Easy security

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by St. George, May 7, 2003.

1. St. George macrumors member

Hello all.
    Blinding site - this is my first post!

I've had my G4 iMac now for a year and love it to bits. Working on MS PCs really negs me off now!

Anyway, I just got cable bradband (always on) and want to beef up the security. I've set the inbuilt firewall to the basic settings but I'm aware that this really is basic. I've got Virex running everytime the machine's turned on and I've just got HenWen and LetterStick - these are good but pretty useless because I don't understand most of the alerts.

Is there any program I can get (without cost implications I'm afraid) that I could use to lockout the machine more comprehensively?

And are there any good sources of information (for the beginner) on the internet that I could tap to increase my own knowledge in regards to security issues.

Regards
    St. George

2. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

home network

-Welcome!

Are you behind a router? or just a modem?

Brick house is a cheep firewall that uses the OS X built in one ..... you dont have to go in and eddit all the config files by hand at the terminal. A very nice one.. but you have to pay more... is netbarrier. Its a very nice software firewall and it has both setting for newbies and experts.

You may just want to get a cheep router, set up dhcp and call it a day. Your NAT addresses behind the router are not seen by the outside world and would add an extra layer of security. Most have a built in firewall as well.

There is tons of information on network security out there... it just depends on how much you want to dive into it....

3. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

evildead - people just search for a connection, and then try to enter with various schemes. by default, the router is going to leave everything open, dhcp or not. dhcp just auto assigns the subnet IP's...

4. St. George thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

I think I'll have another bash at Brickhouse... and then buy netbarrier when I can't get it to work:)