Ease my restless mind! Or some such.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Azmodon, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Azmodon macrumors member

I wouldn't really say restless... but...

Okay. I'm going to college in the fall, and I had already promised myself years and years ago that I'd switch from PC to Apple when I went. Well, I purchased the 12" PowerBook G4. Now, I know I won't be spending the majority of my time playing video games, but there are still moments when I know I'll be bored so I'll boot up, say, Diablo 2 or Starcraft or something just to pass the time. I've been looking at game listings for Macs, though, and I see several games that I own and play exclusively on my PC, such as Call of Duty. My question is this: can I just use that software, or do I need to buy it again? I'm looking at its profile on MacPlay.com and the box image even says PC-CDROM, but I'm thinking that, in the most likely scenario, the image was just copied over from the PC version from some shopper website, like Amazon.com. I could feasibly just wait until the computer arrives and keep feeding it all the CDs I have, but that worries me because I don't know what the reaction will be, and I don't very much fancy the breaking of 1500 dollar technology. I'm just ultra curious about the subject - also, do games like Anarchy Online and Guild Wars work on Macs? I don't sacrifice the majority of my time for MMOs - heck, I use them mostly for chat - but it'd be nice if the PowerBook would support 'em.

But even if everything I owned didn't work, I could always just get that Windows Emulator. I can't quite remember what it was called, and I do know that it slows down the computer as running two operating systems can be a hassle, but I figure a 1.5 Ghz G4 processor would still be able to handle the strain of my older Windows games and the Windows emulator itself.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Check the CDs of the games you own. If they are cross platform, they'll say so on the CD or the box. If not, you'll have to repurchase. In select cases there may be upgrade/crossgrades available, but not often.

VirtualPC is going to suck for Windows games. It's emulating a 2-D video card and obviously there's no hardware 3-D acceleration within the emulation. 2-D strategy games maybe, 3-D 1st person shooters fuggedahboutit.

3. Azmodon thread starter macrumors member

I feared that would be the case. Oh well - I'll just poke around and see what I need to do. Thanks.

By the way... RTCW:ET on a Mac... good? Can they play in non-Mac servers? It might seem like a silly question, but I really like that game, and I'm dying to know. I even saw this widget download that monitors servers and connects you automatically to some. So neat.