Easy Video Editing Software ?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by .Joel, Oct 9, 2005.

1. .Joel macrumors member

Hey all,

I have about 200 minutes of .dv video files I want to edit and encode to play on a dvd player. The conversion to DVD isn't the problem. I am looking for some mac software that will allow me to cut the files, add effects etc during the video quite easily. What is a good piece of software that isn't too basic and lets me create a good quality custom edit, but isn't over the top where it requires a 6 month course / learning curve.

Regards,

.Joel

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    iMovie, installed on your Mac as part of iLife, will let you edit, crop, extract the audio, add music, text and transitions.

It's very easy to use - pretty much drag and drop clips then drag ends to edit. Drag and drop in audio, effects etc too

3. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Second iMovie. If iMovie is to basic then go for Final Cut Express.

4. SeanDelevan macrumors newbie

iMovie is not easy to use

I am not sure how anyone can say that iMovie 09 is easy to use. This may be true if you have prior experience using the earlier versions of iMovie 9 (which I unfortunately don't have).

Having come from a windows based environment, I am beyond frustrated with iMovie 09. I consider myself to be somewhat computer literate but this program is ridiculous if you have never used it before.

I am looking for alternatives to iMovie and welcome any and all suggestions and advice.

I am currently using mpeg streamclip to edit my clips and also quicktime. This part of the process is easy enough. Trying to merge the clips and do simple things like add transitions becomes a nightmare with iMovie.

I think anyone who says this program is easier to use than Windows Movie Maker is truly insane.

Then again, maybe I am just an idiot for not being:mad: able to figure this out.

5. SeanDelevan macrumors newbie

Please list alternatives

If anyone can list alternatives for me, I would appreciate it. t does not ahve to be free software but not off the charts expensive either.

The most important thing is that it is easy to use. I am not doing anything advanced with this software, just basic stuff.

Thanks.

6. xStep macrumors 68000

iMovie 09 is very simple.

I've played with WMM and found it difficult to use. My copy was from the XP disto.

Perhaps, or perhaps your not one of the people wired for iMovie. When iMovie 08 replaced the previous version, there were arguments about it not being easy to use, in part due to it not being a linear editor any longer. That didn't stop me from figuring it out quickly. iMovie 11 has a linear mode now.

I encourage to find some videos showing how to use it. YouTube has many. The things you described that you want to do couldn't be easier. Seriously!

As for alternatives, I have no experience with these two;

7. mainstay macrumors 6502

mainstay

I just finished using iMovie '11 last night for the second time and my iMac just about ended up being kicked in.

To say this program is frustrating is a gross understatement.

All I wanted to do was take a SINGLE still image, place a simple audio clip overtop, and then manually create subtitles. The entire audio clip is 1 minute and 22 seconds long.

This process took me 6 hours ( holy mother **** !)

The program wants to tell me how to lay itself out: the user has very little control over customization of layout. That's fine to an extent, but the windows kept reverting to display projects from past attempts... NO, go away - I don't want you showing. Or at least, if you can't display something useful, just close the whole box... no, we are apple and we say this is in your best interest.

Try chopping up the audio clip into smaller, discreet pieces: NO.

Adding in subtitles looked easy, but then they kept changing fonts and sizes. In front of my eyes! WTF?

I also output a copy that had conspicuously missing subtitles. Text I knew was there and then suddenly wasn't. I went back to iMovie and oh, that text is truly gone. When? I don't know. My fault, maybe but I don't think so. Oh wait, now that text over there is gone too. WTF? Where are you guys all going? Don't know. Oh wait, that audio clip is now 10 seconds shorter... who did that?

I actually had to get my wife in to watch as all of my subtitles disappeared randomly, one by one (no hands on keyboard or mouse). And because this wasn't a user action (just iMovie eating my ****ing work) I couldn't undo.

And where is the save button? What about save-as? I want to make versions of my projects... and save as I go. Arrghhh!

Oh man, vein in neck pulsing.

I too believe myself to be reasonably competent when it comes to computers and using software but this program is just plain awful. I mean awful.

I had everything perfect and then we were looking at different output options.

I hit cancel and the GODDAMN program cropped my entire project to the original opening 7 second title... EVERYTHING else gone! And no undo.

WTFHFLHF ?!

My only recourse was to use a time machine backup and then redo my work (for the 8th time!).

This doesn't even broach the topic that the output still quality was degraded to a very high extent (a full resolution, high quality image suddenly looked like a iPhone still)... but I wasn't about to re-try making this program work, because I think the bottom line is that it does not.

Will never ever ever use this steaming pile of software **** again.

So I'm looking for good alternatives too.

8. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

I agree, but it's not bad once you learn it.

Subtitles are hopeless with iMovie. You can simulate them with captions (be sure to set the fade in/out to 0 seconds), but that's all.

Click on the sound to highlight the box yellow (detach the audio first if necessary). Point the mouse to where you want to split, then right-click (or ctrl-click) and select "split". Note that the entire purple area must be boxed yellow, not just the lower half.

Highlight the text you want to fix, then click the "show fonts" button. It will give you a full selection of system fonts, not just the 7 or 8 lame choices they push on us. Or, just use a rich-text editor like TextEdit, then copy-and-paste into iMovie. I always do this because iMovie often fails to save my captions too (perhaps because I use foreign characters), so I save the text files for backup.

