Easy Applescript question. I think.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by amberashby, Oct 25, 2004.

1. amberashby macrumors 6502

I've never used Applescript before, but I'm wondering if it could be used to perform this simple task. I would like to have an Applescript that would change my desktop background. Is this possible via Applescript?

Thanks.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I suppose possible... but OS X already has this functionality built in unless you need something more specific... just look under "Desktop" in your System Preferences. You can have it randomly select a desktop background for you in varying intervals.

3. amberashby thread starter macrumors 6502

Not looking for a random desktop, but a way to change to a certain specified desktop without having to go to preferences every time.

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

Do this:

Code:
    tell application "Finder"
         set desktop picture to "<HD>:<Directory>:<image>"
    end tell

HD = Name of your Hard Drive
    Directory = Directory path of image (i.e., Users:User1:pictures)
    Image = image name

Edit: If you wanted to be more complex, you could have it ask which desktop you wanted as well.

5. scan300 macrumors 6502

To make the above script so you can drag and drop an image, use the following code and save it as an application. It will become a droplet.
    Code:
    on open (myRef)

set myPicture to myRef as alias
    		set desktop picture to myPicture		
    	end tell

end open
    Note: these applescripts only work if you have 'Automatically change picture' set to off in the desktop preference pane.

If you want to make an application that you can browse for an image use the following code:
    Code:
    	choose file
    	set myPicture to result
    	set desktop picture to myPicture	
    end tell

6. amberashby thread starter macrumors 6502

7. 5thplayer macrumors newbie

error code

i have the following code

set desktop picture to "<bob>:<Users:administrator:pictures>:<Earth Horizon.jpg>"
    end tell

but it keeps telling me that it it "cant make **** into a file type"

can anyone tell me what im doing wrong?

i was also wondering, how can i get the script to run for more than 1 user as in i logged in as the administrator and i want it to change the desktop picture for all users

im using 10.5.4 in applescript on a intel mac

thanks
    5thplayer:confused::confused::confused::confused:

8. scan300 macrumors 6502

You don't need the < and > characters in your path.
    it should be set desktop picture to "bob:Users:administrator:pictures:Earth Horizon.jpg"

You can't change the picture for all users without logging in to each user and running the script. You can however get all users to set their desktop picture to an image located in the shared folder. Volume:Users:Shared: Then just replace the image when you want, keeping the filename the same (only the image changes). Each user account will have the new desktop image displayed when they log in. (No need for applescript here)

9. 5thplayer macrumors newbie

thanks

thanks scan300 ill try your suggestion, i work in a school so i wanted to see if there was an easy way to do this in a fast way,

thanks