Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've been having motivation problems as of late for getting up early and getting to the gym. I was very strong with it for a year straight and now its fading. So I've been going to the gym after work in the afternoons on those days I just don't get up early.

Yesterday the weather was quite nasty, temperature in the mid to upper 90's and very high humidity. But it didn't stop me from making it to the gym after work!

Last edited:

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
I've been having motivation problems as of late for getting up early and getting to the gym. I was very strong with it for a year straight and now its fading. So I've been going to the gym after work in the afternoons on those days I just don't get up early.

Yesterday the weather was quite nasty, temperature in the mid to upper 90's and very high humidity. But it didn't stop me from making it to the gym after work!
Have you considered a home gym? Roll out of bed, do some light warm-up and stretches; go to the workout location and do more significant warm-up and stretches; do the workout. Not only have you saved time, you're working out before you've ever had a chance to object to it. :)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Have you considered a home gym? Roll out of bed, do some light warm-up and stretches; go to the workout location and do more significant warm-up and stretches; do the workout. Not only have you saved time, you're working out before you've ever had a chance to object to it. :)
That would be nice, but I live in an apartment and there is no room for what I would want/need. If I ever win the lottery and build my own house, a home gym is already in the plans.

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
That would be nice, but I live in an apartment and there is no room for what I would want/need. If I ever win the lottery and build my own house, a home gym is already in the plans.
It does come down what you want/need, you're right. A good workout can be had, even if only to augment usual ones at a gym, in a small footprint for little money. Kudos to you for overcoming your morning log-jam. You're in the never say "I can't" group. Adapt, improvise.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

In my opinion, it really doesn't matter whether you exercise early in the morning or afternoon. The main point of focus should be getting your exercising done in a manner that is congruent with your duties and your body.

I look forward to running first thing in the morning. Unfortunately, my work schedule is about to change and I will have to start running in the afternoon during the week. While not optimal time wise, I will keep the focus on making use of the time in the afternoon so that I can continue to train the way I want and need to.

Find what works best for you. If your zeal has been waning lately, change the method and manner of your exercising, so that you shock your mind and body with a new routine that encourages mental and physical growth. Create a goal for yourself with either a race or some other form of reward. And each day, mark off on the calendar you are one step closer to x goal. You can also create an exercise accountability thread on MR, where your fellow forum members encourage and motivate you (and other members) to stay focused and on track. Make a friendly contest of it with those participating denoting such in their signature. Maybe one of the MR members could create a special avatar for those who participate.

Just like with the MR blood drive, doing something like I just mentioned could help inspire others to start exercising and feel comfortable sharing on a forum of like minded MR friends.

Something to consider...

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007

Find a workout buddy for the accountability and motivation. I have the same issue. Once I get started though (like 2 weeks straight) then I'm good on my own for a while. It's been pretty gross here (Northern VA) as well. Hard to go running outside in this heat. Been sticking to the treadmill.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
In my opinion, it really doesn't matter whether you exercise early in the morning or afternoon. The main point of focus should be getting your exercising done in a manner that is congruent with your duties and your body.
I used to exercise after work for a long time. Then last year I switched to the early morning as I found it was the most efficient use of my time being that my body was waking up early anyhow. I was able to workout, get back home, eat, get cleaned up and ready for work all before 7 am. Then I had the rest of the day to work and relax afterwards.

I'm not sure what has caused the recent change in not getting up as early, but I don't want to miss my workouts so I've been going after work again. I'm still going in the mornings on the weekend since I'm in no hurry to be anywhere, I just delay getting there an hour or so.

Reactions: Sword86

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I used to exercise after work for a long time. Then last year I switched to the early morning as I found it was the most efficient use of my time being that my body was waking up early anyhow. I was able to workout, get back home, eat, get cleaned up and ready for work all before 7 am. Then I had the rest of the day to work and relax afterwards.

I'm not sure what has caused the recent change in not getting up as early, but I don't want to miss my workouts so I've been going after work again. I'm still going in the mornings on the weekend since I'm in no hurry to be anywhere, I just delay getting there an hour or so.
As long as you are being consistent, I wouldn't focus on what caused the recent change. Just go with it, as long as your mind and body are on board.

Sometimes, us humans have a tendency to overanalyze events trying to find a hidden meaning or problem, when there isn't one to be found. Just like with MR, we have to do our inner best to stay on topic, lest we find ourself lost in the forest of 'what if's, could be's, and could have beens.'

Reactions: Sword86

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Find a workout buddy for the accountability and motivation. I have the same issue. Once I get started though (like 2 weeks straight) then I'm good on my own for a while. It's been pretty gross here (Northern VA) as well. Hard to go running outside in this heat. Been sticking to the treadmill.

I used to workout with a friend, but I found that it was more cumbersome for me to have a partner who was doing the same workouts as I was. Meaning that we did the same exercises and would have to wait for the other to finish with equipment which meant I was cooling down and heart rate calming down too much. Plus, even more important, it took much longer than I liked being at the gym.

