Eating At The Trough Of The Golden Corral

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ok, I live in Indiana, in farm country, so its no surprise that places like the Golden Corral do well around here. Until recently, my wife and I hadn't really considered going since buffets and crowds aren't exactly how we like to enjoy a meal. But some friends of ours actually recommended the place, and just like us, they weren't native Indianans - but came here by way of California. So taking that recommendation, we decided to see exactly what it was like this morning since we were out and felt a little adventurous.

We haven't actually talked to our friends yet, but we believe that they must have either been under the influence of very powerful substances or the recipients of a large sum of money from the Head Office of Golden Corral. There really isn't much to tell - if you've ever been to a buffet style restaurant, it pretty much is all the same. In this case, numerous patrons, cramped seating arrangements and a selection of high carb, high calorie, high cholesterol and high fat content food awaits you at the buffet. It seems everything comes with some sort of glaze or sauce - either a translucent buttery sauce or high fructose corn syrup - with the special items having both.

Bleh - I had some sort of grilled meat, some fruit (watermellon), tamales and a bite or two from my sons pancakes. I couldn't eat more than that, even after walking around the buffets for several minutes and finally settling on what seemed to be the lesser evils.

So we won't be going there again and without falling into the trap, I'm not even going to start describing the other patrons, better off just leaving that to imagination.

That's my rant for the week, I think.

Thanks,

D

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I've found a nice little family run Persian restaurant here that does a lunch buffet, and there's enough in it to get a real meal without too much carbs, so for $7 I can get a big plate of

Saffron chicken, turkey & celery stew, beef & bean ragout, lightly sauteed fresh veg, greek salad w/ feta and olive oil. If I want some carbs theres dolmathes, hummus, cous-cous, and about 5 different rice dishes, mildly spiced. Mmmm. And persian tea with bergamot...

Now I'm all hungry...

Think I have to go downtown for an errand. Some kind of errand, anyway. Any kind...

3. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Oh god, don't get me started on buffet restaurants. They are so disgusting and draw the most repulsive "Midwestern"-type people (no offense :D). It's just a bunch of ugly fat people stuffing themselves full of horribly unhealthy food. It's like a feeding before a slaughter, but in this case the butcher isn't going to do it, heart disease is :(

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You oughta try a Luby's! :D

No, actually don't. I feel for you, I've been to a number of those. Even the Fresh Choice ones out here make me ill though. So no more buffet-style restaurants for me.

However I do like to try new places and occasionally that gets you a craptacular meal too. Went to a fajita place that looked good a while ago and got some horrible stuff on a plastic tray with two tiny soggy flour tortillas. Ugh. However, last weekend we went to the swap meet and got these delicious tamales - I got a chicken mole' tamale that was amazing. Three of us got two tamales and a fresh aqua fresca for $18!

And I can't complain about the steakhouses around here...

5. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

I know what you mean, I feel the same way about buffet retaurants. Just feels too much like going to the trough.

6. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Ugh. I dont like buffets. They usually have lower quality food and attract quite a stereotypical crowd.

Chinese buffets are a different story though.

7. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

The best buffet I have ever had - even better than those on cruises - is The Mandarin. It is only in Ontario, but anytime I'm out east I make a note of going there. I went 3 times this summer :D.

There is so much food its crazy. Everything from all the chinese food to steak, to sushi, to pizza oh and the waffles. They have the best waffles I have ever had. All of the deserts are just soo good. Just writing about all of this is making me tear.

8. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Oh, god. Don't get me started on vegan restaurants. They are so disgusting and draw the most repulsive "Northwestern"-type people. :p

9. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

The only buffet I like is Khans Mongolian BBQ in Minnesota.

It is a Mongolian buffet, with all the food you select, set out raw (Chilled). You select the Meats, Vegetables, seasoning, and sauces you want, Bring them to the grill, and they cook it for you.

The food is great, Tastes great, and is great for you!

My favorite item to make is, Beef with tofu, spinach, onion, noodles, carrots, and lots of Garlic, Dragon, and teriyaki sauce!

mmmm. I am having a craving for that now.

