Easiest manual backup?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Schtibbie, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Schtibbie macrumors 6502

I can't (or won't) use .Mac for backup since the storage space is so low and I don't want to pay.. I intend to back up all my docs to DVDs on a fairly regular basis and to do it manually, so I won't need software running in the background constantly. Is there any easy way, perhaps even without using any installed software, to do this?

The issues I see with this: I have more than 4.7 gigs of docs (photos, etc), so I'll have to *span* disks. Doing that manually can be a serious pain, since you have to separate your Documents folder into fittable chunks.

Also, what happens to metadata, permissions, whatever, if you simply drag and copy folders and files? If I did this, would I end up with files owned by an owner who might not exist anymore (if my computer gets stolen, the owner I use on there will be "gone", right?)

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Toast has an extra/add-on called Déjà Vu, which installs as a system preference panel, and lets you do manual or scheduled backups to discs (or elsewhere). Of course Toast, as .Mac, isn't free, but IMO an essential tool on any Mac...

I'm using SuperDuper! (free usable version, cheap full version) to make a bootable clone on an external HD, for backup purposes, so I've never tried Déjà Vu, but coming from Roxio I would be very surprised if it didn't work as expected... ;)

3. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

I second Super Duper! and Toast. I use them both, and both seem to work well, but then again, I've never restored from them, so I don't know how that goes.....

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

SuperDuper! restores just fine. I've restored from a SuperDuper back-up several times and it's always been perfect.

ft