Easiest way of backing up!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Killyp, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

So I got myself a 250 gb external HD for backing up all my data, and the way I want to do it is by creating a disk image of both partitions on my hard drive.

When I try and go Disk Utility > New Image of the primary hard drive (HD1), it says this:

[​IMG]

What can I do? Will I have to insert the OS X install disk and do it from disk utility there, or is there a Free App which will allow me to do what I want?

Many thanks!

Alex

Attached Files:

2. Queso macrumors G4

This isn't quite what you're after since it doesn't create the DMG files, but so far the best drive-to-drive backup app I've found is SilverKeeper from LaCie. It will back up to any volume that mounts on OSX and is free.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Forget making disk images. Just use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! to make bootable and cloned copies of your partitions on an automated schedule. Lacie's Silverkeeper is quite handy too... they're all free (depending on features).

I use Dantz Retrospect to clone my drive.

4. ironic23 macrumors 6502

I've been using SilverKeeper to back my HD up 5 times a week and as long as the external HD is mounted, you can set for it to run at specific times. Really great in the sense that you can have your whole HD backed up while you're asleep or something so work doesn't get in the way.

5. Killyp thread starter macrumors 68040

Killyp

I've downloaded this SilverKeeper thing, and it seems to do what I want! Just testing it at the moment!

Thanks a bunch guys!!!! :cool: :cool: :D