BTW This place attracts mostly younger college students , and or professionals. So Even though I live in the Midwest, I don't see the stereotypical "Midwestern grazer" at this restaurant :)

10. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

I DO NOT DO BUFFETS...EVER!

I enjoyed reading the comments in this thread though. Buffets (and especially Golden Corral) are disgusting and I heard they use phemaldyhide or something to keep foods looking their best after sitting out all day. YUCK!! :confused: :eek:

11. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

if you are drunk enough then concerns about sanitation fly out the window and buffets suddenly seem like a great idea.

Sober though is a different story. Those handles to the scoopers frequently slide into the tray of food...thus contaminating the entire lot.

FUN.

12. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Could be worse - watch one of those buffet places here in the South around dinnertime. Nothing like watching a herd of the great unwashed with their offspring going to feed at Ryan's.

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Not a fan of the Golden Corral. Disgusting food, disgusting eating conditions (I am not even going to talk about the bathrooms :eek: ), and a bunch of people stuffing their faces with tons of unhealthy food.

Sounds like a load of fun, doesn't it? ;) :rolleyes:

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i refuse to eat Buffet style, its disgusting and just gross.... plus i am a picky eater and i dont know, just something about Buffet makes my stomach turn.

15. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've been to some Indian and Pakistani Buffets and they were great. Probably not good for you, per se, but so much better tasting and with things not floating in butter sauce. But those are all privately owned restaurants, not chains.

D

16. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Ugh. I hate buffet restaurants. Around here in CT Hometown Buffet is popular. They remind me too much of college dorm cafeterias (where I ate and/or worked for 4 years)...not to mention that the food tastes like crap. If I'm going to go out and spend money on a dinner out I'd like my meal to be prepared fresh and served to me. Otherwise, I'd just assume stay home and cook my own meal...

17. iGary Guest

iGary

My first job was working at Bob's Big Boy filling up the breakfast bar on Saturdays and Sundays...we oft called it "slopping the hogs."

Mongolian BBQ I can do - even some Chinese buffets, as long as there are not 50 people fighting eachother for food...but Golden Corral?

Uh uh.

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I live in the South, and there are a lot of fat people here. About a month ago for lunch some comrades decided that we should go to Golden Corral, never having been I figured it would be fine. I was so wrong. The food was mind numbingly nasty. Never again will I set foot in that place. No wonder there's so many fatties around..

19. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

My grandfather loved buffets like the Golden Corral. As a child in Slovenia in the first decade of the 20th century, he learned to live on a shoestring as part of a tenant farming family. After coming to the States he never lost his simple tastes, and he never understood why we would want to go to more expensive resturaunts when the Golden Corral offered large quantities of food for cheap.

I remember going there with him when he was still alive - cramped "cafeteria style" seating, only occasionally cleaned properly. People stuffing purses and pockets with leftovers wrapped in napkins...not what I would call a "dining experience".

20. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

21. iPoster macrumors regular

Mmm, Chinese buffet! Of course, once you've had Dim Sum in Hong Kong, what you get here in the States pales in comparison. :rolleyes:

The food at Golden Corral is of varying quality, but we've found that their fruit/salad bar and bakery section can be quite good, and it's difficult to beat the value for the money. We didn't eat there very often, not at all in the last few years since there are no GC here in Charleston.

22. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Really? There must be 2 or 3 in Durham alone.. :eek:

23. Bote macrumors regular

Bote

UGHHH!!! I had a similar experience at The Old Country Buffet. The place was so gross. They make you pay before you enter and refused to refund my money and I was only there for 5 min. It was worth losing the money however. I would rather eat off my floor than eat at that place. The first bad sign was that the table was covered in this greasy film and the napkins were stuck to the table. :eek:

24. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Definitely a sign to L-E-A-V-E! :eek:

25. Bote macrumors regular

Bote

While arguing with the manager about my money I noticed a guy knock his bread off the edge of his plate and then pick it back up and put back on his plate. That is when I gave up and left before I puked!!! :eek:

Their tv commericial makes it look real nice though.... :rolleyes: