easily deleting images in aperture

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wroey, Mar 15, 2007.

1. wroey macrumors newbie

OK, I am new to Mac (and just started using aperture today)...and I'm hung over...

BUT I want to work out how to easily delete photos in aperture. I'm talking the crap ones that I have imported (either from camera or an unedited folder) and want to get rid of entirely (not versions). It seems ridiculously cumbersome, with 3 clicks needed.

I'm ex-windows and I could just scroll through and delete, happy as Larry.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Click on the image or images you want to delete. Hit command-Delete (command == Apple Key)

3. wroey thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

thanks mate

if anyone else is as ignorant as me, it looks like you need to use aperture as your master library rather than referencing it to your HDD

small but enjoyable learning curve moving from pc to mac

ta

4. wroey thread starter macrumors newbie

actually, no...

ok tried cmd del but although it removes the file from my aperture library, it does not delete it from the HDD folder, which is what I want. I'm assuming that aperture is not the right program for deleting unwanted files. This seems very stupid (or maybe I'm stupid and don't get it)

is there an app that allows you to view and delete files in a viewing size large enough to see the pic properly. I know you can do it in finder but it means opening each picture individually which is a pain in the tits

if I drag all the photos into aperture and then delete the HDD folders where they were originally, is this the thing to do? Seems a bit radical

cheers

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

OK let if you have existing file&folders and you import them into a managed Aperture library then Aperture creates copies of all these images as masters in it's own structure. Once that is done the original files&folders are totally ignored by Aperture: it's using it's Library. If you import them as referenced masters Aperture doesn't copy the files and references the originals as Masters...

6. wroey thread starter macrumors newbie

got it...

thanks again...my little brain comprehends it now...it's just different from PC when an app contains your files!

cheers

7. jdanilson macrumors newbie

but can aperture delete the underlying referenced file

just as a follow up, what if I do want to delete the actual referenced file. Is there a way to do that within Aperture or must I do a two step dance:
    1. delete from Aperture.
    2. go to finder, locate file, delete.

Ok, maybe that's a 4 step dance.

I'm coming over from Win photoshop elements. When you delete there it asks whether you also want to remove the underlying file? It's nice, just wondering if there's an equivalent in Aperture.

8. tmooch macrumors newbie

Delete master version

I looks like if you select file->Delete Master File and All Versions or file->Delete Version then select Aperture->Empty Aperture Trash (with Move Referenced File to Trash selected) it will delete the original file.

9. jdanilson macrumors newbie

good solution

thanks, that looks like it will do the trick.

10. tomasio macrumors newbie

tomasio

made my day ; )

Thanx a lot! I was looking for this feature since I started using Aperture :D