Right-click on a project and select "duplicate" - that's all. It saves automatically when you quit (or maybe it keeps saving constantly?).

I always export using Quicktime (= big file), then use MPEG Streamclip or Handbrake to encode. Usually I'll make an mp4 with settings for multi-pass, deinterlace, and decomb. I get poor results with de-blocking filters, so I don't even bother with them.

Quicktime seems to have an insidious gamma problem, which I read probably occurs when importing, so all movies look darker when you view them later. You can compensate slightly by increasing the brightness, but it's a terrible "solution".

Me too.

9. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

iMovie is not user friendly. Final Cut Pro is.

10. xStep macrumors 68000

Can't say I've heard of someone having so many problems. It does make me suspect user error. Sounds bloody frustrating for sure.

You may want to search the Apple discussion forums to see if others have had similar problems.

Do you have an Apple store nearby, or a friend who has used iMovie. Perhaps an overview of the problem areas will help you out.

If you want fine control over things like titles, then you'll have to move up to more serious editor. That would likely be Final Cut Express or perhaps Adobe Premier Elements which I think is available for the Mac. Apple is releasing Final Cut X shortly for $100 more than Final Cut Express sells for today.

For making video from stills, the following may be better to use. I haven't confirmed these links recently.

As for the output quality issue. That could be a limit in the software or a fault on your export choice. I know I've like the quality of iPhotos slideshow videos over iMovies quality. My iMovie Export Guide may be helpful.

11. xStep macrumors 68000

That is funny.

12. simsaladimbamba, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011

simsaladimbamba

It depends on the user. I learnt on Adobe Premiere in the 90s, then switched to Avid MC ten years ago, and I find iMovie complicated, as I don't know what to do to make a simple movie.
    The same goes for iDVD, I can work much easier with DVD SP, I just can't get my head around iDVD.

13. mainstay macrumors 6502

mainstay

I am quite competent at Premiere (Windows) and I used to give classes on iMovie 6 HD. So I'd rate my skills as being up to the task of a 1 minute clip.

I ALMOST started the screen capture (screeflow) to record the disappearing subtitles. I also agree that it sounds user error related so that's why I called in my wife as a witness to the totally bizarre behavior.

I just couldn't believe it when it started automatically cropping my project (and the subtitles and the audio that was in that section).

The text was there but it also kept reverting to previous choices.

It felt like the real-time auto save wasn't quite keeping up and when it refreshed itself it reverted to the project at an earlier time... sometimes 30 seconds ago, sometimes 3 hrs ago.

I didn't see that, thank you. (To be fair, I was seeing red after the 2nd hour and the 4th time I had to go back and put things back in that mysteriously disappeared)

It sounds like there are work-arounds for a lot of these issues (or tricks for making the program work as expected, or just a lot of people accepting the foibles of the program), but for me I just wanted a simple project that was the LEAST complicated I could get (audio from an ipod, no video (so no transcoding issues etc.), a high res still JPG, and outputting to standard Mac formats (nothing fancy here folks) and the program simply didn't work.

So how could I trust this to handle a real project that is long and complicated?

(system is a 2.8 dual core imac with 4 GB of ram and nothing else running).

14. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

It's probably because I never used imovie 09 (so have no idea how it works), but I feel like final cut pro is easier for me.

But I can totally get that imovie seems difficult. It's not too intuitive.

15. xStep macrumors 68000

Exactly.

16. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Maybe to you, but most editors I've encountered have expressed their dissatisfaction with iMovie due to it's convoluted interface and lack of user control. Final Cut's layout makes much more sense to someone who understands proper editing workflow.

17. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

This is why the gods from Apple came along and gave us Final Cut Express - Pretty much the editing workflow from Final Cut Pro for a lot less. (I did the iMovie HD -> FCE -> FCP -> FCS loop, and if I hadnt needed Motion and Cinema Tools I wouldve happily stayed on FCE)

18. xStep macrumors 68000

iMovie is for the average consumer to put simple videos together. The simple things can easily be done while the not so simple things take a little investment in time like any sophisticated tool. iMovie is not difficult to understand if you remove your blinders and accept that it has stricter limits than pro apps. Sometimes our past experience can be a big hindrance in learning new things. Old dogs can learn new tricks. It just takes them longer. ;)

19. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Proof of this will likely become a lot more evident when Final Cut Pro X is released and we're all running around like headless chickens for a few weeks trying to work out exactly how to do everything we do in FCP7...

20. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

I've had average consumers tell me iMovie is confusing.

21. xStep macrumors 68000

The average consumer is already challenged. Even simple software concepts confuse so many of them. ;)

22. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Looks like you have an older MacBook. See if you still have iMovie 6HD. It's easy to use and allot better than the newer versions. If you do use it, trust me when I say, save often. It's the only issue I have encountered with it. Plus, you can get plugins for it too.

23. beelzebomb macrumors newbie

Agreed. imovie is simply ridiculous. It doesn't support all movie formats and I couldn't even find a way to 'simply' load a 'project'. The words user-friendly are just not relevant here. I've also tried jahshaka, which seemed equally non-user-friendly (how DOES that thing work?), and avidemux - which wouldn't even open without crashing on my macbook!
    It seems this is one area where windows has it covered with some pretty simple basic cutting/splicing software but os x hasn't.