT STORE SUCKS!!!!! I went in their and asked for a ADB mouse for my old Powermac G3 and the Boneheads had no idea what ADB was. Then I figured I would give them another chance and went to see if they had a new printer cable for my Stylewriter 2 and one of the morons argued with me that Apple never made printers???:mad:
  5. evanmarx macrumors member

Oct 23, 2001
    Oh man ... that hurts .... i mean it's at least ten years ago, but then we also had an apple laserwriter... huge thing ...

but those stories always remind of how far ahead apple was and still is ...:rolleyes:
  6. RitchieDeMan macrumors member

Feb 1, 2002
    Wasn't the Apple StyleWriter made by Canon and rebadged?
  7. networkman macrumors regular

Jan 1, 2002
    california, usa
    that is not as bad as it could be like in california where an earthquake of that magnitude is commonplace

i don't see the corelation of an earthquake and damage to computers unless there are major power spikes...i did see an imac for the first time and this computer which looks like it is easy to tip over, is actually incredibly stable because it is so bottom heavy

but there was once a much larger earthquake in alaska many years ago and if one of that strength, 7 or 8, hits your town, the last thing you will be worried about is your computer unless it falls on you and hits you in the head
  8. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    That earthquake is not that bad, 5 is something, 6 IS something, 6.5 you are **** up. My father works in rescue and I have my share of lessons of earthquakes magnitudes.
  9. SPG macrumors 65816

Jul 24, 2001
    In the shadow of the Space Needle.
    Yeah, I know someone who bought a 733 for full price ($3500) the day of the MWNY quicksilver announcement 'cause the Anchorage store said that nothing new was announced and so the 733 was it. Nice to get f***ed by tour own people huh?