Eating Healthy...

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacAztec, Jul 8, 2005.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I know there have been a lot of threads about food recently, but I thought I would post this one.

How many of you guys eat (or try to eat) healthy? Like low fat, low sugar type foods? I have been doing a lot of it lately, I like it. I am not out of shape at all, in fact I am in awesome shape, but I like knowing that I am eating good foods.

I went to the supermarket today and bought 96% Lean Ground Beef Patties. 4.5G Fat per patty, 24G of Protein. That is awesome! I cooked up two of them, with lowfat cheese, on whole wheat buns, with tomatos, red onions, ketchup, mustard, lettuce. VERY GOOD.

Another high protein, low fat meal I eat are "protein" dogs. Get fat free hot dogs, lowfat or fatfree chili, and lowfat cheese. Make a chili dog with this stuff, put it on whole wheat bread, and you have a chili dog that is about 2G fat, 24G protein! Sweet.

What are some foods that you eat that are low fat (recipes too)?

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Fish fillets pan-fried in about a half-teaspoon of oil in a non-stick pan. Pan sauce is optional. Lemon juice works just as well.

Rice is always good too.

Got a great veggieburger reciepe too.. Unfortunately it's at home at the moment, but I might be persuaded to drag it out if anyone's interested.

Pasta with tomatoes during the summer is another tasty low-fat meal.

For anyone who's interested, the Moosewood Low-Fat Favorites cookbook is an excellent source of tasty, healthy meals.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i've been making efforts, and while my diet would still scare even moderately healthy people, it's nothing compared to what i used to eat. I try to avoid red meat entirely, actually i try to avoid all meat, but fish is OK and chicken is damn near unavoidable (also so much tastier than tofu in a salad). Any meat I eat has to be lean, and if I so much as see someone eating the chunks of fat, i throw a fit (i'm terribly popular at formals). But on the other hand, i stay away from artificial sweeteners-- i'll do the whole, low-fat low-sugar alternatives, until i have to consume splenda or nutrasweet or whatever. Sorry, but processed sugar wins over ????. Above all else, I eat less now than ever (if you balance out the anorexic year with the binges, it's still more food than i eat now) and it's all food that serves my body better, which is a Good Thing. The best way I can tell my diet is OK, is that i stopped exercising a few months ago (had a seizure... and never got back in the habit, tho i need to) and yet i've continued to lose fat and build muscle mass. So at least I'm allowing my metabolism to coast.

edit: i'd love that veggiburger recipe, I keep making half-assed attempts to go vegitarian, but I can't find a protein substitute that I can stand!

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Just watch out on the commercial "low-fat" foods, often the manufacturer substitutes sugar or starch instead of the fat - because they are cheap ingredients that bulk up the food and give good mouth feel. So low fat does not necessarily equal low calorie.

Arguably, a food with some saturated fat is better than food with high sugar or starch or hydrogenated (trans-) unsaturated fat.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

My default eating habits are healthful. That way, I can "cheat" for special occasions without too much concern. Nothing will guarantee good health, but we can certainly influence our chances.

If I'm with a group at a burger-oriented restaurant, I used to eat turkeyburgers as often as the standard beef ones, until I discovered that I actually prefer veggieburgers to turkeyburgers. What's in veggieburgers, anyway? More often, I pick salads.

There are cooked vegetables I don't like (mostly the orange ones), but I like almost all raw vegetables, for which I'm glad.

I don't recommend eating any one food in massive quantities, to the exclusion of others, even if people claim something in particular is good for you. A friend of mine once ate so many carrots that her skin became tinted! I think it's best to eat a varied diet and to make sure the foods you have the most often aren't particularly high in fat and calories. I'm still not sure if the dedicated carb counters are on to something or are swaying too much too one side of the diet-fad pendulum.

6. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I have to eat fairly health, else my stomach starts to act funny, in a very bad way.

It means I actually have to avoid most low-sugar food/drink since they often contain sugar-replacements that can be unhealthy for me.

I also try to avoid fat food, but on the other hand some fat whould do me good, since I'm pretty skinny. Much of it is actually pretty repulsive to me. I've never liked it. (At least not when there's layers of pure fat. Yuck!).
    I stopped using butter on my bread when I was very young. When we were visiting some relatives of her, she actually had bribe me with a comic magazine so I'd eat the buttered bread. I don't have to bribed any longer, but I still don't like it :D

As for meat, it's mostly chicken. Occationally reindeer meat (it's somewhat expensive, though), which is pretty healthy.

I eat lots of bread. I'm not really a "dinner-person".

7. Lau Guest

I try and eat fairly healthily. But I'd rather eat decent food than some processed low fat chemical stuff, i.e. proper ice cream with cream and sugar every once in a while rather than some low fat sweetened chemically rubbish every day.

8. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

lol i did that when i was really little...like 1 or something. my parents got all panicky i was turning orange before they realized it was all the carrot baby food i was eating :D
    i try to eat healthy, but i'm a sucker for red meat...

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ok, here goes.
    Now, this isn't exactly the lowest of fat items, there is 1/3 cup mayo, but it's shared among 12 patties. The texture is a little fragile, so pack these suckers tight. The taste is awesome. Apparently, both mushrooms and cashews are high in 'the taste sensation called umami' which imparts a flavor tasters describe as 'meaty'. Tasty.

10. Lau Guest

They look awesome. I'll definitely try them over the weekend and let you know how it went. Mmmm.

Thanks!

11. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

that's the way to go, definitely.

all this processed meat is actually quite dangerous too. i won't eat anything with high fructose corn syrup in it. good food is more healthy, and by that i mean get a good pint of ice cream, with cream and sugar, the way it's supposed to be, it's better in every way, the low fat stuff with anything processed is so bad for you.

it's amazing how many people think they're eating healthy, when they really are not in the slightest. just simply stay away from anything that isn't natural and you'll do so much better.

12. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Ooooo... I'm a sucker for healthy, yet DELICIOUS eating. Mmmm.

Corn Salad
    I've made that recipe twice now, and it is SO FREAKING GOOD. I added 2 limes instead of the one, and OH. YUM.
    You can even omit a lot of the oil, and have it be almost no-fat.

Ohh.. it's so good, stuffed into pita bread...
    Mmm, home-made corn salad, stuffed into home-made, perfectly puffed pita bread! Yum!

(Tip to perfect pitas: the dough should be sticky, yet not stick to your hands, the oven needs to be FRIGGING hot, and a pizza stone helps so much. let it preheat to 15 minutes so the pizza stone gets hot.)

Yuummmm....

13. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Be wary of "low fat" foods. They are often pumped full of chemicals and who knows what else. Be wary of the processed foods that claim to be healthy. Be wary of false advertising - orange juice is a better source of calcium than milk. Modern milk is not good for you! There are lots of nutrients but our bodies have trouble absorbing them. Homogenization makes the proteins in milk not able to be absorbed by the body. Cows are fed horrible food, pumped with hormones to make them produced more milk, live in horrible conditions, and then are pumped with antibiodics when they get sick (living in those conditions, I bet that happens more often than you'd expect), and those antibiotics can be transferred into their milk. Lots of studies point to milk to causing heart disease, type 1 diabetes in children, and cancer (not to mention obesity).

source: http://www.rense.com/general3/yech.htm

Sorry to go off on a rant, but I gave up milk on a diet and people always look at me like I'm crazy and tell me that "milk is good for you", when it isn't.

I try to eat organic, I try to eat 5 small meals a day, and I try not to eat anything with an ingredient that I cannot pronounce. I don't really have a problem staying away from desserts, never been a big fan of 'em myself (however you could wake me up from the dead with a good cinnamon roll).

scem0

14. iGary Guest

iGary

You're worst enemies are:

Artificial colors, sweeteners and preservatives.
    Non-distilled water (tap or otherwise).
    Any oils other than olive or expeller pressed canola.

I'm about 30 pounds overwiehgt right now, as soon as I get back on this regimen, i'll be back in shap in no time, works a charm keeping the toxins out of your body.

15. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

While on the subject of toxins, many processed American foods put toooooooons of toxins into your body. If you eat a lot of snack foods and junk food you are probably filled up to the ears with toxins. There are many cleansing diets that work very well and they will give your immune system and your health in general a big boost. There are all kind of detoxifying teas and what not, I'm not sure how well those work. But after a detox diet you will feel clarity in your thinking, increased stamina, and decreased allergies.

Should have mentioned toxins in my first post.

scem0

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Tuna

Packed in water of course

Woof, Woof - Dawg
    [​IMG]

17. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Get the dolphine safe though :).

Are there any brands that aren't dolphin safe anymore, though? So many people are advocates of 'safe' tuna.

I don't know about this so I'm just going to say this objectively, but many health experts recommend not eating tuna at the moment because of recent levels of mercury in tuna and other fish. I don't know if that's something you should be worried about though. Might be an interesting thing to google and do a little research on :).

scem0

18. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Not neccessarly true. The water quality were I live is excellent, so drinking tap water shouldn't be a problem. Of course, that might not be true for most of the world...

Unless you had some other reason for staying away from it?

19. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

why's that?? i always thought distilled water contains absolutely nothing and is only really good for filling up your car radiator no?

20. iGary Guest

iGary

It's pure water...what else are you looking for?

21. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

One big thing for me has been going to the market now that it's nice out and getting better veggies. Since I hurt my back and can't have my garden this year it's been a lot better than the cans or frozen stuff. Something to try is using pure honey to put on that grilled chicken or fish with some other spice if you like. I mostly grill my food (taste and I know how I like it) even in the winter :)
    That veggiburger recipe looks good :)

22. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

is it "pure water" though? doesn't water naturally have minerals etc in it? isn't that a good part of the water?

23. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I agree... not to mention the fluoride that the govt. puts in. We all want beautful smilies, eh? :D And most people are used to drinking water w/ some minerals in it; if you were to taste distilled water (and were unused to it) it would taste rather, um, disgusting.

That is so true these day. Wild caught salmon versus farmed. Farmed salmon are actually fed other ground up fish/ animal parts in the form of pellets turning the salmon into a most appetizing turd-colored brown-- that bright pink/orangey color is just a lot of dye. :( Also a lot of "dolphin safe" tuna is horrible for other sea critters. Numerous sea turtles are killed, sharks are snagged, etc. etc. Go Monterey Bay Aquarium and their seafood watch!

24. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

OK, I guess we can't drink the water or eat anything then...

Woof, Woof - Dawg
    [​IMG]

25. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Just be cogniscant of what you eat, that's all.

Just because it says "studies show that this can help you lose weight" doesn't mean that it is healthy or that it will help you lose weight *cough* yogurt *cough* yoplait *cough*. I mean, a laxitave will cause me to lose weight, it is anything but healthy. Plus, I seriously doubt the accuracy of that study in the first place.

scem0