Earth's magnetic field weakening....

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Stelliform, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

They are wondering if this is a precursor to the poles swapping in a few thousand years....

Link......

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We're all going to die!! Panic!! Run for the hills!!

OK, never mind. We're talking about a potential long-term transition of the poles, which might be quite interesting if it really happens and won't destroy us or our descendants. I'm sure scientists will eventually figure out if it a reversal has actually begun, since the evidence is all around us (mostly under us). I'm looking forward to taking some nice Northern Lights photos when they happen to arrive in Los Angeles!

3. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    as far as i rememmer, this has happened before. life survived. i won't be there :)

4. Stelliform thread starter macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Based off of the article this happens every million years or so. And all we can anticipate is the northern lights, multiple magnetic north poles for a while, and then having to buy a new compass with the N's and S's reversed. :D

But I think that this article shines a light on how little we really know and how much more we have to learn as a species.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I look with great anticipation to seeing your pictures of the Northern Lights.

This is more that I want to contemplate. I will leave it to the scientists for further study.

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

What a surprise.

I saw the movie The Core twice yesterday (coincidentially, the day the article was posted), and just today I read a scientific article based on a concept related to a lot of the concepts in The Core. Of course, the article left out quite a few of the unfortunate circumstances that would result... :eek: :eek:

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

But I just bought a new compass.:( You mean it doesn't come Y2PoleSwitching Kompliant? Rats!

:p

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It will probably speed up a bit when it gets closer to the acutal swapping. But thankfully we have GPS - so that won't matter if it flips on a regular basis....;)

D

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

That reminds me of a riddle I've always liked:

Q: If a man with a shovel in Greenwich, England starts digging a hole straight down into the earth, where will he come out?

A: Greenwich, England.

10. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

11. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    well, he surely can not tunnel through the entire earth, therefore he must exit the hole in greenwich once again.

12. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

oh ok. i get it. i was going to say he gets back out at greenwich because he's too tired:p

13. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yay, but I already heard about this was gonna happen... Its just 'when'

14. glyph macrumors newbie

i wonder, if the magnetic field is weakening - is gravity weakening also?

that'd be cool, after several generations we'd become 8ft. tall giants! and we can jump really far too!!

15. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Gravity has to do with the mass of the object in question, not the magnetic field.

Unless they finally come up with a grand unified theory.

Of course, we could all be hosed if they don't find the Higgs boson, anyway. :D

16. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

well, i suppose weight lifting might get easier and less gas would be used to push cars up hill. and maybe i can pick up a person and start juggling that person around!:p

all of that eventually of course.:(
    :D

17. ktlx macrumors 6502

Even after they find the grand unified theory, gravity will still depend upon the mass of the object in this case. Unifying the electro-magnetic, weak and strong forces did not change how magnetism worked under "typical" conditions. General relativity does not negate classical mechanics under "typical" conditions either.

I think it will be interesting to see how migratory animals react to the changing magnetic field. Maybe this is why the Canada geese refuse to go back to Canada! :D