Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackaveli

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2005
hi, i use to set my mac computer as a ftp server and then have the pc connect to it using a ftp program since they are connected to a LAN.

but for some reason i cannot do this anymore, any easy way for me to transfer a file from my Mac to PC, i know there is, so let me know haah thanks.

edit- also i use to have a folder on windows that was shared, so i could connect with my mac, i cant do this anymore either, fricking hate windows. so annoying.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
mackaveli said:
hi, i use to set my mac computer as a ftp server and then have the pc connect to it using a ftp program since they are connected to a LAN.

but for some reason i cannot do this anymore, any easy way for me to transfer a file from my Mac to PC, i know there is, so let me know haah thanks.

edit- also i use to have a folder on windows that was shared, so i could connect with my mac, i cant do this anymore either, fricking hate windows. so annoying.

I can't help with the mac to PC but regarding the shared windows folder, I have found that 3rd party firewalls don't work well with Macs. I have to turn off Norton Internet Security in order for my Mac to see my Windows PC.

mackaveli

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2005
skubish said:
I can't help with the mac to PC but regarding the shared windows folder, I have found that 3rd party firewalls don't work well with Macs. I have to turn off Norton Internet Security in order for my Mac to see my Windows PC.

yah thats what i thought, so i turned off firewall but it never showed on my mac, but after like 5 attempts it finally worked, its just annoying i connect through ftp but then the file doesnt even show the right size, windows sucks,

mods feel free to close the thread i guess since i got it to work.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
Using the wizard (ugh) create a home network on windows. Then on your mac apple+k type smb://nameyoucreatedonwizard.local

then just hit apple+k everytime you wanna connect. works fine with my windows firewall
router firewall
and mac firewall

all on at the same time

FalcorTheDog

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2005
blaskillet4 said:
Using the wizard (ugh) create a home network on windows. Then on your mac apple+k type smb://nameyoucreatedonwizard.local

then just hit apple+k everytime you wanna connect. works fine with my windows firewall
router firewall
and mac firewall

all on at the same time

How about if I want to print from my mac to a printer connected to my PC? I've looked everywhere and changed every setting I could think of, but cant get it to work. Help? Thanks!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Assuming the PC is set to share printers, you should be able to simply go to System Preferences and in the Print & Fax section, press the little plus sign in the Printer section and then navigate to your Canon through Bonjour. From memory, it'll say the location is either the PC's name or simply Bonjour. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.