Earthquakes + California. Anyone afraid?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheMonarch, Sep 21, 2005.

1. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

With all the natural disasters happening around the world, tsunamis here, hurricanes there... California is just aching for this earthquake thats got everybody here talking about. I hear that California has a high chance of being hit by an earthquake 7.0 or higher by 2008 (90% by 2020). Thats scary! :eek: ... At school in SF, I'm either on the 4th or 9th floor! And that most of the buildings here aren't retrofitted!

Who here is afraid of all of this? And where would you NOT want to be?
    Where would you go?
    I wonder how long the response time would be...

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I don't live in California, nor would I. But I'd hope with all of the stuff going on that residents of the Golden State would be smart enough to put together disaster kits for themselves, with water, candles + matches, water purification tablets, high-calorie rations, radios, batteries, etc... just in case something bad happens.

Come to think of it, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to make this a legal requirement for all families to have.

3. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I live next to the nucluler power plant(like a few miles away) down in san clemente. Will an earthquake affect that? My dad says only a tsunami could make the plant go nuclear.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You can't go around living your life in fear, especially with something as unpredictable as an earthquake. You prepare yourself as best you can by stocking up on supplies and knowing what to do if one hits, and then you go on with your life.

In an earthquake, I'm going under the heaviest object I can find.

It's a 62% chance of a catastrophic earthquake in the Bay Area in the next 30 years.

5. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Opps :eek:

Stupid paranoia-injecting Discovery channel...

EDIT: Wait, I wasn't off by too much (80-90%
    But this is souther California, but thats worse because that where one of the biggest cities lives, and also the fact that they get most of their water from other sources...

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

well i was just coming to say the same thing, thank you for saving me the typing ;)

i have been through two very large earthquakes (7.1 in 1989 in Loma Prieta; a 6.7 in 1994 Northridge, CA) both times i was a few miles from the epicenter. i will admit it is very frightening to go through but you pick up your stuff and carry on with life. L.A. (well most CA) residents are masters at that.
    (strangely enough i was just talking about this with doctor Q today)

i grew up in los angeles and i miss it every day. there are hassles to deal with no matter where in the world you reside.

7. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

California seems like it would be a really cool place to live. Except for the smog and the earthquakes... but with the Nuclear Power Plant thats just a little scary! But then again if the plant thats on Lake Michigan was to melt down I think I would be getting a dose of radiation too :eek: :mad:

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'm not any more or less worried about natural disasters in CA than I was while living in Indiana. Flooding, tornadoes, snow/ice storms, and heat waves are pretty much annual occurrences in Indiana and the Midwest, but they just don't get as much press 'cause they are so common. It's like how flying in a plane is statistically safer than driving a car, but because every plane crash makes the news (and very few car crashes do) some people feel less safe in a plane than they do in a car.

I'd be more worried living in a costal region where the chance of being leveled by a hurricane was an annual event.

G5Unit,
    As I understand it a Tsunami hitting SoCal is highly unlikely due to geography. Northern California and the Pacific Northwest are much more likely to get hit by a Tsunami relatively speaking.

Lethal

9. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

I'm actually somewhat concerned about the Missouri faultline that caused the massive earthquake 100 years or so ago (?) and caused the Mississippi River to run backwards. No one around the Midwest is really prepared for an major earthquake so it could be a horrible situation. If that fault makes even a minor earthquake, say 3 or so on the Richter scale, it's one of the top headlines in the local newscasts. :rolleyes:

10. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Earthquakes don't scare me at all. I have been through every major one in California since 1988. They are freaky, but nothing to be worried about. As long as you dont have your China Cabinet all unstable and stuff, you will be fine.

Most buildings are earthquake safe nowadays.

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

(strangely enough i was just talking about this with iBlue today)

Yawn. Earthquakes don't worry me at all. Stuff shakes, property is lost, but statistically speaking they are a relatively small threat to people's lives.

Once upon a time, a great great grandpa and grandma in our family lived though the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, so I guess quakes have always been part of our family's life, but I'm speaking from my own experience as well.

I've been through numerous small and large quakes. In 1994, we lost our chimney and part of our house just barely held together. It was on the verge of collapse and needed construction work to reinforce it afterwards. We had relatives, closer to the epicenter, who had to come stay with us while their home was made re-inhabitable. If my brother hadn't gotten out of bed during one quake, a lamp would have fallen on his head. A bookcase had to be lifted off the bed of one youngster in the family, who was frightened but uninjured. Scariest of all, one of my Macs was shaken clear over to the edge of a table and was only an inch from going over the side!

Still, we never worry about the next earthquake. We deal with them as they occur and that's that.

