Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi !!!

Can one buy two laptops if one is a student ???

I know that as a student there are restrictions, but I don´t remember them.

I remember one can buy an ipod, an ibook, and a powerbook each year. Is that correct?

Also, if I buy in sept. of 2005, I can only buy until sept. 2006. Is that also correct?

Thank you,

igmolinav.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It's really per financial year because in Australia, our academic year is January through December but the deal still applies to the July through June year. :)

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
One laptop
One desktop
Two monitors
One iPod, except shuffle 512mb

If you really want two, ask a friend to help you out

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
my friend's cousin's uncle's brother's daughter-in-law told me Apple does not retain records on what you have bought at their stores when using student discounts...

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
tekmoe said:
my friend's cousin's uncle's brother's daughter-in-law told me Apple does not retain records on what you have bought at their stores when using student discounts...

even if that is true( which im not sure it is) you as the custermer should take iit upon your selve to keep track becuz if people take advange of apple ,apple might stop the discount and that would make the people who follow the rules mad :mad:

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
Does you school provide Apple products at the bookstore? I know that we can easily walk into our bookstore and buy software and hardware (including iPods) whenever we want because our school is a reseller. If you really need more than one laptop (although, in all honesty, I'd rather blow all that money on an external hd and a cinema display), you can see if you can buy directly from the school.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Thank you : ) !!!

Thank you very much for all your help !!!

The reason i asked the question is because my younger sister may also buy a computer and we would do it paying with a card that is under my name.

Thank you very much again : ) !!!

igmolinav

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
mad jew said:
I thought it was one iPod, one laptop and one desktop per year.

And of course, Mad Jew is right once again. ;) The cutoff is July 1st, I believe, so you could buy an iBook on June 15th, and another iBook on July 7th, for example, and still not be doing anything wrong.

And Tekmoe is right, that Apple doesn't retain records of this stuff. Zap1 is alsoright when he says not to abuse this discount, because they are trying to be generous when giving you a discount, and you're just taking advantage of a company offering students a break.

However, if you really want a discount, or if you're both students anyway, I guess it's okay if you buy 2 laptops in one year using the discount. Just buy one at the store, and one online. Or buy your laptop today, and hers tomorrow. :)

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Thank you for your feedback !!!

Hi !!!

Thank you very much for all your help !!!

My younger sister recently started studying architecture.
I already study economics and finance (I know you´ll say
boring ;) ). My sister and I have the idea of a small
architecture business a little further into the future and
for that we opened a bank account. That bank account
is under my name and from it eventually we´ll get the
resources to buy computer equipment. Last night, we
decided to get only a computer for both of us and later
on as the business progresses we´ll get another one. I

igmolinav :)

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
The thing is that when ordering online they don't even check to make sure that you really are a student. (At least they didn't when I ordered mine)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
excalibur313 said:
The thing is that when ordering online they don't even check to make sure that you really are a student. (At least they didn't when I ordered mine)

They don't always, but they sometimes (randomly) do. :)

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Apple does not always ask you to verify Ed status, but why abuse it? The honor system isn't so hard to abide by.

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
In Canada, as it is the only country I can speak of, with regard to Higher Education, it works as follows. There are two ways to buy at the educational price: Buy from the Apple Store (physical location), or buy from an educational reseller (this includes the online Apple Store). When an item is purchased from the physical Apple store, there is an educational limit of one (1) CPU, and one (1) iPod per year. Educational resellers, because they are neither owned by Apple, nor do they deal with the retail market, do not abide by such restrictions. That is, you may buy as many Apple products at educational pricing from an Apple Educational Reseller per year, provided you satisfy the reseller's requirements to prove you are a student. In Canada, the online Apple store is the domain of the campus resellers because A) There had never been a physical Apple store until this year, and B) it was considered a perk given to the resellers, so that they would be paid if a student from their school bought directly off the website.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
dswoodley said:
Apple does not always ask you to verify Ed status, but why abuse it? The honor system isn't so hard to abide by.

If you'd read the thread, you'd see that the OP isn't really abusing anything. He wants to buy 2 macs for 2 people, both students. Nothing wrong with that. But it might appear improper because it's on the same card, that's all.

londy

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2005
louisville, ky
i know you've decided to only buy one computer, but did you try contacting an apple sales person to ask? it seems that if you're both students and both can be verified at a particular institution, the card that's paying shouldn't matter much. it could be that your parents are paying for your computer or that you're buying yours and one for your sister. i'm thinking that as long as you long into the apple store using your individual names, the card you use shouldn't matter (provided that the shipping addresses are authorized on the card that you use).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.