Easiest way to make in install USB stick out of Lion installer?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by definitive, Apr 26, 2012.

1. macrumors 68000

definitive

So I just tried reinstalling Lion off of a DVD backup that I made, and it turns out that it's broken. I don't have a spare external DVD drive, so I'm SOL with that... The Lion Internet recovery is telling me that the installer will take several days to download, so I'm planning on taking the system in for repairs in the next couple of days.

Is there some way that I can load up the DMG or whatever else files I got from the App Store on to a ~8gig USB flash drive so I could use it to install Lion in case I have to do it again in the future? I figure that multiple USB ports will be more reliable over time than a single DVD drive that can fail at any moment.

2. macrumors 68020

I don't think the Apple Store is gonna give you a DMG of Lion.

They do, however, sell Lion on a USB stick.

If you bought Lion from the App Store, you can redownload it if you can get your system running with the disks that came with it (unless you have a system that didn't come with disks....)

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

I already have the dmg file. I'm trying to find a simple way of turning it in to a bootable flash drive that I can use to install Lion off of.

4. simsaladimbamba

5. macrumors 6502