Earthquake in California!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Doctor Q, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We are having a huge earthquake here in Los Angeles. I had time to open my browser, find this forum, and send this post, all while it was still shaking. It hasn't stopped yet.

2. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I just talked to a geologist, who said from the duration (a minute or more) and intensity he guesses it was centered in San Francisco or Mexico. He said it wasn't east of us or we would have lost power. We'll see.

3. ksz macrumors 68000

Actually a 6.5 magnitude, centered about 200 miles north of LA in Cambria, not far from William Randolf Hurst Castle (San Simeon).

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Earthquake in California!

Holy moving earth Batman! A 6.5 magnitude less than 30 miles away and 5 miles deep. Sure felt a lot of shaking and rolling! No damage though thankfully. More reports later.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

6. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Here's the first report I found:

USGS link
    This is on the California coast, about half way between Los Angeles and San Francisco.

The building I'm in swayed back and forth. I felt dizzy for a couple minutes afterwards. A photo frame fell off a shelf, but no other damage in the room I'm in. I hope everyone else in the state fared as well.

Don't worry, Macworld will not be canceled!

7. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

You OK man?

6.4 is a BIG deal man. Everything okay down there?

Our 7.1 was no picnic but it was only 15 seconds.... this was much longer.

8. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Anybody else in the area?

vniow, are you okay?

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Re: You OK man?

Hehe, I was at Cabrillo in '89, I remember that one well.

All's well here, the animals are freaked and their water is all over the floor, but nothings broken, and the house seems ok. If I hadn't been here to catch the TV it would have hit the floor though. I grabbed my TiBook (I was working on some CAD drawings at the time) and held the wall and the entertainment center up. Fun fun!!!!!

10. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I heard it was centered in Monterrey, mac, you must be home for the holidays? Everything ok in Santa Cruz?

11. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Re: Re: You OK man?

Any more on your resume? That sux man. A person only needs 1 serious earthquake per lifetime.

Hmm..... CAD on a TiBook... That's gotta be either VectorCAD or ArchiCAD. I worked for 2 years on ArchiCAD. Good program, ****ty company.

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My thoughts and prayers go out to my fellow Mac Forum members in Southern California. Happy to hear that you are OK mactastic. Will look forward to your updates.

13. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I'm about 200 miles from the epicenter, which according to usgs.gov was near san simeon. (I live in the Bay Area) and my whole office was shaking. Well, it was more of a gentle rolling or swaying. not relaly scary. Kind of felt like I was drugged up on antihistamines or something. What was surprising was not the strength, it was the duration. That one lasted a pretty good while, felt like around a minute, though it was probably less. No big deal. What I hate about this is that the frickin news won't leave it alone for the rest of the day. Every other news story is going to be about the earthquake, Even when we get little ones that do absolutely nothing to anyone, they'll send a crew out to interview some shop owner who standas there and says, "yeah, it shook a little, but nothing fell over or anything). And the papers and websites will totally sensationalize it. I don't know if this one did any damage yet, but I just hate the news coverage of earthquakes in general.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sorry, there's another thread in comunity about this. But no the epicenter was in Cambria apparently. Sure hope everything's ok at the Diablo Canyon nuclear facility!

15. ddbean macrumors regular

a long one...

I have to say that was the longest time I've felt a quake go on for. I am about 200 miles from center (to south), and it was rolling for a good minute. No damage here, good news. Lets hope we don't have a larger one in the next 7 days as this is a slight possibility.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The epicenter of the initial 6.5 shock was 7 miles NE of San Simeon, but the aftershocks have been working their way south, apparently along the fault line. I imagine Cambria took it pretty hard -- that's the only town of any size in the immediate vicinity. Haven't heard any reports yet, though.

http://www.data.scec.org:3128/recenteqs/Maps/121-35.html

We felt it very distinctly here in Ventura County, a good 200 miles to the south. It was a rolling sensation. At first I thought the dizziness was from my sinuses acting up, then I saw the lamps swaying.

17. bburchill macrumors member

Felt it here in Carmel which is not far from San Simeon. At first, it started out as just another mild tremor...no big deal...but it kept going on and getting bigger.

After about 15 seconds, we all at once decided to get up and go outside...quickly. No damage...whew!

18. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

There is a callapse building in Paso Robles. There has been more than 40 aftershocks the strongest being 4.7

19. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Sheesh, my dad just moved up to Cayucos (about 10 miles south of Cambria) a few weeks ago. I called him and he's okay, he was on the road at the time driving towards Morro Bay. He said that he saw some transformers blow.

I even felt it down here in Irvine! I'm on the 10th floor of a high-rise, so it was rocking pretty good. Not cool. :eek:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/12/22/ca.earthquake/index.html

20. Foucault macrumors 6502

Foucault

In Glendale, I didn't feel it as much, until I began to notice all our holiday ornaments on the ceilings started swaying. It was a pretty smooth earthquake, I've definitely felt stronger and more rough earthquakes...

21. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I heard the first report of fatalities. In Paso Robles, CA.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You've also probably been a lot closer to the epicenter. Glendale is about 250 miles away from this shaker.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Local news is reporting 2 dead in downtown Paso Robles.

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

2 dead in downtown Paso Robles is the report so far. That part of town is largely old unreinforced masonry buildings, so I'm not terribly surprised the damage was more severe.

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Possible 3rd fatality.:(

At least our little nuclear teakettle seems to be ok, that's only maybe a dozen miles from my house.