And if California breaks off from the mainland and drifts away into the Pacific, we'll just be closer to Hawaii!

12. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Everyone is thinking about earthquakes in California on this thread and IMO they are forgetting that Western Washington is due for a very major, large earthquake. And with the really bad emergency response in the wake of Katrina, it just goes to show that those of us in Seattle are screwed IMO.

Some folks think so...

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

So you're coming to Hawaii with us?

14. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I agree that many will get screwed. But California is the most populated, and wealthy state here in the US (We're the fifth largest economy in the WORLD). I'm really curious on how the response would be and how this state would handle the whole situation...

15. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

So wish I could. I already have sun blemishes at 23 (thanks a lot sunroofs) and I found out I have allergies when I went to the Yucatan. Thanks for the invite anyway :D

Actually, I am more concerned about Mt. Rainier which is past due for an eruption and would produce Lahars that have the consistency of concrete: wet when moving, then solid when stopped. The lahar produced 5,600 years ago by Mount Rainier in Washington state produced a wall of mud 180 m (600 feet) deep in the White River canyon and extends over an area of over 320 km².

Of course if a mountain does erupt I will be grabbing my camera and getting close a possible :D

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I just felt an earthquake!

The room seemed to sway, so either I was dizzy or it was a small quake. I asked my coworkers and they said I imagined it. But then we got a phone call from an employee's spouse saying he felt a quake and that the dog had jumped onto his lap right before it started!

So there really was a minor earthquake here in Los Angeles just now. Preliminary report: Magnitude 4, in the Tejon pass area in Kern county.

17. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i was wondering why i was getting dizzy all of a sudden. :mad:

18. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Dirty liars, all of you! :p

I am darned scared of a major earthquake... in fact, my hands are shaking (oh wait, no, that's just due to my low blood sugar levels since I haven't had lunch yet, hee). Seriously though, I do get a bit anxious not so much for the safety of people I care for, but for my cats, but I do worry about human safety as well, and, well... I guess if I were being completely honest, I am materialistic to an extent so I do get a bit sad thinking about my beautiful 20" iMac getting obliterated or whatnot. :eek: I was in elementary school when the other 'big' one happend in 1989. That was crazy...

19. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I live within sight of the mountain foothills that the San Andreas fault runs under. (Contrary to popular belief, there isn't a crack in the ground that you can see.) I have emergency supplies stowed away, but I'm not worried about it happening. You can't live your life wondering whether you're going to die soon. Besides, I've witnessed every major quake of the last 30 years here and now what to expect.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The bigger threat would be the dreaded east coast earthquake that is about 200 years overdue, An earthquake of any magnitude could do severe damage to the northeast.

21. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

i lived through the northridge quake and to be honest earthquakes dont really scare me that much...its just part of life in CA i guess

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It does get a little hard to read the screen during a quake.

Attached Files:

23. barbee macrumors newbie

I am sure Arnold will take care of everything, that is, unless he's moved out of CA and become a President or whatever. Seriously, with a screwed up nation like the US, I'm sure it's gonna happen.. :)

24. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Hell yes!

I'm more afraid of the next "Big One" (thankyouverylittle San Francisco Chronicle for running a series on it this past week) now more than ever. I kinda look at it this way - growing up in New England, the worst we ever got were blizzards: sure, they knock out your power and things get really cold. But a good blazing fire in the fireplace, strategically placed candles and canned food and everything was OK.

Cali - well, that's a whole different ball of wax. I look around our apartment and see boxes on shelves, books, ceramics and other assorted and sundry items that in a moment could fly off and crush me, my partner, our pets, our fish tank, or my iMac. It's like living under the Sword of Damacles. Then I think about Loma Prieta or Northridge and wonder about the structural integrity of our building, its proximity to nasty things that would blow up and burn us down or poison us, and the ability for rescue crews to help in such a devestating situation (and thanks to Katrina, all of FEMA's competence is really in question). Driving across the Bay Bridge every other day, I entertain thoughts of the vastly incompetent and hugely cost overridden Bay Bridge earthquake retrofit and what it might feel like to have the deck disappear out from underneath me and smash into oncoming traffic or the SF Bay a hundred feet below.

So, yeah, in short, I think about the Big One almost every week.

25. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Ahh yes, the Great Tits of the Pacific. :D I live just north of you in Dana Point. I don't even think a tsunami could take those domes out. If anything, I'd think that an earthquake could do MORE damage!

Speaking of which, they just replaced all the sirens in the area with new ones that can actually talk! Craziness... http://www.innovations.harvard.edu/news/8114.html

If a 9.0 hits us, I'll bet it's pre-recorded to say "Kiss yer ass goodbye." :p