Easy ways of backing-up iTunes library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mikejames, Apr 9, 2006.

1. mikejames macrumors newbie

I've been using iTunes for over a year now and have about 10 GB of songs on it. However I've never backed-up my collection and am starting to get a bit worried about losing it all if my Mac Mini ever fails.

Does anyone have any advice on easy and effective ways to back up iTunes library?

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    There are two options...

First is burning data CDs/DVDs from your iTunes folder but the downsides of that are that it takes a lot of CDs/DVDs, it's tough to remember to reburn additions to the Library when you get another diskful. The good thing is that you'll be able to take them anywhere else and use them. And you could store them at another location so that thieves took your Mini, they might not also get your backup.

The next option is backing up to an external hard drive. It has the benefit of being quicker and allowing you to do it more regularly/find things quicker. But you lose the 'other' location for the most part.

Bear in mind that there are also tools like iPodrip which will let you recover songs from your iPod

3. mikejames thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,

I think buying an external hard drive is probably the best option for me. The idea of backing-up on loads of CDs/DVDs doesn't appeal to me (I'm too lazy). Also, when I get round to burning all my cds onto iTunes I'll be about 20 GB.

How much data can the average CD/DVD hold?

The iPodrip sounds interesting. Only problem with that is that I've got a 6MB ipod Mini so I can't get my whole music collection on it.

4. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I use Apple's Backup software to back up my entire music folder and iTunes Library files to an external drive. I then have a smart playlist that updates whenever I purchase new music. I burn the smartlist once I have enough to fill a CD or DVD.

5. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Maybe you already know that. But make sure to backup the two files inside the iTunes folder as well: "iTunes Library" and "iTunes Music Library". The playcount and playlist informations are stored there.

6. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I second this as highly important. I know that I wold be sad to lose my play counts etc... going all the way back to January 1st, 2003. Would have been further if I had known to back that file up.

7. mikejames thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the advice. I've come to the conclusion that I need to-

1. Buy an external hard drive for my Mac Mini.

2. Buy a 30 GB iPod (I've been looking for an excuse to buy one of them for ages).

3. Remember to back up both iTunes library and iTunes music library folders

Thanks again.

8. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

I think getting the iPod is the coolest option. ;)

9. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

1. good idea, there are a few external HD's that fit right under the mini, and there relatively cheap, check out: http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObj...4cGB5ITSRHiSA/2.PSLID?mco=CC8438E7&nplm=TE798

and

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObj...4cGB5ITSRHiSA/2.PSLID?mco=CC83B944&nplm=TD497

2 and 3. Both good ideas...enjoy!