Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyberone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
hi - where I live they only sell PBs (17") with the standard US keyboard. but I need a certain european language keyboard.

back home I made an inquiry: they could send me a PB "home"-keyboard, I just have to provide them with the serial number.

question: is it easy to switch the keyboard? or a major hassle that you better dont deal with?

many thanks for any feedback.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, I'm glad I looked it up. I was about to just start giving you a guide on how to replace the iBook keyboard, thinking it was probably the same. It could have got pretty ugly pretty quickly. :eek:

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
not sure that you would have to go to that extreme though, unless there are a LOT of different keys that need to be changed

if the number is minimal you might be able to get away with just removing the keys from the current board, and replacing them with the ones from the new one.

but to swap out the keyboard totally yeah, its a pain.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
mad jew said:
Yeah, ridiculous, isn't it. I assumed it'd be like the iBooks too. :(

I knew it was harder on the 12"+15" pb's, but I guess the 17" is really hard. On the other pb's I you just remove some keys and it's SOMEWHAT like the iBooks.

I still like the feeling that if something gets in my keyboard, like a spill, I can whip it off in about 10 seconds max, before it damages the computer. Then I get spend $40 and get a new one and be back in business. :)

cyberone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
PlaceofDis said:
if the number is minimal you might be able to get away with just removing the keys from the current board, and replacing them with the ones from the new one.

is it easy to remove and replace the keys?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.