Easiest way to back up my Tibook?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wattage, Oct 24, 2005.

1. wattage macrumors 6502

wattage

I have an external HD(Lacie) and was told the easiest way to back it up was to simply drag the home directory to the Lacie. I am upgrading my internal hard drive thus must save and reload. Much thanks.

2. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

Your LaCie drive should have shipped with an application called "SilverKeeper", which is an excellent backup application. It will automatically backup selected data on a regular basis and you can set it to even keep things you delete off of your hard drive (so you don't accidentally mess up your backup with an untimely deletion on the HD).

I use it on both of my Macs and I love it.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

5. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

Carbon Copy Cloner

I second the recommendation for using Carbon Copy Cloner. I have a dedicated 80GB HD to which I backup my PB's HD on a regular basis, and it works great.

An additional advantage was that when I upgraded to my new PBook, I could import all the settings and applications from the backup on the external HD. :D

6. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

one more vote for Carbon Copy Cloner.

if your external is the same size or larger than your tibook, then a complete clone is the best way to go. your external will then be bootable as well, in case something happens to your tibook.

after the first clone, you can do incremental backups of folders/files that you want to maintain. or, you can just keep doing clones once/week or whatever suits you best. i do complete clones because i like to back up all my library preferences, mail, and other stuff rather than just a single document folder.

7. wattage thread starter macrumors 6502

wattage

I think I'll give CCC a try, I like the bootable option. no reloading of Tiger....GGRREEEAATT! (dorky i Know). Thanks ya'll