Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Not entirely sure about other countries but tomorrow (Good Friday) and Easter Monday are public holidays in the UK so mmmm... long weekend.

But even better in my case, we have a privilege day which is an extra day off where the office is closed and it doesn't come out of your holiday allowance. So I'm not due back in the office till Weds morning... how tragic is that?

So, yeah. Some DVD catching-up, some sleeping, dinner with friends, a little spring-cleaning, and maybe a movie on Tuesday afternoon when everybody else is back at their desk. :D

What are you up to over Easter? And will you share your Easter egg?

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
2nyRiggz said:
Chill out by my aunts house and eat hotcross buns all day.....then do a little movie watching on the weekend with my family.

Bless

i'll be playin hot cross buns... oh yeah...;)

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
My company doesn't observe the Easter holiday, so we are working both Friday and Monday, plus I'll most likely be in for a few hours Saturday morning as well.
Sunday is a family get together. The whole clan only gets together over holidays.
Enjoy your break.:)

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
no official holiday days off (not that i'd get them anyways, as a temp)... but i'm taking monday and tuesday off to play some golf and hang out with my parents and niece and nephew. should be fun.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
We don't get those holidays off.... :( However, I will be running to the pharmacy to get my hands on some sweet, cheap Easter candy (Cadburry's--non of that crappy Russell Stover stuff) on Monday. I love it when it becomes like 90% off! :)

Of all the holiday candies, Easter candy is my FAVE so it's my one time of year to splurge on some good stuff. :D

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
floriflee said:
We don't get those holidays off...

This thread hasn't got legs then... shame.

Average American's holiday allowance = 14-16 days, apparently. Not good.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Blue Velvet said:
But even better in my case, we have a privilege day which is an extra day off where the office is closed and it doesn't come out of your holiday allowance. So I'm not due back in the office till Weds morning... how tragic is that?
You poor little lamb. It must be hellish for you. :p

Personally, me and Miss Jaffa Cake have got a nice lie in planned for tomorrow morning, while on Saturday we're off to see Hull City thrash hapless Burnley – followed by a trip to the in-laws for tea and to watch the first episode of Doctor Who. General pottering will follow on Sunday and Monday, before we reapply our noses to our respective grindstones on Tuesday.

And that's about the size of it.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
No days off here, either. We did get Cesar Chavez Day off though.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Blue Velvet said:
This thread hasn't got legs then... shame.

Average American's holiday allowance = 14-16 days, apparently. Not good.

14-16? more like 9 for me. New Years' Eve, New Years' Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day.

(Plus 1 week sick time and three weeks vacation)

any Yanks get 14 holidays off per year?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Hmm.. I get even less than you. <sulk>

New Year's Day
MLK Day
Fourth of July
Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day
Christmas Day

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Public holidays don't count... the 14-16 days referred to vacation allowance, I believe.

God knows, it's not like I have an authoritative source... just a random Google. :eek:

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Well first off... I'm hoping to have a nice lie-in tomorrow :)

I'll be spending Easter Sunday with my parents, but apart from that have no major plans, so probably some general lazing as well as possibly getting round to a load of tasks I've been putting off, or haven't had the time for recently (god I'm a boring old fart!)

Just realised I've only taken 3 days off (apart from the public holidays) in the past 12-13 months :eek:

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I'm flying down to Barcelona until Tuesday evening. And the weather will be <hits F12 twice> 21˚C and bright sunshine :)

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Blue Velvet said:
Public holidays don't count... the 14-16 days referred to vacation allowance, I believe.

God knows, it's not like I have an authoritative source... just a random Google. :eek:

lol:p It's all good, Miss BV.

Say, how many public holidays are observed in the UK?

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Well, my kids have friday and monday off, but I still need to work. I've got to copyedit a manuscript, work on an article for Seed Magazine, do my taxes, and fulfil my regular cognitive daily blogging. So rather than being a break, this happens to be a rather busy time for me.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I really dont want to count how much i get but i know its not much....I would of had to go into work tomorrow if it wasn't for my department(thanking them)....they do not want to pay us just to sit in the office looking at the wall so everyone wins...

Bless

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
zelmo said:
Say, how many public holidays are observed in the UK?

We have eight:

New Year's Day
Good Friday
Easter Monday
May Day
Spring Bank Holiday (Whitsun)
August Bank Holiday
Christmas Day
Boxing Day

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
dietcokevanilla said:
We have eight:

New Year's Day
Good Friday
Easter Monday
May Day
Spring Bank Holiday (Whitsun)
August Bank Holiday
Christmas Day
Boxing Day

Northern Ireland also gets an extra one on the 12th July, although they traditionally celebrate it by fighting :cool:

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Blue Velvet said:

Ah.. I don't get ANY public holidays off.. I get the appropriate amount of PTO (Paid time off) and have to take PTO when there is a holiday.

But I have a lot accrued. 844.094 Hours of PTO..

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Jaffa Cake said:
That's true for England, but I think our friends north of the border have a day or two more – they have an extra day off at New Year, for example, and I think another day in early August?

Ahhh yes I think you're right. OK I'll say we have 8 in England and Wales then :p

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I'll be hanging out with my wife, kids and the in-laws. Usually pretty casual. Good food, good conversation, basically relaxing.

I don't get Friday as a holiday, but I may take it off anyway, depending on how busy things are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.