easy way to tell a Sawtooth from a Gigabit??

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Montano, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Montano macrumors regular

Can you tell just from looking at a certain part, which is which?

Thanks

2. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

i'm not positive, but i think the Sawtooth has a green lighted power button (when on). I also think that the Gigabit G4's have white lit power buttons. My G4 is a Gigabit G4 Dual 450, and it has the white light. My brothers Digital Audio G4 also has the white light.

I can't tell right now but i think the label also should say gigabit on it, if it is one.

3. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

All Macs invariably have the specifics of the machine written right on them. It should give the name of the model, and the original stock configuration. If I'm not mistaken, on "Graphite" G4 towers, this is listed on the back of the machine, near the bottom of the I/O panel. If it isn't there, it should be just inside the machine, though the former is considerably more likely than the latter.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The ethernet controller chip, the gigabit machine should have a heatsink on the ethernet controller -- while the sawtooth doesn't.

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

everyone is missing the blindingly obious fact that gigabit's have adc sawtooths dont, they just have agp with a 16MB dvi rage. no extra slot on the agp slot for the 28v power.

6. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

Yeah but I have a GeForce 3 in mine which has ADC.

Yes, original poster was right - green power button for AGP/PCI Macs

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

then if the adc port works it's a gigabit if it dont it's a sawtooth, it's the power key on the agp slot thats the easiest to recognise

8. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Sadly, it's not even that, just an 8 MB Rage 128 with VGA and S-Video out, not even DVI. The later models might have had a card with DVI though.

9. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

On the back panel there is a small marker that should give you the specs for the original computer. On an eMac if you pull down the little drive door, you can see there the specs.

It shows CPU type-speed/RAM/Hard drive/Optical drive/Modem/Voltage in kind (110v or 210v)/

Example would be: G4-1Ghz/256MB/80GB/Superdirve/56k/110v

That is for a machine that is quite a bit newer than yours, but it gives you an idea.

Or I guess you could run Apple System Profiler and see what kind it is (Powerbook 6,3 or Powermac 3,5) etc. Then google it...

11. Montano thread starter macrumors regular

It's a Sawtooth. It does have DVI but not ADC.

Thanks for the help :D