These days I prefer to workout alone, put my headphones or earbuds in, and move through my workouts at my pace. I have a couple of friends at the gym and they're like me. We say hey to one another and that's about it before or during our sessions. We get on with our workouts and only really talk when we're done for a little bit. When I'm exercising I like to be in the zone and not be bothered with chit chat while I'm in the middle of a session.

As long as you are being consistent, I wouldn't focus on what caused the recent change. Just go with it, as long as your mind and body are on board.

Sometimes, us humans have a tendency to overanalyze events trying to find a hidden meaning or problem, when there isn't one to be found. Just like with MR, we have to do our inner best to stay on topic, lest we find ourself lost in the forest of 'what if's, could be's, and could have beens.'

I'm not focused on what happened for this, it was a passing thought the other day and I figure it's another one of those weird phases we go through and that changing up the pattern is a good thing for the body, especially since it is quite adept at adapting to routines.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I used to workout with a friend, but I found that it was more cumbersome for me to have a partner who was doing the same workouts as I was. Meaning that we did the same exercises and would have to wait for the other to finish with equipment which meant I was cooling down and heart rate calming down too much. Plus, even more important, it took much longer than I liked being at the gym.

These days I prefer to workout alone, put my headphones or earbuds in, and move through my workouts at my pace. I have a couple of friends at the gym and they're like me. We say hey to one another and that's about it before or during our sessions. We get on with our workouts and only really talk when we're done for a little bit. When I'm exercising I like to be in the zone and not be bothered with chit chat while I'm in the middle of a session.

I'm not focused on what happened for this, it was a passing thought the other day and I figure it's another one of those weird phases we go through and that changing up the pattern is a good thing for the body, especially since it is quite adept at adapting to routines.
I share your sentiments most of the time when I am running. I like the solitude of being alone with my thoughts, music, or audiobook while I am running, as I really focus and concentrate on every movement, heartbeat, breathing etc. If I had a cute female partner to run with that was feisty etc., that would definitely be a pleasant exception to my running. :D

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
Will it have room for this?

Haha. It is cool, I'll give it that.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Got my 17 mile run in this morning. It was very humid and cloudy most of the run. Towards the end, the sky cleared and a light breeze followed.

Somewhere around mile 14.25?, a good looking lady ran up next to me and struck up a conversation. She had noticed me at the park a lot and was curious if I was in training. She was impressed with my pace. Told her I was training for an ultra marathon. She introduced herself and we had a nice conversation for the next 1.25 miles (or so), until I bowed out as my run was done. It was a very nice way to end my running day. :D

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I woke up with the best of intentions to run 7 miles. After looking at the weather, I decided to stay in bed and play word games on my iPhone. :(

Best of luck on your ultra, BasicGreatGuy!

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Fiber wise, do any of you see a major difference in psyllium whole husk versus powder?

I made it to the gym this morning at 6 am and did 30 minutes on the elliptical machine and then did an arms workout; triceps, biceps and forearms. It felt pretty good too.

I've always quite enjoyed a back workout. The tightness you feel and the strength your back gains in your older years certainly helps. The only time I've "thrown" out my back was when I skimped on back and leg workouts.

How do you find the elliptical compared to regular old running or a treadmill? I've been toying with the idea of getting one for home use, because while I like to run, my body can't take the 60-70 miles it used to do years ago. I'm happy if I can manage 20-30 miles a week now.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
How do you find the elliptical compared to regular old running or a treadmill?
Since I left active duty Marine Corps I do not run. If I use the treadmill I walk at a fast pace, but don't run due to asthma and the hard impact on the knees and back. The elliptical is non-impact and I can get a better stride and rhythm anyway with it.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Knocked out 6.2 miles this morning. Didn't feel as bad as I thought I would, considering the heat -- but it still sucked. I'm glad to have gotten it out of the way. As much as I like the idea of running in the evening, I do not have the motivation to be active in the PM.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Renzatic

Suspended
Haha. It is cool, I'll give it that.

As awesome as that is, and as much as I'd love have one, I bet it costs the earth.
[doublepost=1471284802][/doublepost]
Did a 12 mile run first thing this morning. Did some light speed intervals throughout. I usually set aside one day a week for light speed work, with the rest of the runs being easy zone 2.

Congrats! :D

I've managed to push myself to 7 miles biking the other day. It's still not as much as I'd like, but I'm getting back there. I'm starting to get to the point where doing cardio feels good again, rather than wearing me straight out after 5 minutes.

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
As awesome as that is, and as much as I'd love have one, I bet it costs the earth.
Yep, and I'm pretty sure orthopedists and lawyers look at it as potential $$$. No net; no safety lines. Tilted, moving product with relatively small grip-holds. What could go wrong?

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
It's based off of the idea of the revolving rock wall. Which does use a safety line and thick foam ground to drop down onto. What happened to people's sense of adventure? Nothing makes your heart beat faster than hanging off a ridge from a 25 ft drop.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
[doublepost=1471284802][/doublepost]

Congrats! :D

I've managed to push myself to 7 miles biking the other day. It's still not as much as I'd like, but I'm getting back there. I'm starting to get to the point where doing cardio feels good again, rather than wearing me straight out after 5 minutes.
I need to get back in the bike, hope you return it in the same condition you took it ....................:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.