Earthquake prediction?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Awimoway, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Awimoway macrumors 65816

There was an article today in my local paper (link) that says there's going to be an earthquake in my area in the next several months. Although I'm not especially worried, since we've had bad ones here in the last 10 years that weren't really all that serious (I live on the edge of the affected region, not near any major faults, and therefore far enough from the epicenters of earthquakes past to have not suffered any major consequences), I am interested to see if this guy's algorithms successfully predict an earthquake here, even though scientists have long said short-term earthquake forecasting isn't possible.

Somehow I've always believed that we would probably develop the means to forecast earthquakes better. So I think this is really interesting. Makes you wonder what other scientific barriers we will someday cross that no one said we would be able to do, like the speed of light or time travel. Or even better tornado and hurricane forecasting.

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Earthquake prediction would be extremely useful. I live near a faultline and we're way overdue for a huge earthquake. :eek:
    I don't mind if the house falls down, as long as my mac's okay. :D

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.....I tend to watch these things too with interest, being as I am in a zone that they keep saying is overdue for a "big one." I did feel the 6.x one that hit Seattle/Olympia a couple years ago although with the distance from there to here it felt more like a 4.x. I do think that sooner or later a way will be found to predict these incidents more precisely...volcanoes too, what with Mt Baker and Mt Ranier being in this neighbourhood too.....oh yeah!

4. Awimoway thread starter macrumors 65816

Great minds...

My first thought was that I'll have to make sure to unplug my Macs after the quake, in case of power surges. :D

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'd love to see the full list of predictions and not the ones that have all come true. That would be a lot more telling and interesting.

D